Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2010, 04:07 AM

56 posts, read 121,832 times

Advertisements

Just making preparations. Which would be better in terms of price? Cause I know haul charges fees and miles and Miami to Dallas is a long way.

But moving companies can be shady. So I don't know.

Im just taking two 50 inch hdtvs (flat). A king size bed with box spring. A few boxes and a drawer. Oh and my *****. And my dog too! Lmfao jk. But yea just those fee items.

I was thinking of renting a small uhaul and ...hauling ass over there (see what I did there?).

What u guys think?

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2010, 05:06 AM

1,190 posts, read 2,636,480 times
I don't think you could drive it straight through so I would think about where you can stop safely with a U-haul. Do you have a car? You would have to tow that unless you have 2 drivers. Just some things to consider.

Old 11-19-2010, 07:21 AM

986 posts, read 1,666,665 times
The price will be about the same...but...

There is the peace of mind knowing where your stuff is if you move it yourself. Not to mention the many horror stories that I've heard about moving companies - giving you one price, then holding stuff hostage until you pay them more money over the quoted price; items missing/broken; super late deliveries, etc.

The downside - it is NOT a fun drive. I just moved to Dallas from Atlanta and drove the U-haul with my car hitched to the back. Not a fun drive at all. I stopped in Mississippi on the way and rested overnight. I would definitely recommend one (or two - since you're moving from Miami) stops on the way. Bring someone alone if you can as well. Hopefully you don't have children coming along?

Old 11-19-2010, 07:41 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,690,784 times
Default Set yourself free......

Sell everything and buy a combination of new and used stuff (Craigslist) when you get here. OMG for the cost and hassle of moving it, for that small amount of things just get rid of it all.

Keep the dog, tho.

Old 11-19-2010, 07:54 AM

2,017 posts, read 3,523,881 times
Are those 50" TVs plasma? When we had a moving company move us they had to have a freight company build a special wood crate for the 50" plasma. Plasma TVs have to be transported upright or the glass will break. I think it was probably around $400 to have the TV boxed and then unboxed at the destination. I still had the original box the TV came in but they wouldn't accept it for transport. So you might be better off moving it yourself, especially if you still have the boxes.

Old 11-19-2010, 08:27 AM

164 posts, read 590,403 times
You can go to U-Haul's site and get a rough estimate of what it would cost for a small truck or a trailer.
Put the TVs back in their boxes, if you still have them.
My son moved to Alaska with his 46" flat screen and stuff. He sold all his furniture on Craigslist. He padded the TV with blankets & pillows and packed the rest of his belongings in the back of a mini-van, everything arrived safe.

Old 11-20-2010, 12:24 AM

Well instead of selling my furniture I'm just giving it to my sister and mother. They need it. Not my babies tho (tvs). I'll just cushion them up like I always do ( I moved about 14 times in the last 3 years...that's Miami for ya) I think I will be fine. I will probably have to make a stop tho at a hotel. My wife will be following in her car. Or maybe I Gould just take my uncles big ass truck. Save me money.

Old 11-20-2010, 12:26 AM

And oh yea I ruled out companies the moment I created this thread lol. I thought about the possibilities of the company losing my ****. My granny in law just moved to Tennessee and it was late and things were broken and missing. Dios mio

Old 11-20-2010, 12:53 AM

81 posts, read 175,279 times
I am moving to Plano in 3 weeks, and decided to just sell my stuff and buy new furniture over the next few months. By the time I shell out the money for a U-haul or moving company, I could have bought half of the new pieces that I would need. Not to mention the fact that things may break. I understand if you have antiques or something, but otherwise, it may be a hassle. U-haul is more expensive than it needs to be. When I was researching, I found ABF U-pack. It was cheaper than a u-haul, so you might look into it. Someone also told me that Greyhound can ship boxes at a reasonable price. It may be greyhound freight. Good luck on your move.

Old 11-20-2010, 08:35 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,478,444 times
QB, when I was moving from BOS to DFW I did in depth research on the subject. Something that stood out like a sore thumb was the amount of horror stories coming out of Florida about shady moving companies. IF you do that, be very careful and google reviews (BBB, etc).

Another option is PODS. Google that - that's what I did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: