Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2011, 09:20 PM

659 posts, read 1,376,922 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TowerGuy View Post
OH YEAH?!!!

Well, MY CITY CAN BEAT UP YOUR CITY!

Seriously, this "mine is bigger than yours" contest has gone on for 12 DAYS!
It is just another lame and tiresome thread of Dallas vs Houston. Who cares?
Exactly, we all know Duck Fallas!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2011, 09:57 AM

912 posts, read 1,888,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by feufoma View Post
Exactly, we all know Duck Fallas!
No, I haven't been arguing that Dallas is bigger than Houston. I'm arguing about "perception." The height of the buildings in the Dallas-Fort Worth area will always be hindered by the close-in proximity of its better located airports. Love Field airport is closer to downtown Dallas than Uptown Houston is to downtown Houston.
http://www.maplandia.com/united-stat...field-airport/
In comparison, Hobby airport, the similar airport to Love Field in Houston, is completely outside Loop 610.
Likewise, the buildings in the Addison area will always be hindered by the location of the Addison commuter airport sitting right in the heart of that particular urban community.
Las Colinas has DFW and Love Field in intimate proximity hindering the heights of its buildings.
The height of buildings in downtown Fort Worth are hindered by the near-by military base and Meacham Field.
I also pointed out that real estate development today tends to be more focused on multi-use transit oriented developments or TODs. As Houston doesn't have much of a mass transit yet, then its developments will tend to be of the old kind.
Here are my points again:
1) The Dallas-Fort Worth area is the larger market of the two metropolitan areas which is why it has a corridor of commercial shopping districts and Houston doesn't.
I coined this particular 23 mile long corridor the "Super Corridor." It runs from downtown Dallas to the south to 121 in southern Frisco to the north while its boundaries are Dallas Parkway (Platinum Business Corridor) to the west and Preston Road (Golden Retail Corridor) to the east.
2) The Dallas-Fort Worth area has been making the better decisions of the two metropolitan areas which is why it has a corridor of transit oriented developments and Houston doesn't.
I coined this particular 20 mile long corridor the "Grand Corridor." It also runs from downtown Dallas to the south and to Parker Road in Plano to the north while its boundaries are Central Expressay to the west and the Red Line of the DART light rail system to the east.
3) Finally, the airports in the Dallas-Fort Worth area are better located than they are in Houston which is why Dallas has a corridor of employment centers and Houston doesn't. These five employment centers are, in order, downtown Dallas (130,000), Uptown Dallas (25,000), the Stemmons Corridor (130,000), the greater Las Colinas area (over 100,000), and DFW airport (60,000).
As one travels the route from the northern exit from DFW airport through Las Colinas, through the Stemmons Corridor, through Uptown, and through downtown Dallas, one can definately sense the nearly half a million people working along what I coined the Mega Corridor.
Indeed, once again, Houston does have the taller buildings in its three business districts. But, when all things are put into perspective, the three mega corridors in the Dallas area are the reasons the Dallas-Fort Worth area smokes every other southern metropolitan area.

Last edited by Mister Nifty; 01-04-2011 at 10:56 AM.. Reason: tweak

Old 01-04-2011, 11:35 AM

659 posts, read 1,376,922 times
[quote=Mister Nifty;17253417]No, I haven't been arguing that Dallas is bigger than Houston. I'm arguing about "perception." [quote]

Great! But, Duck Fallas anyway. Houston feels larger to me. Just my perception...

Old 01-04-2011, 02:58 PM

719 posts, read 1,333,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Nifty View Post
No, I haven't been arguing that Dallas is bigger than Houston. I'm arguing about "perception." The height of the buildings in the Dallas-Fort Worth area will always be hindered by the close-in proximity of its better located airports. Love Field airport is closer to downtown Dallas than Uptown Houston is to downtown Houston.
Dallas Love Field Airport Map | United States Airports
In comparison, Hobby airport, the similar airport to Love Field in Houston, is completely outside Loop 610.
Likewise, the buildings in the Addison area will always be hindered by the location of the Addison commuter airport sitting right in the heart of that particular urban community.
Las Colinas has DFW and Love Field in intimate proximity hindering the heights of its buildings.
The height of buildings in downtown Fort Worth are hindered by the near-by military base and Meacham Field.
I also pointed out that real estate development today tends to be more focused on multi-use transit oriented developments or TODs. As Houston doesn't have much of a mass transit yet, then its developments will tend to be of the old kind.
Here are my points again:
1) The Dallas-Fort Worth area is the larger market of the two metropolitan areas which is why it has a corridor of commercial shopping districts and Houston doesn't.
I coined this particular 23 mile long corridor the "Super Corridor." It runs from downtown Dallas to the south to 121 in southern Frisco to the north while its boundaries are Dallas Parkway (Platinum Business Corridor) to the west and Preston Road (Golden Retail Corridor) to the east.
2) The Dallas-Fort Worth area has been making the better decisions of the two metropolitan areas which is why it has a corridor of transit oriented developments and Houston doesn't.
I coined this particular 20 mile long corridor the "Grand Corridor." It also runs from downtown Dallas to the south and to Parker Road in Plano to the north while its boundaries are Central Expressay to the west and the Red Line of the DART light rail system to the east.
3) Finally, the airports in the Dallas-Fort Worth area are better located than they are in Houston which is why Dallas has a corridor of employment centers and Houston doesn't. These five employment centers are, in order, downtown Dallas (130,000), Uptown Dallas (25,000), the Stemmons Corridor (130,000), the greater Las Colinas area (over 100,000), and DFW airport (60,000).
As one travels the route from the northern exit from DFW airport through Las Colinas, through the Stemmons Corridor, through Uptown, and through downtown Dallas, one can definately sense the nearly half a million people working along what I coined the Mega Corridor.
Indeed, once again, Houston does have the taller buildings in its three business districts. But, when all things are put into perspective, the three mega corridors in the Dallas area are the reasons the Dallas-Fort Worth area smokes every other southern metropolitan area.

Hmmm...I don't know about that. Atlanta has already coined the name Empire of the South...Dallas is nice, but not the empire.....Sorry Dallas

Old 01-04-2011, 03:06 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,751,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolieandre View Post
Hmmm...I don't know about that. Atlanta has already coined the name Empire of the South...Dallas is nice, but not the empire.....Sorry Dallas
I agree. If there is a capital of the South, it is Atlanta. I dont even consider Dallas part of the south, just that it has some Southern characteristics. Dallas is too many things.

Old 01-04-2011, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
I agree. If there is a capital of the South, it is Atlanta. I dont even consider Dallas part of the south, just that it has some Southern characteristics. Dallas is too many things.
Whatever Chicago is to the northern part of the United States, that is what Dallas-Fort Worth is to the southern part of it.

Old 01-04-2011, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolieandre View Post
Once again, when the areas are put into perspective, Dallas smokes Atlanta.

Old 01-04-2011, 11:35 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,998,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm4 View Post
Whatever. Added to downtown Dallas it dwarfs Houston's. Tell me what's headquartered in downtown Houston. Besides Enron.

Anyone looking at it who can interpret visual data abstractly can deal with it. Glad you're one of them.

As of July 2009: an estimated difference of upwards of 580K (580,126). (Growth between 2007 and 2008: Dallas-Fort Worth (147,000), Houston (130,000).)

Hey, as long as no one brings up city population per se. Or urban centers.

This deserves its own post response. I may get to it later.
LOL

Funniest statement I've heard so far this year!

1. Downtown Houston alone has more skyscrapers than Downtown Dallas & Downtown Fort Worth combined.

2. Enron is no longer a company & hasn't existed in almost a decade. I thought everybody knew that by now? Its only been all over the news, had countless books written about the collapse of Enron, & even a Hollywood movie made about it.

All because of one mans greed. It was a terrible turn of events, but most Houstonians have put that far behind them by now.

Last edited by Metro Matt; 01-04-2011 at 11:50 PM..

Old 01-04-2011, 11:49 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,998,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm4 View Post
That's it? You found a hospital you're calling a "medical center" outside of the Texas Medical [one stop shopping] Center? And failed to mention that that hospital only occupies the bottom 10 floors of that tower with the crown in the top right of the photo in the distance, the rest being office space above it? So basically we're looking at office space there in the distance.
Actually its 15 floors of outpatient care & 20 of office space.

35-story medical tower going up at Memorial City - Houstonist

Where did you get 10 from?

Old 01-05-2011, 07:47 AM
mm4

5,711 posts, read 3,979,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Actually its 15 floors of outpatient care & 20 of office space.
My mistake, 15 floors. I thought it was in-patient?

Last edited by mm4; 01-05-2011 at 07:58 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas