Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 03:24 PM

5,092 posts, read 8,849,518 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamiltonpl View Post
I have never once heard one white person discuss black people as "beast of burden" or using the Bible to say black people were cursed by God. I've read that Mormons used to believe that, but that church no longer adheres to that absurd silliness. Where on earth were you when a white person told you that? Who was it? Why would "a large segment" of the North Texas white population say that to a black person but not me -- even once? Did they also tell you about the Illuminati and little green men?

It wasn't "North Texas" that was bigoted. That's the same type of prejudicial thinking of the OP. It's naive -- at best -- to label 6.5 million people as having the same or similar negative characteristics. It sounds like you hung out with nutty conspiracy theorists. They weren't representative of North Texas, white people or even humanity. I grew up in the whitest of neighborhoods and never heard such grandiose conspiracy laden racial propaganda. It is strange (and hard to believe) that they would tell that to a black person.
Now you all know by now not to pay Lil' Oatmeal any mind. Just leaver her in her corner.

Old 03-01-2011, 03:27 PM

473 posts, read 1,568,882 times
Quote:
I have never once heard one white person discuss black people as "beast of burden" or using the Bible to say black people were cursed by God. I've read that Mormons used to believe that, but that church no longer adheres to that absurd silliness. Where on earth were you when a white person told you that? Who was it? Why would "a large segment" of the North Texas white population say that to a black person but not me -- even once? Did they also tell you about the Illuminati and little green men?
It is probably rare to still hear this but sadly this is all too true in history. It was a large part of the Southern defense of slavery during the Antibellum period. The story of Cain and Abel was used by self-proclaimed white Christians to show that one was cursed and the argument was made that Africans descended from the cursed brother. Therefore deemed inferior by God and condemned to a life of servitude.

Total crap but sadly true.

Last edited by cityconvo; 03-01-2011 at 03:55 PM..

Old 03-01-2011, 03:51 PM

79 posts, read 199,590 times
Default Corporate diversity = fear of lawsuits (Jesse Jackson)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
As an educated black brother who attends a tier 1 college Texas A&M University I can tell you affirmative action=dead. If you want to know the real reason why these corporations are diversifying it’s because minority purchasing power sits at 10 trillion dollars. It’s all about the “Benjamin’s baby”. No matter if you white, black blue, brown, or yellow the main goal of a business is to make a profit. Having a diverse workforce of innovative minds allows an organization to reach out to every segment of the population. This in return allows them to maximize profit.
1. According the United States Supreme Court, affirmative action is alive and well. See Grutter vs Michigan, just a few years ago, where the court upheld the University of Michigan's highly discriminatory (against whites) lawschool selection policies. Afterwards Justice Sandra Day O'Connor, who wrote the opinion, wondered aloud how much longer affirmative action needed to last. "25 years seems like a reasonable figure," she answered herself. After a storm of criticism from liberals, blacks, civil rights activists and diversity advocates, she retracted her statement, saying she could not put a date on the end of affirmative action. In Texas, another form of affirmative action (implemented by George Bush when he was governor) is the top ten percent rule, where the top ten percent of the graduating class of all Texas high schools, including the academically deficient ones (which are all black and Hispanic), are guaranteed admission to the top Texas public universities. Thus, a black in the top ten percent of a low performing HS who has very low SAT scores can and is selected over a white in a high performing HS who is below the top ten percent of that school (perhaps by a hair) and who has far higher SAT scores than the black. That's affirmative action for you. Alive.

2. Perhaps you're too young to know the history behind the corporate world's "embrace" of diversity, but it all happened back in the late 80s and 90s when Jesse Jackson and some other activists started suing Texaco and other big corporations for not having enough blacks in its workforce. Rather than face ruinous lawsuits under the "disparate impact" doctrine, in which an insititution is presumed guilty of discrimination if its workforce at all levels doesn't match the surrounding population's ethnic levels, the corporations caved in and reached out of court settlements. So it has been ever since. One result of this is the increase in absolute numbers of employees at high skill positions, sometimes a doubling. Why? Because the company hired blacks as affirmative action hires (or diversity hires as they are now known) and also hired someone of a different ethnicity (usually white or Asian) to do the actual work that the diversity hire was ostensibly hired for. BTW, if you are correct about diversity = more profits, why don't the Japanese or the Chinese, or the Europeans hire more blacks? Shouldn't Volkswagen and Sony and Siemens be a lot more diverse than they are? Yet they seem to do pretty good, profitwise.

Old 03-01-2011, 03:58 PM

509 posts, read 1,262,465 times
Quote:
I understand. I don't think that many, if any, present day Mormons believe it or even heard it either.

This Wikipedia entry has a good background on the subject. It was widely reported when Mitt Romney was running for President.
Black people and the Latter Day Saint movement - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

After the death of Joseph Smith Jr., the Prophet Brigham Young Sr. taught that “Negroes” were black due to the mark of Cain, which also meant that they were Canaanites and were under the curse of Ham. For this reason, most black people of African descent—along with a smaller number of non-black people that the Church also deemed to be Canaanites—were ineligible to be ordained to the Priesthood. They were also barred from participating in the Endowment and celestial marriage, but were allowed to enter the church’s temples to perform baptism for the dead.[5] While this policy existed for over a century, it was always with the promise that "the time will come when [black men] will have the privilege of all [white men] have the privilege of and more."[6] In 1978, church leaders said they had received a revelation that this long-promised time had come, and the Priesthood was offered to black men. All women, black and white, remain ineligible to receive the priesthood.

For critics, the fact that Blacks were not allowed into the priesthood until 1978 supports the on-going argument of racism within the Church. In 1981, a verse that used "white and delightsome" to describe the reward of dark-skinned people if they repented was changed to read, "pure and delightsome."

Additional accusations of the Church's underlying policy of racism occurred in December of 2010, when the Church made changes to chapter headings in its online version of The Book of Mormon. In 2 Nephi, Chapter 5, the original wording was: "Because of their unbelief, the Lamanites are cursed, receive a skin of blackness, and become a scourge unto the Nephites." The phrase, "skin of blackness" is removed in the re-write and becomes: "Because of their unbelief, the Laminites are cut off from the presence of the Lord, are cursed, and become a scourge unto the Nephites."

The second rewrite appears in Mormon, Chapter 5 that used to state, "The Lamanites shall be a dark, filthy, and loathsome people . . ." The new version deletes the label of "dark, filthy, and loathsome" and now reads, "Because of their unbelief, the Lamanites will be scattered, and the Spirit will cease to strive with them." These on-going changes to The Book of Mormon are seen by critics to support the impression of racist rhetoric in The Book of Mormon and the Church's attempts to obliterate that impression.
I know that there are lots of info out there about the church, lots of it completely wrong, and yet other info could be read however one wanted to read it. Either way, somehow you've been interested in finding out about my church and you probably know that as far as race is concerned, it is a very integrated church.

Old 03-01-2011, 03:59 PM

2,549 posts, read 2,723,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
Would ETex and Floyd care to expand on what they think those causes are?
For starters...A lack of opportunity, a perceived lack of opportunity or a combination of both. Combine that with the "isms" that are prevalent in society...racism, sexism, ageism etc...and it can be tough to rise above.

I have read stories of amazing people, born, and raised, in horrid situations that have gone on to much better things. I've also read, and seen, my share of so-called privileged people squandering whatever advantages they were given. This suggests, in part, that choices can make or break us. That, to a degree, we can decide to succeed. It sounds over trivialized but education goes a long way in this matter. Better education tends to lead to more opportunities from a socio-economic standpoint.

Lastly, I have worked in a financial capacity along side Medi-Cal in CA for many years. There is probably some truth to the belief that welfare can destroy the will, or desire, to rise above. That it can cause a unhealthy dependence on the government. With all due respect to the truly needy, I am not stating this as a matter of fact in some empirical sense, and I am fully aware that this might only apply to some.

Old 03-01-2011, 04:00 PM

10 posts, read 28,125 times
White collar criminals. Bernie Madoff, Kenneth Lay, the people of Enron.

Oh yea, I guess that's not that bad. A black person murders someone, controversy. White collar crime is a brush off the shoulder.

Haha, LMAO. More than 60% white collar crimes are commited by caucasians.

Old 03-01-2011, 04:06 PM

509 posts, read 1,262,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
That would be hard to prove, but I don't see why you or others cannot prove the OP wrong if he/she is.... I guess it's just easier to call names then it is to post facts proving the OP wrong...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
Ever morning here (Houston) on the news if there were shootings and robberies 99.9999% of the time it was a black male that did it....

So again I say prove the OP wrong without the name calling...

And Houston schools do have a 48% dropout rate among black students...
I can point out your mistakes too! It is not "then" but "than" and it is not "Ever" but "Every". I have four small kids needing my attention, therefore my mistake. What excuse do you have?
And the only obvious thing from your posts is that you want to fan the flames to an absurd post.

Old 03-01-2011, 04:23 PM

79 posts, read 199,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ganongrey View Post
As a Black man, I actually agree that diversity in an of itself is nothing to celebrate...however. And btw, hispanic is not a race. Latino/Latina.

Do Blacks commit more crimes or are they simply charged more often and convicted at a higher rate, selective prosecution?

Affirmative action, the prevailing notion is that it's a zero-sum game and two equally qualified applicants are exactly the same and the white guy gets the shaft. Not the reality. There is more mythology in quotas than the average Greek can stomach.

There's white privilege, knowing cops won't tail you for being in a nice neighborhood or shopkeepers won't follow you. It's being able to 'fit in' more easily because you look like everyone else in the office or country club.

Wow, did you really just misquote uncorrected SAT data? Correcting for SES, there is no significant difference in score b/t blacks and whites, asians and indians tend to overachieve on the test. And IQ tests are so subjective, throw them out.

With an a couples masters, bachelors, MD and Phd between my BLACK wife and myself, we take issue with the conclusions you are drawing.

Just because I ***** everynight isn't the reason the sun comes up, but you can't disprove it either.

Blacks, especially boys are more likely to have 'behavioral issues' or be placed in special ed or labelled with ADD than their counterparts.

And when whites are a minority, which you equate to being a leper, then what? The world you were raised in is browning.

You seem to be fractionally educated based on your grammar, you seem afraid of change, afraid that maybe there isn't really a difference between the races. Afraid that you have nothing special anymore now that being white is no longer the automatic gold star it once was.

However, we likely won't meet. My family will be happily in the middle of Dallas, well UP and don't venture that far north.

"The academic and professional credentials of middle class blacks created by such a system must remain suspect"

So passing the exact same tests for my multiple medical and surgical licenses are suspect?
My wife defending her Phd thesis successfully is suspect?

You are the reason I have such distaste for affirmative action. You use it to disqualify any actual achievements. AA may get you in the door, but it doesn't get you a degree.

Honestly, you are educated enough to be dangerous and troublesome for Blacks and Latinos at your SES. I hope you are in no position of authority over anyone of color.
You don't have to believe the statistics that blacks commit more crimes, but according to your post you are scientifically trained, so I would hope you can understand that the statistics are generally accurate. Perhaps you are aware that we now have a problem of "black jury nullification," where a black dominated jury refuses to convict a black of a crime (usually against a white), even when the evidence presented in the trial is overwhelming in favor of a conviction. The most famous example of this is of course OJ Simpson, but there have been many others. OJ, btw, is (or was, I suppose) a member of the black upper class, yet he butchered his wife and killed another man. Or perhaps you think he's innocent?

Affirmative Action. Long version: see my reply to the college educated brother. Short version: GRUTTER VS MICHIGAN.

White privilege? Nope. Statistics again. Something you should be familiar with. BTW, I was stopped and my car searched several times by drug interdiction checkpoints on Interstate 10 out west near El Paso during the late 80's. Reason: I was a single white male, traveling alone at night in a "drug corridor." Didn't like it. So what? That's life.

The SAT data I cited reflects SES and quite clearly shows middle class black SAT scores below white working class SAT scores. The general data on SAT scores for all races / ethnic groups tracks well with IQ data, with Askenazi Jews, NE Asians at the top, then whites, then Hispanics, and blacks at the bottom. If IQ tests are so subjective, why do Asians outscore whites on them? Almost all the tests were designed by whites.

As far as your family's credentials go...don't take this personally. Perhaps what I'm saying doesn't apply to you. I acknowledge there are blacks who are smarter than most whites. But again, the large numbers I'm talking about are ignored at our peril. Since you're an M.D., you might know about that black run hospital in the L.A. area that had to be shut down because it had such a high mortality rate. That seems to be a problem in other institutions which become run by or dominated by blacks, even professionally educated, highly credentialed blacks. Think Haiti, or Detroit or Africa. Not exactly testimonials to how well blacks do on their own. But I suppose your response will be that the root cause of all these disasters is white racism, colonialism, slavery, etc., etc. Personally, I don't see it.

Black boys. I don't know why they are the way they are. But the fact remains: the higher a black population (i/c girls) at a school, the higher the violence and dropout rates and the lower the test scores and other indices of academic standards.

Old 03-01-2011, 04:23 PM

1,518 posts, read 5,270,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityconvo View Post
It is probably rare to still hear this but sadly this is all too true in history. It was a large part of the Southern defense of slavery during the Antibellum period. The story of Cain and Abel was used by self-proclaimed white Christians to show that one was cursed and the argument was made that Africans descended from the cursed brother. Therefore deemed inferior by God and condemned to a life of servitude.

Total crap but sadly true.
Yeah, the first time I ever heard about that was in this forum by Overcooked. I had no idea what "the curse of Cain" was. I've never once heard a person talk about that before. It doesn't even make sense to me.

It's weird that white people are telling OO all this conspiratorial racial stuff and leaving a white dude out in the cold.

Old 03-01-2011, 04:27 PM

1,518 posts, read 5,270,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moorhen3 View Post
I know that there are lots of info out there about the church, lots of it completely wrong, and yet other info could be read however one wanted to read it. Either way, somehow you've been interested in finding out about my church and you probably know that as far as race is concerned, it is a very integrated church.
Absolutely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas