Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2011, 01:50 PM
mm4

5,711 posts, read 3,979,590 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface713 View Post
They are still doing site work and studies.
I hope you're not meaning AEC "site work" in Spring. The only "site work" we're aware of is year-long internal study of various business site consolidations on a national scale.

Last edited by mm4; 01-08-2011 at 02:09 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2011, 01:55 PM
mm4

Quote:
[quote: How was this article a bad example? It contains insight into how Exxon made their site
selection back in 1989. They may be following some of the same guidelines.]

Like I said, Exxon's HQ has never been in Houston. Bad example.
That's a straw man response to Scout. The point isn't that Exxon's hq was never in Houston. The Chron article distinctly describes one particular decision making process about where it sites locations. Not where the business units arrived from.

It's a good article; it even lays waste to your prior argument its hq was sited in D/FW because of more flights than Intercontinental.

Last edited by mm4; 01-08-2011 at 02:22 PM..

Old 01-08-2011, 02:07 PM

912 posts, read 1,888,108 times
Quote:
I've stopped reading them. Too hard to read and they make no sense.
Here is how the debate has gone so far, beloved forum members.

First I establish that the Dallas area has three significant corridors while Houston has nothing to compare with them outside of its cluster of three impressive business districts.
Substantiating my argument, Scarface claims that Houston does indeed have an impressive corridor between Westheimer and I-10 to compare.
In response, I show his claim isn't reasonable.

Okay, let's see where we are so far. To use as an example, I've established that the Dallas area has three chickens.
In response, Scarface claimed that Houston does indeed have a chicken.
I show his claim to be unreasonable by arguing that Houston doesn't even have a duck.

In response, Scarface claims that the corridors in Dallas are insignificant.
In response to this, I not only show how incredibly significant they are, but show how much more incredibly significant they will become in the future.

In response to this, Scarface now claims that I am irrational, delusional, and out of touch with reality.

In the meantime, I'm eating fried chicken while this fellow doesn't even have a duck to fry up.

Old 01-08-2011, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm4 View Post
I'm sure petrochemical knowledge workers would enjoy the idea of commuting 20 miles every day into the woods from inner Houston by METRO bus. And 20 miles back. Seems like a step up.
Indeed, if the inner core of Houston is so wonderful, then why is Exxon planning on moving its petrochemical knowledge workers not only past the outer core of 610, but past the outer, outer core of beltway 8, and past the outer, outer, outer, core of the 1960 area, all the way out to the outer, outer, outer, outer core area of Spring, Texas?

I mean, isn't that like twenty miles from that wonderful inner core?

Could it be that Exxon is pissed at what happened to its Greenspoint development? Might it also be apprehensive about the inner core of Houston likewise melting down and becoming the ghetto to end all ghettos?

Stay tuned!

Last edited by Mister Nifty; 01-08-2011 at 02:33 PM..

Old 01-08-2011, 02:24 PM
mm4

If nothing else the location appears inconvenient to get to every day.

Old 01-08-2011, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm4 View Post
If nothing else the location appears inconvenient to get to every day.
In revenge for what happened to its Greenspoint development, I can see Exxon leading the city of Houston on. I can see them teasing the city until at the last second when, to drive a dagger deep into its heart, it will choose instead to relocate the whole company to Las Colinas.
But, then again, to remain slippery, ironical, unexpected and paradoxical, the major corporation could also decide to relocate its world headquarters from Las Colinas to Houston!

Old 01-08-2011, 03:13 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,958,071 times
Corporate campuses are what's in nowadays. Exxon's current operations in Fairfax is at a campus. Exxon has a corporate campus in west Houston, too (chemical complex). Most workers will move to The Woodlands area or that Springwoods development. Thought that was obvious. The workers Downtown won't be moving either. Only the West Houston campus, Greenspoint, Fairfax, and other offices around Houston.

Old 01-08-2011, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Corporate campuses are what's in nowadays. Exxon's current operations in Fairfax is at a campus. Exxon has a corporate campus in west Houston, too (chemical complex). Most workers will move to The Woodlands area or that Springwoods development. Thought that was obvious. The workers Downtown won't be moving either. Only the West Houston campus, Greenspoint, Fairfax, and other offices around Houston.
Indeed, the Pentagon is still around today as a campus in the Washington D.C. area when compared to what the World Trade Center as skyscrapers used to be in New York City. That is one good reason to prefer a campus. As Exxon is the largest company in the world, a low skyline profile won't hurt when the price of fuel reaches $10.00 a gallon.

Old 01-08-2011, 04:05 PM

3,197 posts, read 5,377,042 times
Quote:
Wow, Scout_972, I thought you were better than this. Can you not see the difference? You posted an article about Exxon saying their HQ in Irving will stay. I've even said that in this very thread. Now where in your article does it say anything about the Mobil HQ? That came from numerous Business Journal articles (from Houston to DC) and the Houston Chronicle, as well as Washington Post. You honestly think that Springwoods Village development just came out of nowhere? Seriously? Do you not know who owns that plot of land in the first place? Of course Exxon has not made a confirmation about their Mobil HQ moving to Spring. Why would they? They are still doing site work and studies.

But, do tell me why employees living in VA have made threads in the Houston section about moving their due to the relocation. Some articles for you:

Sounds like they jumped the gun. I remember seeing a few threads when the site study was first announced buthaven't seen any posts recently. They likely were just reacting to the same

Exxon studying whether to consolidate offices, could close Fairfax operation

Exxon Mobil Campus "Clearly Happening" > Houston Commercial Real Estate by Garan Commercial Properties > Commercial Real Estate News and Articles

"Spying" on Exxon's plans | Washington Business Journal

Exxon Mobil is considering a move | Energy | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle

Like I said, Exxon's HQ has never been in Houston. Bad example.

I've stopped reading them. Too hard to read and they make no sense.
Either you're not reading the information on the links you're posting or are only focussing on what you desire to see. Either way, you come across as more intelligent than what you're displaying.

This is what ExxonMobil's spokesman Alan Jeffers said less than 4 months ago to a Washington Post reporter; from an article YOU posted a link to:

"The company is conducting an analysis of its real estate holdings, which includes the fate of the Fairfax complex, said company spokesman Alan Jeffers.
"Some of the options we're looking at -- it ranges from maintaining our current footprint, or the other end of the scale, consolidating some of the offices," Jeffers said.
The analysis is scheduled to wrap up next year. "The bottom line is that no decisions will be made until the study is completed," he added."

Anything beyond what Jeffers stated; like the "Clearly Happening" article, is mere speculation.

Quote:
If ExxonMobil's spokesman says the study won't be completed until sometime in 2011, and that "no decisions will be made until the study is completed", just where are you getting your information. Post links; links man...

Old 01-08-2011, 04:11 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,958,071 times
I'll post the links once I get home. And it is really not mere speculation when even Exxon employees in Houston and Virginia are looking at houses in The Woodlands (whose home prices nearest the campus have climbed). You guys are over here hoping an Exxon move to Spring will turn into a move to DFW. Even then, I said Exxon is still doing site work (there is supposedly a single crane on the site) and studies. They're probably just testing the ground.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas