Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2010, 04:53 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,551,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overcooked_Oatmeal View Post
And aren't you in Chicago, which is just as segregated as DC, if not more? What's your point, boo?

I never said that things like that were exclusive to Texas or the rest of the South. But since we were talking specifically about Texas/Dallas area...

...But then again, everyone wants to ride my panties and call little ol' me out. It feels so good to be loved!
Don't flatter yourself and thinking that you're all so special just because someone replied to you. I never once said anything about Chicago being a haven for integrated cities. You pointed out a flaw in Dallas that you dislike not even realizing that you live in an area that has the very same flaw. Just a matter of pointing it out.

*edit*. I won't give trolls the time of day especially on the internet.

Old 12-30-2010, 05:23 PM

554 posts, read 1,197,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pappy97 View Post
IMHO, all that is lacking with the DART light rail is: significant connection to DFW (but that's coming I believe with cotton belt line), connection to Arlington sporting venues and a line running along with the DNT. The travesty is that there is significant effort the build a line running parallel to DNT. Otherwise, it's much better off than most metros.
Don't forget the ACTUAL connection to DFW. In 2014, the Orange Line will connect directly to Terminal A where once passengers get off the train they will enter Terminal A, go through security and then take Skylink to the terminal of their choice. The following link is a very well done and specific video: Sky Talk: A view of light rail to D/FW Airport

Old 12-30-2010, 05:49 PM

2,930 posts, read 5,272,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas native View Post
That's quite a blanket perception that you've formed, Stoneclaw. This is a city of many neighborhoods, some of which were independent municipalities prior to being annexed into Dallas and which still retain their own unique character. If one were to only visit parts of Downtown, the majority of Uptown and the many glitzy areas along the Preston Rd. corridor, then I can see how they might come to the conclusion that Dallas is a superficial place. But, character abounds in many commercial areas such as the Bishop Arts District in Oak Cliff and in East Dallas destinations such as Deep Ellum, Lakewood Village, Lower Greenville Ave. and Henderson Ave. Oak Lawn offers tons of character(s), especially in the gayborhood. Due south of Downtown, the Cedars offers a funky blend of bohemian & ghetto. Some of the residential 'hoods with tons of character that come to mind are historic districts such as Winnetka Hts., Swiss Ave., Munger Place and Junius Hts. Other residential areas that offer an abundance of character are the "M" Streets, Lakewood, Kessler Park, Bluffview and dozens of lesser known neighborhoods throughout the city. Dallas is far from being all about the glitz.

I know that many people stereotype Dallas as being superficial and lacking in character. A few of the regular posters on this forum fan those flames. Then, not surprisingly, a few more people who don't know jack about Dallas just begin to parrot the comments of others in their vain attempts to appear informed on this forum (I'm speaking in generalities, not to you in particular, Stoneclaw). For those who have prejudged Dallas and only seek confirmation of their prejudgments, it's easy to do. But for those who bother to look around outside of the aforementioned glamour zones, finding the character in Dallas is really quite simple.
I wasn't really generalizing, it was more my perception. I've hung out deep in quite a few of the neigborhoods: Uptown/Highland Park, TurtleCreek, Lower Greenville, and a few others. Maybe i could stand to visit some of the other neighborhoods you mention, but judging on the many areas of Dallas, i can't really envision them being vastly different.

I did say Houston is basically the same way, but i think its the international flare and lack of segregation that gives it a slight advantage. Many will probalbly disagree with me, but those are a few reasons why I choose to call Houston "home" in spite of the fact that Dallas overall looks better and cleaner.

Old 12-30-2010, 08:14 PM

674 posts, read 1,538,944 times
Quote:
No surprise here! I wouldn't want to pursue anything with a bigot like you either. You'll be a great fit in the Metroplex

One of the many benefits of white privilege is to pretend certain issues don't exist, ignore certain historical facts, and being arrogant enough to be dismissive and belittle those who actually have to deal with them. Must be nice to live in such a world!

Sure, there is a whoa-is-me culture of victimhood with many in the black community, but hey, even when we do all the "right" things (educational attainment, working hard, being a law-abiding citizen) we're still merely nothing but n******s to many white people. If I had a dime for the times people automatically assumed I was some hoodrat with a bunch of little bastards living off of government assistance, I'd be able to retire early.
Hello OO. While I may not agree with everything you've posted I agree with other things and feel you make good points. I used to live in Texarkana before I moved to Houston and understand exactly what you're saying about how submissive some black people can be. Some whites would tell black or gay jokes, I'm both black and gay, they thought were innocent and funny and I'd have to let them know with a quickness that I didn't appreciate it. Houston is a world away from Texarkana and I love it! Sorry you didn't have a good experience in Tx. As for skids not only is he misinformed but his statements are very ignorant.

Old 12-30-2010, 09:15 PM

5,007 posts, read 15,425,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas native View Post
Any such admission would be superfluous. I'm glad that she found her Nirvana after leaving Keller or whichever Tarrant County suburb it was in which she lived. People who are content with their lives don't generally have a need to go around trashing other cities on the internet.

People who are secure about where they live and know for a fact that it's great don't generally need to go around insulting and cutting down everyone with a different opinion, like so many around here do.

Last I checked, the forum wasn't labeled "The Dallas Worship Forum." It's where people present opinions on Dallas, good and bad.

Old 12-30-2010, 10:00 PM

965 posts, read 1,886,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Don't flatter yourself and thinking that you're all so special just because someone replied to you. I never once said anything about Chicago being a haven for integrated cities. You pointed out a flaw in Dallas that you dislike not even realizing that you live in an area that has the very same flaw. Just a matter of pointing it out.

*edit*. I won't give trolls the time of day especially on the internet.
Oh, I realize it alright, but we weren't talking about DC, but thank you for pointing out something that I already knew

There were other factors about Dallas that made me hate it (ersatz, sterile, fake, etc.), but there were other factors that were the icing on the cake for my hatred of the area.

And yes, I do feel flattered and special indeed. I'm part of a complete breakfast of knowledge, ill tidings, and harsh realities. When people are offended and angered by me, a diva earns her wings

Old 12-30-2010, 10:03 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,551,374 times
Quote:
Oh, I realize it alright, but we weren't talking about DC, but thank you for pointing out something that I already knew

There were other factors about Dallas that made me hate it (ersatz, sterile, fake, etc.), but there were other factors that were the icing on the cake for my hatred of the area.

And yes, I do feel flattered and special indeed. I'm part of a complete breakfast of knowledge, ill tidings, and harsh realities. When people are offended and angered by me, a diva earns her wings
Diva you are not. I don't understand why you continue to say negative things about Dallas in the Dallas forum when you no longer live in Dallas.

Old 12-31-2010, 08:58 AM

1,193 posts, read 3,518,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getmeoutofhere View Post
People who are secure about where they live and know for a fact that it's great don't generally need to go around insulting and cutting down everyone with a different opinion, like so many around here do.

Last I checked, the forum wasn't labeled "The Dallas Worship Forum." It's where people present opinions on Dallas, good and bad.
Last I checked, it wasn't labeled "The Dallas Bashing Forum" either. I have no issue with people who post negative opinions if they are fully informed and they have their facts right. However there are a few out of town posters who seem to thrive on spewing their hatred for Dallas. Often it turns out that their opinions are based on their limited experience living in some distant suburb for a short time and/or on tired old stereotypes. The poster to which I was referring has made numerous comments in the past that put her squarely in the troll category and most people who have been on this forum for a while know that. Calling out someone for being a troll should not be confused with "worship" of Dallas.

Old 12-31-2010, 10:10 AM

8,030 posts, read 9,054,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallassucks View Post
I moved here a little over a year ago and quite frankly I don't understand how anyone could love or even like Dallas. I'm also writing to offer an additional perspective to anyone who is considering Dallas.

The best way I can describe Dallas is that it is Homogenized and Souless.
It's the heavily "zoned" and sterile look that Dallasites seem to prefer. They knock Austin and especially Houston for not being the same, not realizing that not everyone favors the look.

Quote:
Parks/Recreation:
Dallas has to have the least amount of quality parks per capita than any other city. The only parks they have are either too small (and treeless)
Dallas also is practically treeless compared to most cities, in the summer it is especially depressing because you realize the entire metroplex is a giant slab of concrete and there are no area's to truly enjoy the outdoors.
It's just the way that area of the state looks. It's not exactly "treeless", that would be west Texas or the panhandle. But it is without a doubt much less green/lush and containing fewer trees than Houston, Austin and San Antonio.

Quote:
The Arts:
Dallas has built some nice buildings, but they are rather bland and
Again, Dallas seems to prefer this sterile, homogenized look.

Quote:
It seems to me most people live in there own little world, think Dallas is the best place on earth, going to/from their ugly suburb (which all of Dallas is basically a suburb) to try to keep up with the Jones's.
"Keeping up with the Jones" mentality does seem to be a lot more common in Dallas than in the other Texas cities. Though, it is starting to get bad in parts of Austin.

By the way, you may want to change your screen name. You will get flamed for it as it is now.

Old 12-31-2010, 10:14 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Yes, some of us prefer to live where there is zoning.
This is prairie...not supposed to be a ton of trees. That being said, I have a lot of old trees on my property.

If you don't like it, don't live here. That's why I don't live in Houston or Austin...I don't move there and then talk sh*t about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas