Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2006, 01:18 PM

20 posts, read 66,257 times

Advertisements

I love older neighborhoods...they have great character. I found a website of homes for sale in Lakewood and also on M Street. I love the homes but I have no information on the neighborhoods. I have a 7 yr old son. Are these areas family oriented? Crime? Schools? How close are these neighborhoods to downtown Dallas?

Thanks for your time and have a wonderful day!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2006, 02:14 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,877,627 times
Cali,
Of those two I would go w/ Lakewood. They are very nice older neighborhoods w/ some charming older homes. Unfortunately some of them have seen the bulldozer and people have built homes that swallow up the entire lot and dwarf the neighboring homes (and just plain don't fit in). The M Streets have a neighborhood watchdog, if you read any of the DMN you will find his name, to help fightt the problem w/ the crowds on Greenville Ave at the bars and stuff. That is the draw back there.

The neighborhoods are pretty close to downtown Dallas. So much so that you won't even have to get on a freeway if you don't want to or have to.

Now, you have a child... not saying that ALL of the Dallas ISD schools are bad, but, you will probably be sending your child to private school if you live in these areas. I mean, Preston Hollow Elem. is a good school and the Bush girls even went there. But that is few and far between. I posted a website earlier that gives the demographics of public schools, try public schools report com. This will give you the student body population, demographics, etc. I saw you also posted about Houston, this may be something to think about when it comes to Houston. With the large influx of Hurricane Katrina refugees the Houston area schools have suffered some severe overcrowding from the reports I have read.

Old 08-17-2006, 02:52 PM

Thanks momof2DFW!! I have read many of your posts and they have been a great help for me. I read your most extensive post regarding the suburbs. It was very helpful. I personally am not into the "cookie cutter homes". Not that they are not nice because they are, but they all look the same and I prefer homes that have their own identity and are unique. They are building a ton of those track homes here in San Diego. My mom lives in one of these master planned communities, which includes HOA. She received a letter from the HOA stating she had to attend a meeting since the alley of her home did not have plants planted. (this area was 4x4 ft). She didn't even know that area had to have plants. Anyhow, my point is that I would hate to have someone telling me what I can and cannot do with my home.

If you could recommend any older neighborhoods that are family oriented and have great schools, please let me know.

Thanks again for your info! I was hoping you would respond!

Old 08-17-2006, 03:32 PM

I totally understand about the cookie cutter homes. I've lived in two and now this one that is custom. All 3 of our houses have been in an HOA neighborhood. They do have their ups and downs. I've heard plenty of horror stories. We had a neighbor once years ago that moved to McKinney to a HOA and they dictated exactly what plants (flowers and all) that were allowed to be planted. NO WAY!!! They were even banned from having swingsets. Most of the cities require neighborhoods/subdivisions to have a HOA. It does help in some ways but alot of the older ones are starting neighborhood associations (NA's) to help them organize for fighting crime, tear downs, and getting grants for neighborhood improvements. That is the one thing about it, having some kind of organization keeps everybody informed and can get some things accomplished. Were we live we actually are required to belong to two, one for the neighborhood and one for the area swim & rec club. While I could do w/o the swim & rec since we have our own pool it is nice that they have a nice clubhouse we can rent out (as in a small deposit for any damages that is refunded) for birthday parties and such. If you do happen to find a house you fall for that is in an HOA get a copy of all the codes, covenants & restrictions before you do anything. Most of the time this is not given out till closing but I would check on some things before I bought.

If you want in the suburbs for better public schools but want the big trees, family oriented, close to everything, etc, try Richardson. There are 3 areas that are pretty nice: Canyon Creek, Sherrill Park & SpringPark. They have walking trails, parks/greenbelts, lots of families, etc. There are several families in our church that live in the area around Aldridge Elem in Richardson. I have heard nothing but good things about the school. It is a pretty convienent area to get to just about anywhere in the Dallas area since it is close to Hwy 75 (Central Expwy) and Hwy 190 (George Bush Turnpike). Since this area is already built out and has been it does not suffer the growing pains of small streets that some of the farther out suburbs are. My neighbor has a grown child w/ a child at this school and they are looking for a house in that area. Seems when one comes on the market it is gone in no time. Guess that's a good thing. Look on West of Hwy 75, North of Campell, East of Coit and South of Hwy 190 (GBT). The area I live in is in the Firewheel area of Garland. Right by Hwy 190 (GBT) and about 5 minutes from Hwy 75. My youngest started at the elem school last year here in the neighborhood and I could not believe the number of stay at home moms and dads (or they work out of the house) that are there everyday. I called it a regular "Leave It To Beaver" area. There are two large tracts by here that are not going to be developed: Spring Creek Preserve & the Holford Farm (the later being private property but VERY LARGE). The golf course is also here and that has a lot of trees and a creek running thru the area. Breckenridge Park in Richardson is right up the road and there are miles of bike/walk paths there. I only have to go thru 2 stop signs to get there so we do load up the bikes and head up there often. If you don't mind a smaller yard but want the trees the area of Firewheel that is between Muirfield & Royal Birkdale with streets of Singing Hills, Torrey Pines & Sunningdale, there are some homes in there for sale I saw the other day and they all have lots of trees (all custom homes but in an HOA). There is also a street called Creekwood that has lots of trees and most of the homes back up to a creek (custom homes and no swim/rec club).

I know of someone that lives over in the Aldridge Elem neighborhood that came from Cali and she loves it. She was telling me the other day that she refuses to go back. LOL!!! The only thing she said she misses is the weather (and I have to agree).

Good luck.

Old 08-17-2006, 03:37 PM

Oh, forgot another area. Lake Highlands. This is in Dallas but most of it is in the Richardson ISD. This area is South of LBJ (635), West of Skillman, East of Greenville Ave and North of Walnut Hill Ln. There are rolling hills, if that is what you would like to call it, but they are covered w/ concrete or houses, .

Old 08-17-2006, 04:45 PM

5 posts, read 18,745 times
Default Why Dallas?

Is there a reason why you are wanting to move to large metropolitan area rather than in the out skirts of town, ie. Royse City, Caddo Mills, Etc., east of Dallas County. The schools are good and you can have acreage, horses and open spaces with wide open skies. If interested let me know I'll be glad to show you what's available.

Old 08-18-2006, 04:10 PM

Hi CBASELLS, my job is more than likely going to be located in downtown Dallas. I don't want a long commute to/from work. I am definately keeping my options open. I love lots of land but if it means more time on the road then I would rather not. How far out are the places you mentioned?

Old 08-21-2006, 12:30 PM

Cali,
The commute from the Rockwall/Royce City area can be good or bad. Thru Royce City and most of Rockwall I-30 is only 2 lanes each way. In Rockwall it opens up to 3 lanes each way. I-30 is the only option to commute to Downtown Dallas from this area, there is an HOV lane from Loop 12 to downtown but it is only open for rush hour in the direction it is needed. It is growing tremendously out there. New subdivisions popping up faster than the roads & schools can be built. If your job is going to be anywhere like Plano, Irving/Las Colinas, Richardson, etc, I would NOT move out there. Until 190 gets built from Hwy 78 in Garland to I-30 the traffic coming thru Rowlett is HORRIBLE!!!!! And if there is a wreck.... forget it. Rockwall is not a part of DART (Dallas Area Rapid Transit) so there are no plans for a rail station there nor are there any park & rides in Rockwall to help you get to downtown Dallas. From Royce City to downtown Dallas, I would allow a good hour minimium.

Old 08-21-2006, 12:56 PM

Thanks for the info. No...I definately do not want an hour commute.

Old 08-21-2006, 01:14 PM

I don't blame you. My husband works 7 miles from home. He also has an office out in Rockwall but he does not have to go there all the time. I have never liked long commutes. When I have to go take him lunch or we meet for lunch or I have to work at the office it's right here close to home and the kids schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas