Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2010, 10:06 AM

2,930 posts, read 5,272,792 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
Kind of feels like Houston in Dallas today - only it's cooler and it smells much better.
houston smells just fine to me. Its not like its everyday we have to smell the refineries, actually, its very seldom.

Old 09-14-2010, 09:04 AM

912 posts, read 1,888,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by feufoma View Post
Son, the area extending from Houston's Museum District through Hermann Park and into the Texas Medical Center already puts anything in Dallas to shame. Don't show your ignorance so quickly. Signed, your elder.
Houston likes to tout itself as the largest city without zoning. What this basically means is that the city doesn't have planning. The flood controll in Houston utilizes sunken freeways to hold flood water. If the city plans on sinking freeways to connect city centers, as Dallas did with Woodall Rogers Freeway between Uptown Dallas and the Arts District in downtown Dallas, it will first need to elevate around both the entrances and exits of such below grade portions with a round levee system of clay.
You see, Houston's highest elevation is reportedly 52 feet above sea level.
I have shown clear evidence how elevated freeways have cut off development in Houston between its principle core urban areas. When looking at a map of Midtown in Houston, the only area of significance having development is in the northwest quadrant where it has poured in from a section not cut off by an elevated freeway. Please note how that particular section is connected to the already well developed neighborhood of Montrose. The argument often made by Houstonians is that this development in Midtown is all new. Actually, the anchor development for the recent new growth has existed in that part of town for years.
The section of below grade freeway to the east of Midtown is so massively wide that it is a hindrance to development while on the other side of it exists a ward area with this being a neighborhood so run down that it is commonly perceived as bordering on a ghetto or slum area.
Realistically, the area running west to east between Uptown Houston and downtown Houston, respectively, along Allen Parkway and Memorial Drive through Memorial Park, from River Oaks, and to both sides of Braes Bayou are far better connected to downtown Houston than is the Texas Medical Center.

Last edited by Mister Nifty; 09-14-2010 at 09:08 AM.. Reason: tweak

Old 10-28-2010, 11:11 AM

6 posts, read 17,368 times
Actually I love Dallas never been to Houston im from Illinois and im moving there in March btw I cant wait, and I dont know why theres a rival between Houston and Dallas could someone explain plz?

Old 10-28-2010, 11:48 AM

8,560 posts, read 11,216,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasTcrazy View Post
Actually I love Dallas never been to Houston im from Illinois and im moving there in March btw I cant wait, and I dont know why theres a rival between Houston and Dallas could someone explain plz?
There is no rivalry between Dallas and Houston other than whatever one-upman-ship a poster, or citizen, chooses to parade.

The only sense of rivalry is when the football teams play each other annually and the results, as far as a season are concerned, are null.

I lived 25 adult years in Houston with one year before and ten years after that 25, living in Dallas. In the course of life on earth, no one in either city concerns himself with the other. Their foundings and participation in the history of Texas are completely NOT related.

Old 10-28-2010, 11:50 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,166,264 times
If you have a few hours to read:

//www.city-data.com/forum/city-...dallas-vs.html

Old 10-28-2010, 12:05 PM

912 posts, read 1,888,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasTcrazy View Post
What you perceive as rivalry isn't always the case but could be just simple comparing and contrasting. If you are moving to Houston, then you need to take into account certain things like the Greenspoint (gunspoint) phenomenon and the potential for other parts of the city to quickly erode away. While the city has long prided itself on being the largest city in the United States without zoning, such lack of planning helped its once pretty Greenspoint area, seemingly overnight, become a crime ridden area bordering on ghetto status.
Also, if you are moving to the Houston area, then expect a falling off in customer service. This is because Houston is closer to the border. Look, I mean no offense when claiming that Hispanic people have a difficult time internalizing "customer service" as the customer being considered more important than our closest family members. So, as Hispanics are family oriented, in Houston, customer service is quickly going to hell in a handbasket.
Gangs are a problem in Houston as illegals fearing to call on the police are being victimized by organized crime. While this is certainly a problem in Dallas - Fort Worth, it is going to be a worse problem in the Houston area.
There is no such thing as flood control in Houston as the area is too low in elevation. The day is going to come when a hurricane is going to devestate Houston just like one devestated the city of Galveston. Significance? Galveston was spared for such a long time by hurricanes that the city, at one time, was the primary city in Texas and the second wealthiest in the United States. When such a hurricane finally hits Houston dead on, will it have the same effect on its status?
While Houston and Dallas are similar and can be compared to each other, there exists vast contrasts between the two cities.

Old 10-28-2010, 02:30 PM

229 posts, read 607,081 times
best post ever

Old 10-28-2010, 03:23 PM

1,365 posts, read 2,609,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
D/FW is a cluster**** of narrow freeways & a joke of an HOV lane with no real defining city centers. Its soul less. Its suburban sprawl at its worst.
Those who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

Old 10-28-2010, 03:33 PM

229 posts, read 607,081 times
dude's an idiot.

Old 10-28-2010, 03:46 PM

1,365 posts, read 2,609,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
Dallas is better in many regards but it can't compete with Houston in terms of urban potential.
You're kidding right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas