Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2010, 04:43 AM

56 posts, read 121,817 times

Advertisements

I've been told Addison is good for young couples. Also what is uptown like? Is it well establish or full of bums? I asked because I found some real nice apartments at urbanleasing.com. Any advice will he awesome. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2010, 07:49 AM

8,560 posts, read 11,214,794 times
Uptown is equally good for couples, of any age. It is well established, being an original Dallas 'suburb', has been through its blight and is now being refurbished by apartments and townhomes as seen in your link.

If you seek an inner city lifestyle then you won't be disappointed with Uptown.

Old 11-17-2010, 08:05 AM

Awesome thanks. What about oaklawn?

Old 11-17-2010, 08:23 AM

1,193 posts, read 3,518,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QbAnYtO View Post
Awesome thanks. What about oaklawn?

Oak Lawn is adjacent to Uptown. Similar, but gayer.

Old 11-17-2010, 09:07 AM

8,560 posts, read 11,214,794 times
Agreed, Oak Lawn is similar to Uptown but is labeled the 'gay community'. The last several years it has become more the upwardly upscale community. Originally one of those 'suburbs', Oak Lawn is being rebuilt with townhomes. Where single family dwellings were built in the early 1900's, those homes are being torn down and replaced with up to four townhomes on the same lot. These new townhomes being upscale and can be pricey.

It just happens that Cedar Springs, the main drag (no pun intended) thru Oak Lawn is home to several gay bars, all big money makers. Street parking availability becomes rare on a weekend night.

Parallel to Cedar Springs is Lemmon Avenue, across which is what is called 'north Oak Lawn' and extends to the edge of Highland Park. Equally 'gay', the money just commands more respect. There are some fine old duplexes in this area and are highly sought for rental. It is a most outstanding area for walking dogs and making friends. Bamboo grows wild.

Be cautious of the Oak Lawn neighborhood south/southwest of Cedar Spring to I-35. While refurbishment is underway, this can be a less desirable area. Before economic slowdown, it was thought that Oak Lawn would be eventually be refurbished in its entirety, from Highland Park to Harry Hines Blvd (med center).

Again, if you seek an urban lifestyle, Oak Lawn like Uptown, will not disappoint.

Last edited by Willsson; 11-17-2010 at 09:15 AM..

Old 11-17-2010, 09:13 AM

419 posts, read 998,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QbAnYtO View Post
I've been told Addison is good for young couples. Also what is uptown like? Is it well establish or full of bums? I asked because I found some real nice apartments at urbanleasing.com. Any advice will he awesome. Thanks

Don't worry about bums at all in Uptown. You will have to "worry" about douche-bags with hair gel and ed hardy shirts.

There are a few bums in Downtown near the homeless center, called "The Bridge." Dallas has nothing like the Miami street life -- good or bad.

Old 11-17-2010, 11:59 AM

216 posts, read 444,457 times
Uptown is great. Everything has been built up in the last decade, so it's very clean. You won't run into a lot of bums. Lots of bars, pretty walkable for the most part.

Addison is a lot of fun, too, but you're not going to go anywhere without a car. It is full of young professionals and probably has the highest concentration of bars/restaurants in the entire metroplex. The only caveat is that most of those restaurants and bars are chains that aren't unique to Addison or even North Texas.

Old 11-17-2010, 01:50 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,162,235 times
Addison is pretty much one gigantic street, Belt Line, which you really wouldn't want to try to cross as a pedestrian. On either side are chain restaurants and bars as you would find in many suburbs across the country. It's just a little more dense and there's a new urbanist development and a pretty good theater just to the north. It's a sprawl-burb on steriods.

Most of Uptown, Oak Lawn/Cedar Springs, Knox-Henderson, East Dallas and Oak Cliff were originally 'streetcar suburbs' so they are a bit more dense than later 'burbs and walkable. They had all types of housing from mansions and estates down to duplexes, fourplexes, apartment buildings and hotels within a couple of miles of downtown. In the last 30 years or so much of Uptown (which some natives still think of as Oak Lawn) has gone highrise and mid-rise. Turtle Creek Boulevard was always park-like and had the first high-rise apartments and condos. That's probably why Uptown went so urban - plus it's adjacent to downtown and downtown is expanding north.

There are many, many original businesses, shops, pubs and mom-and-pop establishments. The restaurant and culinary scene thrives...

Old 11-17-2010, 05:21 PM

3,020 posts, read 8,615,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas native View Post
Oak Lawn is adjacent to Uptown. Similar, but gayer.
Yep, and most of it is older. Uptown is almost 100% new development; Oak Lawn maybe 40-50%.

Old 11-17-2010, 06:03 PM

Ah ok i seer. Sounds nice.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas