Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2011, 09:34 PM

94 posts, read 304,890 times

Advertisements

I recall seeing some aspects of this inquiry addressed in a few other treads, but do not recall seeing a dedicated thread....

We have lived in GA, MN, OH, NC, OH and IN - and besides having had basements, one other difference between what we have experienced and what we are seeing here in N Dallas is the debate about 1st floor/2nd floor master bedrooms... we have small children and our leased home has a huge 1st floor master suite... very nice indeed, but highly inconvenient when it comes to having to run up stairs when one of the children wakes up crying... yes we have a few extra bedrms upstairs that we usually end up sleeping in just in case the kids get up (don't want them stumbling around half awake)... but that kinda defeats the rationale for having the 1st floor master...

In our other moves, when we looked at homes, we found it to be a pretty even split between the mix of 1st and 2nd Mstrbd Rms, with no clear mkt preference one way or another.... this held true for homes priced from $250k-$750k....

So, why does it appear that the mrkt here is so focused on 1st floor master bedrooms? Is a 2nd floor master bdrm a fatal flaw for a home? Are 2nd floor masters more prevalent in starter/ lower priced homes? Should a home with a 2nd floor master have a lower $/sqft, all other things being equal? Anyone have any real world experience trying to sell a home with a 2nd floor master?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2011, 10:17 PM

869 posts, read 2,953,877 times
I would never own a home with the master on the second floor...

of course, I also refuse to purchase a multi-story home...

so I guess that's not much help...

Old 02-01-2011, 04:05 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times
this question about 2nd fl master has no one answer that fits all homes/situations

yes--there are developments where lots are smaller and to get a 3/2 house the beds are all up--
yes--there were some neighborhoods built where many of the houses built (from common tract plans) had master up with 2 or 3 more bedrooms--

there are some homes with the master down and 2-3 beds up but you RARELY will find a house that has a secondary bedroom (like a maid's room) down and the other beds up--
mainly because people in this area don't have maids live in unless they are pretty wealthy and have BIG houses

the most desireable house plan now in say house 350-500K is to have a master and secondary bedroom down with separate baths for them and hopefully a guest bath or half-bath--
that is because owners are often times finding they need a downstairs bedroom for elderly parents/grandparent who comes to live or for small children who just won't sleep upstairs

IF the lot is large enough and it is a custom home, often all beds will be down and the extra areas like media room, game room will be upstairs with maybe a 5th bed/bath

having two beds and two baths down has caused lot of problems especially with more narrow lots and the desire for a 3 car garage--many times those homes give up two living areas--opt for a smaller study and one LA--
just depends on the sq ft/lot size (especially the width) and other factors

Old 02-01-2011, 01:58 PM

201 posts, read 828,943 times
I don't understand having the master on the first floor, given these are large homes we're discussing. if the property owner is elderly, more than likely they will not need a 5,000 square foot home, so that argument is out the window. if the argument is regarding older parents visiting, then a guest room on the first level makes sense, but what does that have to do with the master? lastly, the majority of people occupying these homes have children, why would parents not want to be near their kids?

I'm baffled by this. in AZ where I own a home, single stories are common for the elderly, but massive houses, designed for young families, that have a downstairs master? totally defies logic IMO

Old 02-01-2011, 02:09 PM

2,394 posts, read 8,593,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOD220 View Post
I don't understand having the master on the first floor, given these are large homes we're discussing. if the property owner is elderly, more than likely they will not need a 5,000 square foot home, so that argument is out the window. if the argument is regarding older parents visiting, then a guest room on the first level makes sense, but what does that have to do with the master? lastly, the majority of people occupying these homes have children, why would parents not want to be near their kids?

I'm baffled by this. in AZ where I own a home, single stories are common for the elderly, but massive houses, designed for young families, that have a downstairs master? totally defies logic IMO
Welcome to the DFW housing market. Everyone here thinks they need a huge home, even older folks. From my conversations with real estate agents, if a home is multistory, it is much easier to sell in DFW with the master on the first floor. No sense in trying to make sense of it - it is what it is.

Having owned both single and multi-story, I definitely prefer a single story home. We have just shy of 2600 sq ft on a single floor and we absolutely love the space and it's all way more used than by 2700-ish sq ft 2 story (that incidentally had the master up - which was considered a negative when I sold it).

Brian

Old 02-01-2011, 02:12 PM

201 posts, read 828,943 times
I love single stories myself, back home (So Cal) I loved the old ranch style homes as opposed to the 3 level mansions. so much charm, and they feel HUGE since its all on one level.

I'm in disbelief that elderly people would want a big home. they should be reducing their walking and utility bills, neither of which is accomplished in a massive home. oh well, guess I'll just have to except things are different in Texas!

Old 02-01-2011, 02:12 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,858,565 times
The master down is actually AWESOME with kids and has many advantages.
1. As our kids get older we don't have to hear the teens carrying on and all their friends when they spend the night.
2. No running up and down stairs all day long for every little thing. Leaving and getting ready to walk out the door and realize you left something in the bedroom... no big deal, it's on the first floor.
3. Easy access to the backyard pool/hot tub. Some have a door directly from the master bed or bath to the backyard
4. Privacy. No one above us as most of the houses w/ the master down do not have a room directly above them so no noises from upstairs. And if on the same floor as the kids upstairs we don't have to worry about them being privy to everything we do.
5. Leaves plenty of room upstairs for a game room and/or media room or both.
6. Privacy. Yes, it is that important and it is so much more private having the master down vs upstairs w/ the kids rooms.
7. Those pesky teens and how loud they are. LOL!
8. It really is more convienent to have the master down.

When we moved into our 2 story w/ the kids upstairs our kids were 3 & 7. It really was not a big deal. Never has been. When they were younger if one got sick and did not want to sleep in their bed upstairs they usually slept on the couch in the family room or the one in our bedroom. Now they are 12 & 16 and even when they are sick they prefer their rooms upstairs when they are sick. We have an intercom so they can call down if they need something or I can call up to check on them as well as going up to do so.

Old 02-01-2011, 03:16 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,282,852 times
You'll find that in the DFW suburbs (largely homes built after 1980), master is down.

In older in-town neighborhoods (south of George Bush or so), the master is upstairs.

Know your market and for best resale chances, buy what is popular in your market.

You cannot impose laws of other US markets in the DFW market.

Old 02-01-2011, 03:22 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times
Know your market and for best resale chances, buy what is popular in your market.

You cannot impose laws of other US markets in the DFW market.

double true--and have a knowledgeable agent when you are shopping/buying...

I'm in disbelief that elderly people would want a big home. they should be reducing their walking and utility bills, neither of which is accomplished in a massive home. oh well, guess I'll just have to except things are different in Texas!

yes--people are free to chose what they like and can afford...and some people love the area they are in and don't want to move away as they age--which is really a testiment to how great some of the DFW areas are...

Old 02-01-2011, 04:31 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,155,879 times
This subject has been beat to death on several earlier posts if you will do a search.

And yes, most people over 35 do not want to climb stairs to get to a master and it is more efficient to cool / heat a home when the master is down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas