Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2010, 08:57 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,903,112 times

Advertisements

My DH and I were eating at Chick Fila in Hurst tonight and overhead a teacher talking to a family--she was getting ready to leave and saw family she knew--went to talk to them

Apparently they have son who is in college and planning on getting teaching degree--he is supposed to do his student teaching in the spring--
the teacher who teaches kindergarten was not very encouraging--basically told them that it is almost impossible for teachers to get jobs if they don't have them...and his family seemed kind of surprised to hear he might have trouble getting a job...
the teacher herself had finished eating with HER student teacher before she came over to visit--she said her student teacher was doing a good job, very enthusiastic--but she did not know if there would be place open for her when she was looking for work after graduation...

the parents of the college kid were talking about couple of other people they knew who were about to graduate and did not really have solid job leads--
and the man was talking about how his church was struggling to get contributions from members...

did not know them from Adam--they were sitting catty-corner from us--and were just talking loudly...
but just got the impression that the recession is still going strong here in Tarrant county from listening to them...
of course this was ChickFila--not Reatta--so that says something...

but it did not make me feel that what is coming down the pipe with Republicans holding out for tax breaks for anyone earning more than 250K and for tightening up the budget for UEB and other incentives to help people struggling in this economy was going to make anyone feel confident there were better times ahead...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2010, 09:06 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,473,607 times
Well, I don't know if that's recession related or not as there hasn't been a demand for teachers around here for awhile. The "teacher shortage" is a myth. Or at least it seems to be....

Old 11-09-2010, 05:21 AM

1,190 posts, read 2,637,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarNorthDallas View Post
Well, I don't know if that's recession related or not as there hasn't been a demand for teachers around here for awhile. The "teacher shortage" is a myth. Or at least it seems to be....
Agree. My sister has 10+years teaching at a very accomplished high school in Houston. Moved to Austin and she didn't get a job until the week before school started. We thought she would have her pick of jobs.

Old 11-09-2010, 05:29 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,903,112 times
I know that teachers jobs have been difficult to find in this area--
but the parents who had that son in college apparently did not--
education departments would go out of business if they told their students the REAL odds of them getting jobs after finishing their degrees...
now that private colleges are getting so much heat/investigation for false claims to students about jobs available after graduation--maybe it is time to put pressure on the public/private colleges that are more liberal arts vs skill/trade based...

Old 11-09-2010, 07:09 AM

32 posts, read 122,198 times
I teach 7th grade in Dallas. When I applied to Tarrant county schools for teaching and school counselor positions, I did not start receiving phone calls until the weeks right before school started. With my education and experience, I thought the job search would be much easier than that, but I was wrong. By the time I started receiving calls from principals, my contract had already started with my current position so I had to stay with my school.

According to my principal, my school had 3 math teacher openings and over 100 applicants (DISD now does there hiring process through the Region 10 site). She told us that we should feel blessed to have our jobs. I'm assuming she threw that comment in there because there were many teachers debating on whether to leave the district for various reasons, but finding another teaching position truly is difficult today. She also told us we need to all be ESL certified sooner than later because that is the direction the state is moving in as far as teacher requirements.

I think there are some exceptions: Bilingual EC-4, Math, Science, or Foreign Language. It wouldn't hurt to have the ESL, Bilingual, or Special Education endorsement either. Anyone who is interested in going into the profession, this is the advice that I give them.

Hopefully the young man whose family you overheard will have some luck finding a position. I have even began to look out of state just to find a guidance counselor opportunity. Its tough finding any job in education: public, private, or higher. One has to seriously be ready to broaden their search.

Old 11-09-2010, 12:21 PM

1,063 posts, read 3,761,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deegee09 View Post
I teach 7th grade in Dallas. When I applied to Tarrant county schools for teaching and school counselor positions, I did not start receiving phone calls until the weeks right before school started. With my education and experience, I thought the job search would be much easier than that, but I was wrong. By the time I started receiving calls from principals, my contract had already started with my current position so I had to stay with my school.

According to my principal, my school had 3 math teacher openings and over 100 applicants (DISD now does there hiring process through the Region 10 site). She told us that we should feel blessed to have our jobs. I'm assuming she threw that comment in there because there were many teachers debating on whether to leave the district for various reasons, but finding another teaching position truly is difficult today. She also told us we need to all be ESL certified sooner than later because that is the direction the state is moving in as far as teacher requirements.

I think there are some exceptions: Bilingual EC-4, Math, Science, or Foreign Language. It wouldn't hurt to have the ESL, Bilingual, or Special Education endorsement either. Anyone who is interested in going into the profession, this is the advice that I give them.

Hopefully the young man whose family you overheard will have some luck finding a position. I have even began to look out of state just to find a guidance counselor opportunity. Its tough finding any job in education: public, private, or higher. One has to seriously be ready to broaden their search.
I'm sorry, but that is BS and shouldn't have to be a requirement.

Old 11-09-2010, 01:48 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,312,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtoal View Post
I'm sorry, but that is BS and shouldn't have to be a requirement.
Well, when the district is over 60% Hispanic and MOST of those kids don't have parents at home who speak English.....they come to Kindergarten NOT KNOWING ANY ENGLISH.

The kids need to learn English but that means the teachers need to know both in order to help the kids learn the best.

Old 11-09-2010, 01:51 PM

9,418 posts, read 13,505,720 times
Just for the record, ESL and Bilingual are two different things. I know teachers who are ESL certified who do not speak Spanish.

Old 11-09-2010, 01:57 PM

161 posts, read 305,493 times
Uh...our country is in a MAJOR recession. We moved to Texas in April and are amazed at good things feel here. Spend time outside of Texas and it feels more like a Depression.

Old 11-09-2010, 02:15 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,312,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
Just for the record, ESL and Bilingual are two different things. I know teachers who are ESL certified who do not speak Spanish.
Regardless, mandatory ESL certification is not a bad idea for a district whose 2010-2011 demographics include:

105,000 Hispanic Students (67.5% of district) and nearly 57,000 (36.6%) students who are limited English proficient.

In the lower grades, most students are limited English proficient (60% of Pre-K, 50% of K, 48-52% of grades 1-4). The good news is that by 5th grade, the percent of Limited English is about 33% and by middle & high school, it's under 15% of the class.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas