Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2010, 08:58 AM

14 posts, read 45,134 times

Advertisements

I plan to replace an old single oven in the home I just bought with double ovens and I need to replace a cooktop. I am considering Home Depot and Lowes to do the installation. Anyone had an experience with either of them installing ovens, cooktops, etc., and/or used someone else you could refer in the Frisco area to do it?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2010, 05:02 PM

11,853 posts, read 26,872,645 times
It really depends on what type of appliances you are looking for. HD has the very basics and also some high-end, and Lowe's seems to have basics and mid-grade. but if you want the really awesome high-end, look at Sears. This was a shock to me when I was appliance shopping!

Old 11-11-2010, 07:38 PM

1,063 posts, read 3,758,301 times
I have bought all my appliances at Sears and was always happy with their service/quality. I always got mine around holidays where they had 0% interest for a year, etc. and it made it very easy.

Old 11-12-2010, 07:04 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,862,293 times
there are blogs with horror stories about installation from Lowe's and HD--
I personally had Sears install a ceramic cooktop for me and it was not a Sears guy but someone they contracted to put it in--so Sears does not always do their own installations--

I think you would be better off buying the appliances and then hiring someone presonally recommended to install it
and if you are changing out a single wall over for a double oven you probably need an electrician to make that change as well because ovens are going to be pulling double the power that the single oven did--might need new breaker switch
this is not as simple as just swapping a refrigerator out...

Old 11-12-2010, 07:49 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,873,839 times
As said, you are not getting top quality at HD or Lowe's when it comes to appliances. They get the basics and a few fluff items. A lot of what they get in the appliance department is overruns from the manufacturers. These big box stores also contract w/ the big companies to make a lower quality so that they can offer a low price point. It has that good companies name on the item and it can appear to have the "fluff" but what is in it is not the best of what you can get and many times the price is not that great.

If you can find a good reputable local independent appliance dealer in your area that is usually the best route to go. Many times they will match prices and they actually KNOW the appliances. Going into HD, Lowe's and even Sears it is very possible the person on the sales floor has never even used one of the appliances you are talking to them about. How many 20 year old guys have a lot of experience doing laundry or cooking. Really? If you want to buy from a big name store then I'd say Sears. But I'd nix HD and Lowe's in a heartbeat. I'd go there for other things and do often. Appliances, NO!

Old 11-12-2010, 10:45 AM

14 posts, read 45,134 times
Thanks for the suggestions/opinions. I went to Home Depot yesterday during my lunch hour and couldn't get anyone to help me and I took that as a sign, so I won't be going with either HD or Lowes. I'll see what the independent applicance dealers can do for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas