Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2010, 07:21 AM

2,394 posts, read 8,597,112 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by portorro View Post
There has been progress..I am not complainting about that.

However, planners in Dallas and Dart have no vision. So you tell me by 2030, city dwellers need to go all the way downtown OR all the way up to Carollton to make an exchange between Green and Red lines?!!!!!!!!!! None sensical.

I am not an urban planner but I should be granted an honorary doctorate.
Saying where lines should go is easy. That's not how to get your doctorate. If you can find a way to pay for it - and then implement that plan - I will personally fight for your doctorate. Spending money is easy... getting the money to spend? That's the hard part.

Brian
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2010, 09:12 AM

554 posts, read 1,197,154 times
The new map should be posted to DART's Wikipedia page. The page needs a decent system map and I think this one would be perfect. Anyone know how to get this pic over there? I don't.

Old 11-08-2010, 04:04 PM

Can't wait - Lake Highlands station opens in less than a month. WHOOT! Now if only the Town Center had some buildings going up... hoping to hear something on that before the end of the year - especially now that the area is "wet". Crossing my fingers.

Brian

Old 11-08-2010, 05:04 PM

1,085 posts, read 1,790,656 times
Quote:
I cant understand why there are no connectors between the Green and Red lines..for example a rail line along 635 or an elevated one via NW Highway. A person needs to travel all the way to downtown to make an exchange.
The most perfect system would be one built around you, but since the world doesn't revolve around us the most logical routes are built to try and please everybody. A connection from the green to red line does make sense though but remember that the green line just now got built and hasn't even opened up yet for the most part.

Old 11-08-2010, 08:15 PM

2,531 posts, read 6,251,801 times
Is DART ever going to consider opening up a station at Knox-Henderson? I know there were provisions to create that station (it would be underground like CityPlace), but the neighborhood rejected it at the time. Now that K-H is "hot," it would be nice to have a station there. But I guess it will depend on the budget?

Old 11-08-2010, 08:31 PM

554 posts, read 1,197,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindin View Post
Is DART ever going to consider opening up a station at Knox-Henderson? I know there were provisions to create that station (it would be underground like CityPlace), but the neighborhood rejected it at the time. Now that K-H is "hot," it would be nice to have a station there. But I guess it will depend on the budget?
Unfortunately the short-sighted NIMBY folks who lived there at the time doomed the completion of Knox-Henderson Station not only for that time but for perhaps decades to come. The money is just not there these days. I would guess that the earliest the underground ghost station can be resurrected is sometime in the mid-20's. Most likely sometime in the 30's.

Old 11-09-2010, 12:34 PM

I know that Uptown has a PID (public improvement district) - I don't know the boundaries of it, but sure would be cool if the businesses could get together to approve a K-H PID that would fund the station being built. It would absolutely rock to walk from my front door, across Skillman to the Lake Highlands station and be able to take DART to get some Wild About Harry's, Taverna or Little Katana!!

Brian

Old 11-10-2010, 06:04 PM

424 posts, read 1,817,373 times
Woo hoo...can't wait until the DART opens in Carrollton I will save about 400.00 a month in gas no complaints here.

Old 11-11-2010, 10:41 AM

326 posts, read 962,397 times
Here's an article about the expansion:

DART's Green Line getting ready for December rollout
10:49 PM CST on Wednesday, November 10, 2010
By MICHAEL A. LINDENBERGER / The Dallas Morning News
mlindenberger@dallasnews.com
DART's Green Line getting ready for December rollout | News for Dallas, Texas | Dallas Morning News | Latest News

Taking the new DART train from Pleasant Grove in southern Dallas to Carrollton won't be fast, but it often will be surprisingly scenic.

The one-way trip will stretch 28 miles, making the DART Green Line the longest run of light rail under construction in North America, and will take about 74 minutes. A trip that starts in downtown Carrollton at 6:48 a.m., for instance, will get to the West End in downtown Dallas at 7:23.

Along the way, the trains, which with three cars will be DART's largest, will snake along leafy residential areas in southeastern Dallas, through the Trinity Forest and, north of Dallas, glide as fast as 65 mph on elevated tracks high above the terrain into park-like Farmers Branch.

These were first impressions delivered Wednesday, as Dallas Area Rapid Transit executives gave an early tour of the $1.8 billion rail line to a group of editors, photographers and writers from The Dallas Morning News.

The opening marks a big moment for DART, which has been collecting sales taxes from member cities since 1984, all with the goal of building out a system that serves as many riders as possible. The Green Line and ongoing work on the Orange and Blue lines represent a second generation of DART's light-rail project, following the opening of the Red Line in the 1990s.

"If you include the Orange Line that's under construction [to Irving ] and the Blue Line extension from Rowlett to Garland, then we have 25 percent of all light rail under construction in the United States under construction right here," said Gary Thomas, DART's executive director.

The public will get its first chance to ride the new rail line Dec. 4, when the trains will run for free after 1 p.m. Regular service on the full line begins Dec. 6.

The 20 stations along the line offer diverse views, are set down amid widely different surroundings, and likely will serve passengers with very different needs.

By far most riders will use the line to get to work and back, and on that score the Green Line could be one of DART's most successful, thanks to a handful of big employment centers, from the hospitals to the Dallas Market Center to Love Field.

At the latter stop, some riders will probably be disappointed by the lack of a direct connection. For now, those going to the airport will get off the train at Inwood/Love Field Station and take a 12- to 15-minute ride on a Route 39 bus to the airport.

Eventually, DART officials said, the city of Dallas plans to open a people mover that will take people directly to the terminal from Burbank Station, but that service could be years away.

Old 11-12-2010, 11:28 PM

446 posts, read 649,515 times
Quote:
I cant understand why there are no connectors between the Green and Red lines..for example a rail line along 635 or an elevated one via NW Highway. A person needs to travel all the way to downtown to make an exchange.
Well, actually, there are going to be plenty of connectors between the Red and Green Lines come December, and there are already plenty of connectors between the lines (and even TRE stations) right here, right now.

We know them as "buses".

Sure, taking a bus between Richardson and Carrollton ain't as glamorous as taking a train, but remember that the goal of DART is to get people from place to place, not be shiny.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas