Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2010, 02:55 PM

27 posts, read 45,122 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

My family and I are more than likely moving to the Dallas area from Austin- but haven't decided WHERE yet. I'm really leaning towards McKinney- but while looking at houses, we found one we love in Rowlett. The thing is, I don't know how the Rowlett schools compare to the McKinney/Frisco schools.

What is the general "feel" of Rowlett? It looks nice, scenery wise.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2010, 03:04 PM

2,482 posts, read 6,532,564 times
I live in Rowlett and love it. Schools are part of GISD....a lot of people on here bash Rowlett because it's not hip like Frisco, Rockwall, Keller or anywhere else. I too was home searching years ago and stubbled upon a home in Rowlett---it was the last house we looked at that day and fell completely in love with it- but knew little about the area. So I had time on my hands so for a week I went everywhere in Rowlett, talked with lots of people and fell completely in love with the area as well.

We also looked in McKinney, and although McKinney and other places had other things to offer- we couldn't resist Rowlett. We love it here.

Where abouts is the home you fell in love with?

Old 11-02-2010, 03:10 PM

4,207 posts, read 15,257,217 times
Rowlett is a nice average size town on Lake Ray Hubbard. The city has grown to about 56K population and shares the Garland ISD school district. The Rowlett high school is very good and has achieved a recognized status a couple of years in a row.

The school district is very large with 69 schools. It's really not comparable to Frisco which has 40 and McKinney which has 30. The Garland ISD offers you a choice of school too, which means that you can attend any school within the district but there is a process to that too which is pretty simple too.

Currently there is construction of the extention of the George Bush Turnpike and goes through Rowlett so traffic in one section of the city is pretty bad during rush hours. The construction is supposed to be completed in about 14 months.

There are the usual chain stores, Walmart, Target, Aldi, Home Depot and more. There aren't that many restaurants yet but Rockwall or Firewheel mall are both nearby and between the 2 you can find lots of choices.

There is a Wet Zone waterpark that is very popular. The city is very active with sesonal festivals, farmers market. The DART train is also in the works to come to Rowlett.

Rowlett was also nominated this year by Forbes Magazine at one of the top 5 best smaller cities to live in.

Naima

Last edited by nsumner; 11-02-2010 at 03:11 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 11-02-2010, 04:38 PM

3,020 posts, read 8,615,724 times
I live in Rowlett, but our kids attended Rockwall schools as we are in Rockwall County (easternmost part of the city). As far as the city goes, we do like living here although I'm not that happy with the city management/council.

Old 11-03-2010, 09:56 AM

171 posts, read 545,933 times
I lived in Rowlett for 22 years.....I saw it double in size in a very short time period. I was not sad about leaving...it's nothing special compared to other cities/towns in the area. Rowlett HS is extremely overcrowded and has many discipline problems. I know some very frustrated teachers and parents.

Rowlett used to be nice when it was smaller but unfortunately it grew too fast and officials didn't keep up. Don't even get me started about the city officials...it's still a major "good ol boy" atmosphere. It's also been in financial straits for about 5 years and many employees have been laid off, which in turn has caused many amenities to go downhill unfortunately. It also has some of the highest school tax and water/refuse rates in the area.

There are some very pretty areas in Rowlett but if I was having to choose a place to live again, I wouldn't choose there.

And OBVIOUSLY this is my personal opinion. I'm sure there are people that love it there

Old 11-04-2010, 12:15 PM

3,820 posts, read 8,747,540 times
Very interesting about the last two comments. I was having an insurance audit and the lady was from Rowlett. She said they loved it when it was a smaller town but it's lost it's charm over the last several years. City government was the biggie she was commenting on.

Perhaps if you haven't been there for as long it's different.

Old 11-04-2010, 06:56 PM

207 posts, read 506,506 times
just moved here 4 months ago and we love it. it is so close to rockwall and firewheel which is awesome. it has easy access to I30, 635 and the turnpike. my daughter will be in kinder next year and we have heard nothing but good things about the schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas