Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2010, 04:55 PM

3 posts, read 4,224 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone -- please offer suggestions -- I have been Self-Employed all my life and with New York's bad economic situation -- has reduced my gross income by 97% and I no longer can afford to sit around and lose what little I have left. My mom is probably the biggest cheerleader for us to move to Texas. She is near Dallas in Carrolton (which she thinks is country) - however, I can not live in a city - never have. We like country living (well water and farmhouse feel) and well maybe a big enough place, so she may move in with us. I feel like I am out-of-my-mind for considering a move (we both need jobs and we need to find a home within proximity of work) but I really do like Texas and all the positive things I hear about Texas. The job would be the most important thing -- really have no idea where to start. My husband has his Class B HAZMAT and well I have worn many hats being self-employed. I can run any type of business effortlessly. Any ideas!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2010, 05:42 PM

3,072 posts, read 8,417,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leaveny View Post
Hi Everyone -- please offer suggestions -- I have been Self-Employed all my life and with New York's bad economic situation -- has reduced my gross income by 97% and I no longer can afford to sit around and lose what little I have left. My mom is probably the biggest cheerleader for us to move to Texas. She is near Dallas in Carrolton (which she thinks is country) - however, I can not live in a city - never have. We like country living (well water and farmhouse feel) and well maybe a big enough place, so she may move in with us. I feel like I am out-of-my-mind for considering a move (we both need jobs and we need to find a home within proximity of work) but I really do like Texas and all the positive things I hear about Texas. The job would be the most important thing -- really have no idea where to start. My husband has his Class B HAZMAT and well I have worn many hats being self-employed. I can run any type of business effortlessly. Any ideas!
Others will join in and provide other options but as for your Husband if he is interested in obtaining his Class A there are several options. He can become a Pumpkin Driver (Schneider) as they have their training facility here. Stevens Transport also trains here. He can go to a very good Class A training facility about four hours away just over the Oklahoma border. It is very reasonable priced and nationally recognized.

If he chooses to pay for his own training that training facility has many different companies in to recruit for drivers including TransAm Trucking which has a terminal here as well. Once he puts a year OTR he has more opportunity to move to other companies with terminals here or even local runs for dry van or tankers. As a matter of fact he can even do the Pumpkin Driver thing as they do train new people for tanker work. There are other companies he can try for such as Pepsi, Coke, etc., that have large distribution warehouses here and do occasionally take on new drivers and train them on their smaller vehicles.

The problem with other driving jobs here for a Class B are the more desirable and worthwhile ones generally are hired from former OTR drivers who want to settle down. As for driving for the city or local trash haulers that pays little and is difficult to enter at this time.

As for your employment situation others would have to chime in. There are many possibilities including working for some of the trucking companies with terminals and operations around here.

If you want to live in the country, and your Husband wants to go the Class A route then many of the OTR companies are located around Lancaster, Rockwall, and other areas South and East of Dallas. Living in that area would put him close to terminals where he can easily leave his rig on break times and you would still have access to Dallas and many areas with opportunities South of Dallas.

Where in NY are you coming from? Did your Husband drive for a company or was he hotshotting Hazmat loads with his own rig?

Old 12-15-2010, 07:30 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,882,290 times
If you are seriously moving here and your hubby has a Class B w/ Hazmat and a clean record......... PM ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You don't know how hard it is to find good reliable drivers w/ all of the qualifications that can pass a drug test, don't have warrants, a clean driving record, etc. Oh, and that actually want to work to get their paycheck..... Imagine

Old 12-15-2010, 08:13 AM

3,072 posts, read 8,417,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
If you are seriously moving here and your hubby has a Class B w/ Hazmat and a clean record......... PM ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You don't know how hard it is to find good reliable drivers w/ all of the qualifications that can pass a drug test, don't have warrants, a clean driving record, etc. Oh, and that actually want to work to get their paycheck..... Imagine
If you don't mind sharing the information please PM me with it. I know good drivers with Class A's, Hazmat, Doubles and Triples endorsements who would accept a Class B job. They are hard working people and have not been able to locate good positions that pay a decent wage. No, they are not looking to get rich either. The only thing they have been able to find are recruiters who promise the world (even now) and deliver nothing.

Old 12-15-2010, 08:34 AM

Hi - thanks for getting back to me - we live in the "Southern Tier" or Finger Lakes area -- my husband works for a dairy company that delivers milk to retail stores - he works over 80 hrs + a week - has squeaky clean driving record - does not do drugs - and loves his job - OTR is really out-of-the-question - my mom's husband does OTR and he is only home maybe 4 days a month - really sucked for my mom going through Stage 4 cancer - and her husband does not make enough to get by on - my husband's gross paycheck is 900-1000 a week He got his HAZMAT when delivering heating fuel As far as I go - I can do anything -- Accounting/Secretarial - Management for retail / restaurant I have worn several hats and can do anything within any business because I was self-employed and had to learn how to do it all

Old 12-15-2010, 08:49 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,690,784 times
From the above posts it seems hubby won't have trouble landing work here in the DFW area. Sorry about your mom's cancer.....more reason to live near her. The Texas Workforce Commission's website is a good reference tool for jobs. Welcome to the Texas Workforce Commission

There's tons of good housing options here. You will find something, no problem.

Old 12-15-2010, 08:49 AM

Hi again -- maybe I can get some suggestions about my mom -- she is the hardest, strongest worker I have ever known - she worked for the tollway until last Friday, when the tollway went to full automation - my mom worked for them 11+ years and even when she was battling Stage 4 Cancer she still showed up for work everyday - she is in remission and has been for a couple of years -- just got off the phone with her and she is devastated - she loved her job, it was her "security blanket" going through the cancer - she has worked pretty much everyday of her life and she is lost without her job - she doesn't even no where to start - she needs a job - any help would be greatly appreciated - I know she is falling apart and that is why I feel that I should be there with her - I really am relying on this forum to help formulate a plan before making the move
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas