Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2010, 07:41 PM

37 posts, read 116,014 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am researching collin county public records to find-out the recent sold price of single family homes (within a year sold). When I look at the" house "A" the public record shows that say 300K and the next door house "B" shows 100K ( I have done the analyzis and confirm that both A & B are same size , upgrade, built year etc).

Now my question is where does the 300K and 100K come from. Is it reported by the owner of the house to the county OR is it the loan anount on the house OR is it done by the county people ?

I am really got confused ?........My objective here is if someone bough the house for 100K (even though nebour paid 300K), I don't want to another house in the same area more than 100K.

PLEASE help me

Thanks,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2010, 08:03 PM

2,394 posts, read 8,595,227 times
Home sale prices are not public records in Texas. The appraisal office comes up with the "taxable value" of a home.

Old 12-22-2010, 09:08 PM

37 posts, read 116,014 times
Thanks for your reply.

The confusing part for me is that how could be the "taxable value" of house "A" and "B" (exactly same) with the difference of 200K.

Thanks

Old 12-22-2010, 09:10 PM

3,069 posts, read 8,411,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by planoin View Post
Hi,

I am researching collin county public records to find-out the recent sold price of single family homes (within a year sold). When I look at the" house "A" the public record shows that say 300K and the next door house "B" shows 100K ( I have done the analyzis and confirm that both A & B are same size , upgrade, built year etc).

Now my question is where does the 300K and 100K come from. Is it reported by the owner of the house to the county OR is it the loan anount on the house OR is it done by the county people ?

I am really got confused ?........My objective here is if someone bough the house for 100K (even though nebour paid 300K), I don't want to another house in the same area more than 100K.

PLEASE help me

Thanks,
Hello planoin,

I see you have been looking for a home since at least early August. You have many questions with some overlapping themes to them. They are good questions but the available answers you are finding might be potentially confusing. Have you enlisted the assistance of a Real Estate Agent to help you? All of the questions you have can be answered by a good Agent. The Agent will also potentially anticipate many other questions you have not yet asked but most likely would.

Old 12-22-2010, 09:11 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,292,163 times
OP- if you are looking to buy a home, you need to be working with a realtor who specializes in whichever Collin Co suburb you're looking in. Realtors have access to the "sold comps" - actual prices homes sold for- in the MLS. That is the only way you will find our what the market value of a home is. Tax roll records in Texas mean nothing - except the appraisal district's best guess without ever being in a home. For example, one year when I was growing up, our taxes suddenly spiked. My dad went down to the appraisal district (yes, in the 1980's before records were online) and found out DCAD was tacit our home based on having a pool (we didn't) and an extra 1,000 square feet or something of living space. He got it taken care of, but you just never know what "methods" the homes were appraised under.

Old 12-25-2010, 06:36 PM

88 posts, read 286,614 times
Title company are the professionals who report to the county when title has been transferred.

Unconfirmed what exactly you are looking at for tax records and source of data.

Best contact the county office explain where you can receive accurate info OR your buyers agent

Old 12-26-2010, 04:41 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,869,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn411 View Post
Title company are the professionals who report to the county when title has been transferred.

Best contact the county office explain where you can receive accurate info OR your buyers agent
This post is confusing as h***

First off, the title companies do always report EXACTLY the price paid for a property. They report when a property has CHANGED ownership.

Secondly, there is no one at the county tax offices that will be able to help the OP with this. They would laugh their arses off if they got this call. One, they don't have the time. Second, the appraised tax value is avaiable online and they would tell one to go look it up.

Texas is a non disclosure state which means that the purchase price is not always reported. Some publications will post recent sales and include a "purchase price" which is not always accurate as it only counts for the amount being mortgaged. If someone puts down a big down payment that info is not always accurate and can not be used to judge anything worth judging.

Best bet is for the OP to have a good realtor that knows and understands the area(s) they are looking and can accurately use up to date comps.

Old 12-27-2010, 04:09 AM

4,207 posts, read 15,254,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn411 View Post

Too much eggnog Lynn?

Title companies record the deed of trust which includes the loan amount only. They aren't allowed to discuss the actual sales price with anyone without the expressed permission from the seller and and buyer.

There are several websites that claim that they are posting the last sales price of homes in areas and ask you for your contact info (you'll likely be spammed). They actually cannot share that info either because of the non-disclosure laws as explained several times above. Only loan amounts are reported so their data will be skewed.

The appraisal districts do have access to the MLS now but even that is becoming less accurate as more sellers and buyers are asking for the price not to be published and many builders are members of the MLS too and they are posting the same amount as the listed price. It's making it more difficult for us Realtors to do an accurate market analysis and for appraisers too.

Yet, I still agree that you need to work with a Realtor that can guide you through the process.

Naima
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: