Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2010, 12:28 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,166,264 times

Advertisements

Sometimes it gets up into the 70s and 80s in Feburary (about flowering quince and daffodil time) which worries a lot of people because the trees and plants start to bloom prematurely and there is a risk of another freeze which will kill the blooms.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2010, 07:51 AM

1 posts, read 825 times
Check out my blog, LowerOakLawn.com for the latest news, events, and info on life in the Dallas Design District!

Old 09-03-2010, 07:55 AM

4,803 posts, read 10,175,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mils84 View Post
Thanks for the reassurance re: icy roads. I think I'm just freaking out for the possibility of snowy winter... California definitely does not have that in the winter!!

in the mountains it does......

Old 09-03-2010, 08:14 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,882,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandstorm214 View Post
There will be multiple nights in an average winter with low temperatures in the 20s. Usually one or two nights a year in the high teens as well, but that's pretty rare. High temperatures below 30 in the winter are practically non-existent.

If you've never seen it in the 70s in the winter in Dallas, you haven't spent much time here. I just picked January 2009 from the National Weather Service website as a random example since January is usually our coldest month. It was over 70 on eight different days, and over 80 on three of those days. Even this past January, which was MUCH colder than normal, had three days over 70. I've actually been on a jet ski on Lake Lewisville on New Year's Day before (I think it was 2005) and it was well into the 80s outside.
That is what I was thinking. In my 40+ years of living in this area I've seen PLENTY of days in the dead of winter that were over 70. I can think of many a Christmas Days when we would be outside with the kids on their new bicycles or when I was a kid on mine and no one had on so much as a jacket and usually in shorts. Or the one birthday party my kid had on or around January 3rd one year and we had the bounce house outside, kids all playing in the backyard, cooking out and not a single person even wore a coat or jacket. It was BEAUTIFUL and very warm!!!

Old 09-04-2010, 06:31 AM

5,406 posts, read 13,278,915 times
The weather guy said that yesterday, the temperature in Dallas hadn't been that low since May 9. Well, it wasn't low, but it was better, about 87. The lower humidity makes all the difference in the world. This morning, it's in the low 60s and is supposed to heat to 88. It's a lovely morning and the cooler it gets, the lovelier it becomes. I think you will like the cooler weather here as opposed to the winters in southern CA. I know I do.

Old 09-04-2010, 06:49 AM

17 posts, read 40,727 times
In Dallas, the last time we had three-four days of snow and ice and things didn't melt down much during that time was once in winter 1986-1987. Streets stayed pretty frozen. ... Main problem here is a quick flurry of ice that make take power out for awhile, usually just a neighborhood-by-neighborhood problem. A suburb, or part of a suburb, may have power down for days (while the weather is sunny and back to normal) ..but the rest of the area goes along fine without any power disturbance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas