Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2012, 11:54 AM

59 posts, read 170,585 times

Advertisements

I disagree with Naima, but then again, we are probably in different "stages of life." I have a pool now, and HATE it. It means that my 3 year old son can not play in the yard without me being there the whole time! I would so much rather have yard space to play ball. We can go to the country club or people can go to community pools. But, when I look for a home, a decent yard is a requirement! As I look online at homes there, I am floored by how many homes (80%?) have pools, but no yard space! Deal-breaker for me.

BTW - does anyone know, is it a huge ordeal to have a pool removed, and have dirt hauled in, to take it back to yard space?

I have always had a front driveway, so do not have experience with the back-alley system. I had never seen that before looking at houses in TX.
I do agree that front facing garages are an eyesore! Driveways coming from the front, to a side-entry garage are the norm where I live now. I have a neighbor who has side-entry, but is on the corner. They use their garage as storage, they could not fit a car in there! The door is always up, and it is such an eyesore! I am sure we have regulations about that, but they are not enforced. So, I prefer side, but would take back, or even an alley anyday! As long as I can find a house with enough yard space for kids to play (and not pool), I do not think I will mind the alley situation.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 01-15-2012 at 06:29 PM.. Reason: please include quote when you refer to someone else's post - long old thread, what is it you're disagreeing with?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2012, 06:56 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,266,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern1979 View Post

BTW - does anyone know, is it a huge ordeal to have a pool removed, and have dirt hauled in, to take it back to yard space?
Depending on the codes in the city where you live, it can be. Some cities let you break off the top few feet of the pool lining and fill it in. Others require that you remove every part of the pool's structure and cap/remove any water lines going to it. I know a family in Preston Hollow who had a pool removed and it cost over $10,000. It was a fairly large pool but it was still cheaper to take it out than it was to repair it; apparently it had an enormous crack in it. I don't know if the 'degree' of removal (total) was required by the city or not. Try googling 'pool demolition' or 'pool removal', and/or calling the city where you're looking to move and asking them what their permit/code requirements are for pool demolition. I'm not going to sugarcoat it though; removing a pool is outrageously expensive.

On the plus side, you can't even tell there used to be a pool in their yard anymore. Even years later the site is perfectly level. I can try to find out who did the work if you're interested.

Quote:
I have always had a front driveway, so do not have experience with the back-alley system. I had never seen that before looking at houses in TX.
I do agree that front facing garages are an eyesore! Driveways coming from the front, to a side-entry garage are the norm where I live now. I have a neighbor who has side-entry, but is on the corner. They use their garage as storage, they could not fit a car in there! The door is always up, and it is such an eyesore! I am sure we have regulations about that, but they are not enforced. So, I prefer side, but would take back, or even an alley anyday! As long as I can find a house with enough yard space for kids to play (and not pool), I do not think I will mind the alley situation.
In my neighborhood we have alleys for garbage collection. Some houses have rear-entry garages that are accessed via the alley. Some corner lots, such as mine, have side-entry garages. Still others have front-entry.

Old 01-15-2012, 07:33 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times
much of the +/- appeal of rear-entry garages/alley ways depends on the people doing the judging...
for some people they don't mind because it is what they grew up with and expect
for some people it is totally undesireable and they would never choose home in any area that had that factor...
MOST people who know about home design/building esthetics will agree that homes with front-entry garages are just less apealing for variety of reasons...starting with economics that usually equate to smaller lots/cheapest way to build...

but again it all goes to what is prevalent for the neighborhood
since most neighborhoods are designed with similar features like whether or not garages are front facing, or J-drives, or side/rear entry you rarely find a every type of garage entry in 1 neighborhood done by same developer...

Old 06-06-2022, 04:19 AM

1 posts, read 444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyanger View Post
My favorite layout is porte-cochere to the side with 3rd car garage on the far side with passthrough to side courtyard and access to the 2 car garage beyond

All homes should be like this
Don't know if you're still on here anymore but in case you are...

I had no idea what "porte cochere" meant so I looked up the definition & YES, YOU ARE CORRECT. Well, in my opinion anyway. I really love those. Smart about house pictures, all of us should be internet stalker paranoid. The world we live in now is nothing like it used to be - at least nothing like how things were when I was a kid. [I'm 39]

Old 06-06-2022, 12:15 PM

1,103 posts, read 1,659,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goomba82 View Post
Don't know if you're still on here anymore but in case you are...

I had no idea what "porte cochere" meant so I looked up the definition & YES, YOU ARE CORRECT. Well, in my opinion anyway. I really love those. Smart about house pictures, all of us should be internet stalker paranoid. The world we live in now is nothing like it used to be - at least nothing like how things were when I was a kid. [I'm 39]
This was from 10 years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas