Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 03:46 PM

15 posts, read 75,860 times

Advertisements

We are currently in Oregon and planning to move to Texas. We are looking around the Dallas area since that is where I grew up.

We absolutely LOVE Frisco, because it has all the things that are important to us. It's small, but growing quickly and has a lot of room for growth. We love the school system and the excellent ratings. That is VERY important to us as we have 3 young kids. We love that it is newer and is geared towards families. We like that it's pretty far outside the city, so it feels small, but close enough that we can go to the city for things without too much hassle.

We don't like the HOAs, but are willing to try and find a house with some land that is not in a HOA area.

My question is, are there any other areas around Dallas that are like Frisco? I haven't been back in 10 years, so I am sure a lot has changed.

We are looking at Allen, Flower Mound, and Mesquite possibly. Any other suggestions?

My husband is a cop, so we will research that with the suggestions. Also, we will want to buy a house soon after we move and our budget will be between $200-250k. It is VERY important to us to have a decent sized lot. We would sacrific a newer/bigger house for more land.

TIA!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2011, 03:55 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,916,091 times
In Frisco or Allen you are going to have a hard time finding a fairly new house in an area that has no HOA and has some land or even a pretty large lot. Pretty much all of the suburbs around here require that all new developments have an HOA and have for about 15 years.

Frisco and Allen have changed a LOT in 10 years. You won't recognize it at all. You are not going to feel like you are in a "small" area at all away from the city.

Old 02-28-2011, 04:04 PM

1,190 posts, read 2,639,251 times
I agree that Frisco probably won't give you a "small town" feel. Lots of people rave about Flower Mound.

Good luck.

Old 02-28-2011, 04:27 PM

5,872 posts, read 8,103,665 times
Allen, McKinney, Prosper, Fairview, Melissa (probably a little too far out, but still nice and schools are good, but small).

Agree w/ above...Frisco has over 100k and is still booming per year. But it's still just small/big enough.

Old 02-28-2011, 04:32 PM

1 posts, read 1,589 times
Prosper is the better area if your wanting to look for a little more land. There is tons of nice little apartments to settle in for a short stay while you begin your search for that perfect home. Just please stay away from Hidden Creek Apartments in Allen Tx. lots of nice walking trails with plenty of trees and parks for Shade! Welcome back to Texas

Old 02-28-2011, 04:35 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,707,783 times
I wouldn't recommend Mesquite. You should think about Murphey, tho. Great schools and fits most of your criteria. Check out Highland Village, too.

Old 02-28-2011, 05:00 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,192,873 times
Frisco is small? I think it has five high schools and they have to change many attendance zones each year because of the growth.

Old 02-28-2011, 05:31 PM

15 posts, read 75,860 times
Well, I consider Frisco small being as I grew up closer to Dallas. It is about the same size as the county we live in currently and my husband is a deputy here so we know the county well and are very clear on size.

We have looked in Frisco and have found several homes within our budget that have a decent amount of land. We don't need huge..just a good size. Between .25 and 1 acre is what we are hoping for. We actually already found a house in Frisco that we LOVE, but won't be in the position to buy until we get down there.

Why no Mesquite? It's one of our top 5..

Old 02-28-2011, 05:37 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,707,783 times
Mesquite's schools are not rated as highly as your other choices....

Old 02-28-2011, 05:43 PM

2,348 posts, read 4,822,820 times
Flower Mound is your best choice here. Look at some real estate stats and you can see its far more stable than Frisco in that respect. Also the schools are tops. Town is spotless and quiet and conveniently located to the airport and (IMO) to the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas