Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2010, 09:47 AM

912 posts, read 1,887,718 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Don't enough ignorant people from OUTSIDE of Texas hate on us without us having to squabble amongst ourselves?

Of course I prefer Dallas over Houston, but I know plenty of people who really like living in Houston. And I know people who like living in Baltimore (??!!!! wtf?)...different strokes for different folks.
Indeed, that is true. I'm just comparing and contrasting. You see, a big no-no in writing is to qualify your work as only your opinion. Besides, what I am posting in here is not just my opinion, but is based on sound fact.
As the city of Dallas is where real estate developers do a lot of experimentation, it just has more going for it than Houston does. In Dallas, one has a business development in downtown Dallas, a residential development in Uptown, a medical development in the Southwestern Medical Center, a warehouse development between the cities of Garland and Dallas (amongst many such developments), two entertainment developments in both Arlington and Grand Prairie, a marketing development in The Dallas Market Center, and an industrial development (telecommunications companies) in the Telecom Corridor.
Of course, there are ample examples of transit oriented developments and now there are two port developments, with the Alliance development in north Fort Worth being built around an Airport and a development in Southern Dallas County being built around a container port.
Like downtown Dallas, downtown Fort Worth and (downtown) Las Colinas are also business districts as any kind of company might decide to relocate there although it is beginning to look like the Telecom Corridor will transition into more of a business district in the future.
Not quite a district or a corridor, the stetch created by the platinum business corridor and the golden retail corridor of Preston road running parallel to each other for twenty-three miles is unique to Dallas. As I've mentioned often in this forum, along this impressive byway is one shopping center, the second shopping center to ever be built in the United States, and five commercial shopping districts, with these being Preston Center, Northpark / Eastpark, the Dallas Galleria, the Shops at Briar Creek, and Stonebriar Centre respectively.
Also, because it hasn't an airport in close proximity to it like Love Field is to downtown Dallas, downtown Houston has nothing intimate and close-in like Lemmon Avenue.
You know, there is a long held opinion in Texas that the women in Dallas are amongst the most beautiful in the world. The cognitive scientists up in Harvard University all claim that this is a myth, but such nerds know nothing about beauty. Indeed, as I'm always surprised to find out, the women in Dallas are the most stunning in the world (of Texas).

Last edited by Mister Nifty; 12-22-2010 at 10:04 AM.. Reason: tweak
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2010, 09:56 AM

229 posts, read 606,978 times
Mister Nifty makes great points. I think most of the people here don't understand them because they live in Frisco, Wylie, and other suburbs, NOT the city itself.

Old 12-22-2010, 03:25 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,954,148 times
He makes SOME good points, but his knowledge of Houston and what's going on in the city is horrible. Any time he wants to talk up DFW, he can't do it without spreading misinformation about Houston to bring it down. Shows just how obsessed he is with Houston. He has already been proven wrong on a lot of his points by people who actually work in the indistries he tries having a lot of knowledge in (like retail).

Old 12-22-2010, 04:19 PM

2,930 posts, read 5,271,469 times
I can't believe there's people actually pumping up his posts. He may have some good knowledge about Dallas but i'm with Face, he knows very little about what's going on in Houston.

Old 12-22-2010, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface713 View Post
He makes SOME good points, but his knowledge of Houston and what's going on in the city is horrible. Any time he wants to talk up DFW, he can't do it without spreading misinformation about Houston to bring it down. Shows just how obsessed he is with Houston. He has already been proven wrong on a lot of his points by people who actually work in the indistries he tries having a lot of knowledge in (like retail).
Retail? Okay, I was surprised to find that Houston has two thirds the retail as the Dallas - Fort Worth area. Why? Well, first off, Dallas - Fort Worth is just a little bigger. Second, Dallas - Fort Worth is just substantially so the larger market of the two.
In fact, don't be surprised if the margin of the amount of retail between the two actually increases in the future.
This is why the city of Dallas has the anomaly that is Lemmon Avenue and the phenomenon of a string of commercial shopping districts streaching along the golden corridor of Preston Road and along Dallas Parkway to the west of it and along Central Expressay to the east. In comparison, Houston has very little.
It does have the Galleria in Uptown Hastoon and all that commercial in and around the Memorial Mall area.
Please, name some other areas that compare?

Last edited by Mister Nifty; 12-22-2010 at 06:35 PM.. Reason: tweak

Old 12-22-2010, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneclaw View Post
I can't believe there's people actually pumping up his posts. He may have some good knowledge about Dallas but i'm with Face, he knows very little about what's going on in Houston.
Again, Houston is mostly a one trick pony with its energy businesses just like Detroit use to be with its automobile industry. The Texas Medical Center comes in at a distant second place. Meanwhile, NASA is fading away.

Old 12-22-2010, 06:41 PM

6,695 posts, read 9,946,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Nifty View Post
Retail? Okay, I was surprised to find that Houston has two thirds the retail as the Dallas - Fort Worth area. Why? Well, first off, Dallas - Fort Worth is just a little bigger. Second, Dallas - Fort Worth is just substantially so the larger market of the two.
In fact, don't be surprised if the margin of the amount of retail between the two actually increases in the future.
This is why the city of Dallas has the anomaly that is Lemmon Avenue and the phenomenon of a string of commercial shopping districts streaching along the golden corridor of Preston Road and along Dallas Parkway to the west of it and along Central Expressay to the east. In comparison, Houston has very little.
It does have the Galleria in Uptown Hastoon and all that commercial in and around the Memorial Mall area.
Please, name some other areas that compare?
Are y'all talking about malls?

Old 12-22-2010, 07:00 PM

1,365 posts, read 2,608,665 times
I like toidles.

Old 12-22-2010, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
Are y'all talking about malls?
No. A mall thing is a step down from a commercial shopping district. A commercial shopping district has office space for lead-in but the shopping takes precedence. Northpark for example. There is a substantial difference between Preston Center and Towneast Mall.

Old 12-22-2010, 08:10 PM

2,930 posts, read 5,271,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Nifty View Post
Again, Houston is mostly a one trick pony with its energy businesses just like Detroit use to be with its automobile industry. The Texas Medical Center comes in at a distant second place. Meanwhile, NASA is fading away.

you're just meddling now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas