Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 06:44 PM

4 posts, read 12,357 times

Advertisements

Looking for some information regarding the area around Royal Lane and Abrams Road in Dallas, 95243. Specifically interested in crime, housing and employment issues. Getting conflicting information from lots of different people, and I'm not sure how accurate the various crime mapping websites are. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2011, 07:39 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,463,955 times
You mean 75243? That's Lake Highlands. What elementary school zone is it? You have to have the exact address and plug it on here RISD School Locator System.

There are some nice single family home neighborhoods over there but there is at least one elementary school right in the middle of those homes that the neighoborhood families don't use - Skyview Elementary. Instead those families use Highlander private school, Scofield, St. Patricks or Hamilton Park Pacesetter magnet. But Moss Haven Elementary is a good school.

ETA: What do you mean by employment issues?

Old 02-07-2011, 08:28 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,295,536 times
That's a nice neighborhood with a killer view of Downtown Dallas due to the elevation.

Now the neigborboods a bit to the southwest (Vickery Meadow/ Five Points) and to the northeast (Forrest & Abrams, just north of LBJ) are not nice....but they aren't in the same neighborhood as Royal & Abrams. It's pretty common in Dallas for nice neighborhoods to butt up against bad ones.

Housing ranges from $250-450k or so....mostly newer homes from 1960-1990's.

Crime is fairly low- it's a safe suburban-esque neighborhood.

Employment "issues"- what the heck are you talking about?!

Old 02-07-2011, 08:51 PM

Yes, I meant 75243 (I have clumsy fingers!)

Regarding employment, what kind of jobs are there for people who live in this neighborhood? Are the stores large national retailers, or local mom and pop operations? Is there a hospital or offices or other large employment center that have jobs for admin/support staff within a short distance from Royal and Abrams?

Is this an area that's considered blighted or dangerous, or just low-income/blue collar? Is there anything happening in the vicinity that would improve the area (such as upcoming development), or conversely, deteriorate the area (i.e. businesses closing, buildings empty, fewer officers to patrol the area)? I know the area around Skillman and Audelia doesn't have a great reputation, and that's about a mile away from the area; are they comparable neighborhoods?

Old 02-07-2011, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
That's a nice neighborhood with a killer view of Downtown Dallas due to the elevation.

Now the neigborboods a bit to the southwest (Vickery Meadow/ Five Points) and to the northeast (Forrest & Abrams, just north of LBJ) are not nice....but they aren't in the same neighborhood as Royal & Abrams. It's pretty common in Dallas for nice neighborhoods to butt up against bad ones.

Housing ranges from $250-450k or so....mostly newer homes from 1960-1990's.

Crime is fairly low- it's a safe suburban-esque neighborhood.

Employment "issues"- what the heck are you talking about?!
I was actually trying to figure out where Royal and Abrams is in relation to Vickery Meadows/Five Points. What are the rough boundaries of this area?

Old 02-07-2011, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MClarke View Post
Yes, I meant 75243 (I have clumsy fingers!)

Regarding employment, what kind of jobs are there for people who live in this neighborhood? Are the stores large national retailers, or local mom and pop operations? Is there a hospital or offices or other large employment center that have jobs for admin/support staff within a short distance from Royal and Abrams?

Is this an area that's considered blighted or dangerous, or just low-income/blue collar? Is there anything happening in the vicinity that would improve the area (such as upcoming development), or conversely, deteriorate the area (i.e. businesses closing, buildings empty, fewer officers to patrol the area)? I know the area around Skillman and Audelia doesn't have a great reputation, and that's about a mile away from the area; are they comparable neighborhoods?
Did you bother to read our replies? It's a very nice, middle to upper-middle class neighborhood in a neighborhood generally regarded as having excellent public schools (courtesy of Richardson ISD's Lake Highlands feeder patterns). Most people have professional jobs- attorneys, business/ finance/ management, IT, etc. It's neither blighted nor dangerous nor blue collar....AT ALL.

If you need public transit or need to walk to work....there isn't much within an easy commute. Presbyterian and Medical City hospitals are about 1-2 miles west. NorthPark mall has many national retailers and is 3-4 miles south. There are some shops/restaurants in the neighborhood- closest shopping center is at Skillman & Walnut Hill, about a mile southeast.

Old 02-07-2011, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MClarke View Post
I was actually trying to figure out where Royal and Abrams is in relation to Vickery Meadows/Five Points. What are the rough boundaries of this area?
Viceroy Meadows/ Five Points is bordered by Northwest Hwy to the south, 75 to the west, Abrams to the east and Park Lane/ Merriman Park to the north. Merman Park is safe- and I know the areas look close on the map but they are worlds apart. I would not worry about spillover crime from Vickery Meadows at Royal & Abrams.

Old 02-07-2011, 09:22 PM

264 posts, read 625,128 times
Investor looking for multi-family property?

There is a significant difference between the SFR neighborhoods and multi-family in that area.

Old 02-07-2011, 09:25 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,463,955 times
People in Lake Highlands don't typically work within that neighborhood unless they are a school teacher in the local schools. It's mostly houses and people work in other parts of Dallas like downtown Dallas. There is some retail but there is a shortage of restaurants. Look at Google earth.

Old 02-07-2011, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakehighlands View Post
Investor looking for multi-family property?

Ooh, good call!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas