Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2010, 11:34 PM

4,207 posts, read 15,270,655 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS1 View Post
Why does anyone tip at Sonic? Are they doing you a favor bringing your order to your car instead of making you walk in to the kitchen and get it yourself? That's their job, and they do make standard minimum wage.
Unfortunately that's a BIG misconception. Carhops make on average $3.50 an hour. There is one in Garland that pays $2.50. They depend on tips to make their living. The carhops are the ones that take the orders, prepare the drinks, clean the outside, the trays, the floors, windows, refill the dispensers etc. They don't just sit around and get handed a bag to take outside, some of them are even trained to help out cook when there is a rush. They are on their feet for hours and they don't get paid when they go on their mandatory break.

However, I still agree that they should not assume that they have to keep the change. I would too, speak to the manager if it happened. It has never happened to me. I always tip them.

Naima
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2010, 06:20 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,516,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
I would like to know where Sonic has a drive through window--
what town/location--
we have been to many sonics in our Mid-Cities area in Tarrant County and there are none like that...
Greenville Ave in Dallas.

Old 10-04-2010, 09:19 AM

871 posts, read 2,692,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsumner View Post
Unfortunately that's a BIG misconception. Carhops make on average $3.50 an hour. There is one in Garland that pays $2.50. They depend on tips to make their living. The carhops are the ones that take the orders, prepare the drinks, clean the outside, the trays, the floors, windows, refill the dispensers etc. They don't just sit around and get handed a bag to take outside, some of them are even trained to help out cook when there is a rush. They are on their feet for hours and they don't get paid when they go on their mandatory break.

However, I still agree that they should not assume that they have to keep the change. I would too, speak to the manager if it happened. It has never happened to me. I always tip them.

Naima
Actually, you are perpetuating the misconception, since as I'm sure you know (or maybe you don't), that in those cases the employer is required to make sure those employees make the minimum wage, i.e., let's say a carhop in Garland works 80 hours in two weeks, and does not get one single tip. Everyone knows their paycheck for those 2 weeks is not simply $200 pre-tax ($2.50 * 80).

Now in restaurants I can buy the counter to this that servers don't take those jobs to earn the minimum wage, but Sonic is fast food and a bit different and I think everyone sees a difference between a Sonic "Server" and a server at the Olive Garden, for example.

Old 10-04-2010, 10:27 AM

912 posts, read 1,889,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pappy97 View Post
Actually, you are perpetuating the misconception, since as I'm sure you know (or maybe you don't), that in those cases the employer is required to make sure those employees make the minimum wage, i.e., let's say a carhop in Garland works 80 hours in two weeks, and does not get one single tip. Everyone knows their paycheck for those 2 weeks is not simply $200 pre-tax ($2.50 * 80).

Now in restaurants I can buy the counter to this that servers don't take those jobs to earn the minimum wage, but Sonic is fast food and a bit different and I think everyone sees a difference between a Sonic "Server" and a server at the Olive Garden, for example.
We have our priorities all backasswards. We shouldn't be here to celebrate life with the owning managers, but with the subserviant workers. The sake of business is not the reason we allow contractors to proprietize our behinds for us. No! We do this so we can free up some time for ourselves to be happy.

Old 10-04-2010, 02:04 PM

1 posts, read 2,533 times
I work at Sonic and I am a carhop. At our sonic we usually don't get tipped in drive thru. Technically we are your waitress so I don't see why we shouldn't receive tips but in drive thru its different. I can't help wonder if you can "thank you" and they took it different. When I give someone their food and/or drinks and they give me money and say thank you, I thank them back and walk away cause it means they don't want their change. I would notify the manager because we are not allowed to ask for tips. If they are doing it to you then they are probably doing it to others.

Old 10-04-2010, 05:37 PM

871 posts, read 2,692,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reinna28 View Post
I work at Sonic and I am a carhop. At our sonic we usually don't get tipped in drive thru. Technically we are your waitress so I don't see why we shouldn't receive tips but in drive thru its different. I can't help wonder if you can "thank you" and they took it different. When I give someone their food and/or drinks and they give me money and say thank you, I thank them back and walk away cause it means they don't want their change. I would notify the manager because we are not allowed to ask for tips. If they are doing it to you then they are probably doing it to others.
Thanks for the explanation. Could be the OP didn't understand this and may have unintentionally signaled to the carhops that he/she didn't want their change. OP said he/she is not familiar with Sonic.

As to tipping though in general, if I have cash and pay cash, I do tip. But I like the convenience of paying with a credit/debit card [when I don't have cash] by sliding the card into the menu holder, and when I do that I never get a receipt with a tip line to sign OR I don't get the option on that screen to enter in a tip amount even beforehand.

So when I pay with credit/debit, I don't tip because I don't have any cash on me and Sonic doesn't give me the opportunity to tip other than simply giving cash to the carhop.

Old 10-04-2010, 07:40 PM

1,631 posts, read 4,229,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pappy97 View Post
Thanks for the explanation. Could be the OP didn't understand this and may have unintentionally signaled to the carhops that he/she didn't want their change. OP said he/she is not familiar with Sonic.

As to tipping though in general, if I have cash and pay cash, I do tip. But I like the convenience of paying with a credit/debit card [when I don't have cash] by sliding the card into the menu holder, and when I do that I never get a receipt with a tip line to sign OR I don't get the option on that screen to enter in a tip amount even beforehand.

So when I pay with credit/debit, I don't tip because I don't have any cash on me and Sonic doesn't give me the opportunity to tip other than simply giving cash to the carhop.
<-------He

The few times we had been to Sonic before, we paid with CC and also noticed no tip line. Last week was the first time we paid cash there.

I don't think "thank you" signals "keep the change". It is the duty of the car hop to ask "do you need any change" as any self respecting waiter/waitress would ask that for a cash paying customer. It covers their ass. I've never been to a place where thanking someone for something equates to an "unspoken" agreement of a tip. Maybe it has become Sonic custom or something.

I almost think Sonic should clarify their tipping etiquette somewhere for their newbie customers.

Old 10-04-2010, 09:38 PM

687 posts, read 1,579,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Bungle View Post
<-------He

The few times we had been to Sonic before, we paid with CC and also noticed no tip line. Last week was the first time we paid cash there.

I don't think "thank you" signals "keep the change". It is the duty of the car hop to ask "do you need any change" as any self respecting waiter/waitress would ask that for a cash paying customer. It covers their ass. I've never been to a place where thanking someone for something equates to an "unspoken" agreement of a tip. Maybe it has become Sonic custom or something.

I almost think Sonic should clarify their tipping etiquette somewhere for their newbie customers.
Actually, that's not good etiquette for servers at all. It's very irritating when you have a $10 check and put down a $20 and the server asks if you need change. Servers should just assume change is needed and bring it. At least that's how I was taught when I worked in that industry.

With that said, I agree that Sonic can be confusing when it comes to tips and I know I'm not alone there. I've never had a server not give me change, though, and I've been going to Sonic for years.

Old 10-04-2010, 10:57 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,954,536 times
It's very irritating when you have a $10 check and put down a $20 and the server asks if you need change. Servers should just assume change is needed and bring it.
so totally true--who in his/her right mind would think a $10 check deserved a 100% tip--

and we have had wait staff see us leave cash for a bill and then not return very promptly--hoping (in our minds) that we will get frustrated and leave w/o getting whatever change (if any) we planned on taking...
we NEVER do that--and probably other people in similar situations are not going to either--
in fact--in some situations like that inpast--my husband just takes up the cash and leaves a credit card--and BINGO--the wait person comes quickly...

Old 10-04-2010, 11:05 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,443,360 times
I have never heard of that happening. We do tip these guys, though. But they've never run away with our cash. Weird.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas