Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2010, 10:49 PM

554 posts, read 1,197,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
I've lived in Lewisville, Dallas, and Little Elm. I'm not going to disagree with you on Little Elm, but I will disagree with you on Dallas. Dallas is not a world-class city. It may be on the fringe but it's not New York, LA, Chicago, Miami, Paris, London, Hong Kong, etc.

World-class cities are destinations. How many people do you know who have said "I'm going to Dallas for Spring Break," or "We're spending a week in Dallas hitting all the museums?" Hell Dallas is _barely_ a convention destination.
I will agree with your list with the exception of Miami. Miami isn't world class. Miami is overbuilt. Dallas is a Beta World Class City. It was a Gamma World Class City. So, it is right under the Alpha cities you mentioned, with the exception of Miami ofcourse.

Old 12-28-2010, 10:50 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,952,004 times
Cedar Hill is a very hilly area of Dallas. There is no smog and the cost of living is reasonable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TowerGuy View Post
I can understand people's complaints about scenery to a point. I grew up in California, mountains in the background and all. Really, it is not that big of a deal. You get so busy that you just don't notice them. In California's case, if you want to gaze at the mountains while driving it had better not be on of the 350 days of the year that smog completely obliterates the view.
I live in a city for THE CITY. The man made attractions. If the city has a lot to offer I am there! If I want scenery I sure as hell wouldn't live in a city. I would live in the country/wilderness, in the very heart of the scenery. That's my take on it anyway.

Old 12-28-2010, 10:51 PM

8,606 posts, read 14,894,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Dallas is fantastic because you do not have to put up with the high expenses, crowding, and pervasive traffic of the major world class cities that you just listed.
Or the prestige.

Old 12-28-2010, 10:51 PM

I'm glad Dallas doesn't have the tourism of the major world class cities like New York and Paris.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TowerGuy View Post
I will agree with your list with the exception of Miami. Miami isn't world class. Miami is overbuilt. Dallas is a Beta World Class City. It was a Gamma World Class City. So, it is right under the Alpha cities you mentioned, with the exception of Miami ofcourse.

Old 12-28-2010, 10:52 PM

It doesn't have the prestige because it's in Texas. Texas is seen as a backwater place for many people. Dallas and Houston are the only modern cities in Texas. Every other Texas city is still somewhat backwater and held down by religious and conservative authority.

Quote:
Or the prestige.

Old 12-28-2010, 10:53 PM

Quote:
I'm glad Dallas doesn't have the tourism of the major world class cities like New York and Paris.
Umm, tourism and being a destination is a pretty big part of what makes a city world class.

Old 12-28-2010, 10:56 PM

Dallas has a few amazing arts districts that saliently cater to the community. It's not all sports and shopping.

Quote:
Umm, tourism and being a destination is a pretty big part of what makes a city world class.

Old 12-28-2010, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Dallas has a few amazing arts districts that saliently cater to the community. It's not all sports and shopping.
Dallas could have the best of everything and if nobody from the outside comes here for reasons other than employment it becomes a case of "if a tree falls in the forest and nobody's around to hear it, does it really make a noise?"

Yes, Dallas has some nice things, but it also has those 3 limiting factors (climate, traffic, and scenery). It's hot, gridlocked, and bland here.

Old 12-28-2010, 11:11 PM

554 posts, read 1,197,154 times
Quote:
Dallas could have the best of everything and if nobody from the outside comes here for reasons other than employment it becomes a case of "if a tree falls in the forest and nobody's around to hear it, does it really make a noise?"

Yes, Dallas has some nice things, but it also has those 3 limiting factors (climate, traffic, and scenery). It's hot, gridlocked, and bland here.
Hot? Really? Hot? Yeah in July and August. I swear some Texans whine so much about the heat and act as if Texas is the only spot on Earth that experiences heat. I almost let that scare me from making the move from California. Came here anyway and Alas!, another Texas Tall Tale. Heat sucks anywhere and this North Texas heat is totally tolerable. I have lived here for six years and I say the heat is not THAT bad.

Last edited by TowerGuy; 12-28-2010 at 11:36 PM..

Old 12-28-2010, 11:16 PM

Move to Cedar Hill. That will fix the scenery problem you have.

Traffic can be fixed by avoiding highways and major roads. Take the smaller roads.

It's rare that you will have good climate like that of San Fransisco or Denver in any state.

Quote:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas