Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2010, 07:21 PM

9,418 posts, read 13,500,168 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Nifty View Post
I noticed something out in the Chuhauhuan desert of Big Bend. When out on the desert, it is very hot and dry. 108 degrees on the desert can feel very comfortable because ones sweat immediately evaporates. When approaching the Rio Grand River by way of walking along a path cut through a dense, fifteen foot tall vegetation hugging the river about 500 feet to each side, one can feel the humidity the closer one gets to the river. I think the humidity in Dallas depends on where a person lives.
Another interesting phenomenon I noticed out in the desert were the rain storms. One could see the curtain of rain falling clearly in the mountains whereas that curtain evaportated below to become clear before any rain fell on the desert.
This is also our experience on a trip to Big Bend many years ago, though it was in March and not hot. I think we may have made it to about 80 each day, but only when you got close to the river did it feel uncomfortable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2010, 01:23 AM

15,531 posts, read 10,504,683 times
Yeah it's hot, but this summer has not been that bad.

Old 08-01-2010, 02:24 AM

990 posts, read 2,303,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bascat348 View Post
I moved here from nevada,las vegas about 4 months ago.The desert has dry heat and that is hot.Peolple ask me all the time wich is hotter texas or nevada and my answer is hot is hot no matter where youre at but the humidity seems to make the heat a little more managable at least for me.
I just went on vacation to Vegas a couple of weeks ago and it was in the 110 degree range. I can say the heat definitely felt different, and I can say it was kind of invigorating. The air was hot and hit you in the face when you went out, but it didn't feel overbearing. I felt very refreshed there. Hot yes, but not uncomfortable. Today in Dallas was really overbearing. Definitely thicker, heavier air and really uncomfortable to go out and do things. Yesterday in Houston wasn't as overbearing as Dallas today, but definitely stickier and more annoying.

Old 08-01-2010, 09:12 AM

722 posts, read 2,101,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Nifty View Post
I noticed something out in the Chuhauhuan desert of Big Bend. When out on the desert, it is very hot and dry. 108 degrees on the desert can feel very comfortable because ones sweat immediately evaporates. When approaching the Rio Grand River by way of walking along a path cut through a dense, fifteen foot tall vegetation hugging the river about 500 feet to each side, one can feel the humidity the closer one gets to the river. I think the humidity in Dallas depends on where a person lives.
Another interesting phenomenon I noticed out in the desert were the rain storms. One could see the curtain of rain falling clearly in the mountains whereas that curtain evaportated below to become clear before any rain fell on the desert.

Its like that around El Paso too, There is a strip of green going along the Rio Grande and you can see the curtains of rain especially if on the west side of the Franklins looking out toward New Mexico. Since its about 4000 feet up, its near 100 during the day, low 70's at night, it was nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas