Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2008, 02:31 PM

1 posts, read 6,066 times

Advertisements

I'm a young single female living in the perfect loft in North Dallas(Addison/Carrollton). I love it, and I feel 100% safe, it's quiet and peaceful and is a great place to raise a family, but I'm bored with the area. Nobody comes to visit me, they say its to damn far to drive and they think Addison is boring and fake. All MY hot night spots are near downtown and Oaklawn. (I'm not gay but love the area!)All of my friends live Uptown/Deep Ellum/Oak Lawn, and I love the fact you can walk to cafes and theres always events, young singles, shopping, and it seems like an awesome place to live. I dont have a family to raise so I really don't see a need for me to stay in the Suburbs.(Addison, Carrollton Area)

My only thing is, since I'm here in the suburbs, I feel 100% safe, pretty much the only crime I have heard of is car-break ins and other minor things. Nothing serious like murders or home invasions, or drugs that tend to happen more with city living. I really want to move to the Uptown/Oaklawn etc but I'm just concered about my safety. One minute youre in a nice part then down the street youre in the ghetto. I'm I being paranoid? Should I move and take a chance or stay in the suburubs.

I'm 25 and confused.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2008, 02:43 PM

937 posts, read 2,907,542 times
I think as long as you are aware of your surroundings you should be fine. No need to be paranoid.

Old 04-13-2008, 04:25 PM

1,193 posts, read 3,518,476 times
Given your young age, I'm assuming that you'll be renting. You'll be fine in Uptown or Downtown. Thousands of people live in both areas. You don't say how much you want to spend per month, but if you move into a big apartment building in Downtown or Uptown you'll have onsite security around the clock plus many of the buildings have lots of amenities. If that's not in your budget, there are lots of apartment complexes in Oak Lawn. Parts of Oak Lawn are still a bit dicey though, so choose carefully. Take a chance!

Old 04-13-2008, 05:54 PM

38 posts, read 128,952 times
i definitely recommend uptown. i walked it on saturday night, and didnt feel unsafe at all. most areas are well lit, theres plenty of traffic, and there were police cars keeping order in the area.

Old 04-13-2008, 08:26 PM

1 posts, read 6,021 times
Smile A safe bet to know

hi there, I am the biggest chicken! We live in the Oaklawn area(and are not gay) We love it! It is close to everything! But I will say, I have live North, ( mckinney) and you really are not totally safe anywhere in the DFW area. You really need to be careful. I will say that where you are is not any safer than where we are, truly! Up north and Especially Mckinney Allen area is crawling with drug dealers everywhere! They have their own little South Dallas!! You just don't have to travel as far! Which is scary!! Up North is very dangerous, people just don't realize it! We have lived in this area for 10 years and there is such a huge influence of corp. people that refuse to let crime take over this little bubble in the oaklawn highland park area that you prob are safer up here! I don't know what your budget is but, if you buy something falling down around here you have made a great investment! The area is booming!

Good Luck, hope this helps!

Old 04-13-2008, 09:47 PM

2,649 posts, read 7,441,550 times
I moved from Oaklawn to Addison just over a year ago, and don't regret it at all. My friends and I love the Beltline Strip. I just got sick of all the trendiness of uptown/ oaklawn (I'm not gay). I love being close to the Galleria, and Valley View. I don't have to hunt for a grocery store, the Albertson's on Lemmon is pretty okay I guess. I never had my car burglarized, but one night a man either crazy, high, or both started running up and down my street, screaming at imaginary things. Finally I called the cops, other people must have too, and when they tried to arrest him, he ran, and all of a sudden there must have been 20 cops looking for him. Oh yeah there were also homeless people that took over our dumpster area for 2 days, you don't get that in Addison.

Old 06-02-2008, 03:01 PM

6 posts, read 22,920 times
Do what makes you happy, and sometimes that involves a slight risk! My friend is the most paranoid girl in the world, and she feels safer living alone in Uptown than most places in Dallas. I'm 25 too, and its sad to me to think someone my age is considering choosing AGAINST what she wants for a fear that is fairly unfounded.

Take the risk. If you're still fearful, get mace, live in a gated community, get a dog, etc. Whatever makes you feel safe.

And for the record, I'm 5 ft 1 and a dog walker who's been all over uptown at all hours of the night alone with little Fifi or whoever I'm walking that night. I've never been bothered by anyone, and just a tiny bottle of mace on my keys is peace of mind enough.

Old 06-02-2008, 03:32 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,166,264 times
Hey there area some pretty trashy areas around Addison and Carrollton. As someone said, no place is 100% safe. But why live your life way up there when there is so much to do here?

You will make more and more friends here and they will look out for you. It's even safer when you take taxis door-to-door and it only costs the price of a couple of drinks. If you haven't been around inside Dallas lately you will see many of the dicier apartment complexes have been torn down. Where are those people moving? Up your way from what I hear...

Last edited by Lakewooder; 06-02-2008 at 04:55 PM..

Old 06-02-2008, 03:49 PM

72 posts, read 257,773 times
Hi Ginger7,

We've lived in Uptown and in the burbs. I loved living in Uptown when I was single and we were first married. It was cool to be so close to all those little shops, Eatzi's, Breadwinners, the Piano Bar, (I was done with clubs by then), Turtle Creek, the Mansion, etc. Across the street from my condo was a big open field where I'd always walk my dog. One time, she was going nuts over this bush where she'd relieved herself and I couldn't figure out why. She's a boxer mix, so she's a good 55 lb. dog full of muscle and I could hardly pull her off of these bushes when out walks this man who'd been asleep back there with a bottle of something in a brown bag. Boy, was he mad! He started yelling at her in a drunken stuper and trying to throw liquor at her. That's about the worst thing that happened to me there. Oh yeah and our neighbors always teased us about being "breeders." They were funny. I would walk around at night, walk my dog up to the field over there by the Mansion and let her chase fireflies at night. I really wasn't worried about anything. I think you'd have fun. YMMV.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas