Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2012, 06:10 PM

104 posts, read 164,787 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know if there are any chicken egg auctions etc anywhere? I had no idea they even existed until my mom called me just now and told me she was at an auction and she got 7 dozen free range organic eggs for $2.50 per dozen! She then got 2 dozen more for $1.75 each. I thought that was awesome considering I pay $4.59 a dozen for our eggs at the grocery store.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2012, 07:50 PM

690 posts, read 1,729,680 times
You may want check with the local feed store. My local feed store has a sign that they sell organic eggs but I did not check the price per dozen.

Old 09-01-2012, 09:33 PM

2,973 posts, read 9,484,431 times
Pastured eggs are quite sought after...never heard of any auctions to get rid of supply.

Old 09-01-2012, 10:50 PM

1,245 posts, read 3,435,746 times
The only auctions I can find doing any searching are for lots of eggs to be hatched... at quite a lot more than that. Let me know if you do find any, I can always use more eggs.

Old 09-02-2012, 08:14 AM

104 posts, read 164,787 times
thanks everyone. I might check out the local farms and see if they at least have organic eggs and sell them at a lower price than the retailers. If I stumble upon an auction etc I'll post it. The auction my mom went to was in another state while visiting my brother. Neither of us had any idea they even existed at all =)

Old 09-04-2012, 06:46 AM

2,256 posts, read 9,763,936 times
That's a lot of eggs! Maybe you might want to get a couple of chickens for your backyard? Fresh eggs ARE the best!

Old 09-04-2012, 06:48 AM

48 posts, read 132,401 times
Default Organic?

Stanford University just completed a study on eating organic foods and found no evidence it is healthier. However, it is much cooler to pay twice as much for food and call it organic and tell everybody you did.

"Stanford doctors conclude in study there's little evidence that organic foods are much healthier"

Old 09-04-2012, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasmccurrys View Post
Stanford University just completed a study on eating organic foods and found no evidence it is healthier. However, it is much cooler to pay twice as much for food and call it organic and tell everybody you did.

"Stanford doctors conclude in study there's little evidence that organic foods are much healthier"
Actually that study found a lot of evidence that it was healthier, and Stanford has been pretty upset over that headline originally used on fox news I believe, and the copied by other outlets.

The study showed that there were no additional nutritional benefits, but I didn't think that anyone thought that the nutritional content of an apple was effected by what kind of epsticide you used. It DID conclude for example That those eating organic produce had a much lower amount of pesticide residue in their system. It also fount that eating organic meats reduced exposure to antibiotic resistant bacteria as much as 1/3. This is hardly showing that organic foods are not much healthier.

I've never met anyone who eats organic because they believe an organic tomato is higher in nutrients than a non-organic tomato (of the same strain of course.) I know a lot of people who eat organic produce to minimize pesticide and antibiotic resistant bacteria exposure, and it would appear these things work.

Don't just read the headline, read the study results.

From a pretty good NBC news article on what the study did and didn't find.

Organic produce and meat typically isn't any better for you than conventional varieties when it comes to vitamin and nutrient content, according to a new review of the evidence

and
There were more significant differences by growing practice in the amount of pesticides and antibiotic-resistant bacteria in food.
More than one-third of conventional produce had detectable pesticide residues, compared to seven percent of organic produce samples. And organic chicken and pork was 33 percent less likely to carry bacteria resistant to three or more antibiotics than conventionally-produced meat.

It also points out that most conventional produce did not have pesticide amounts over the legall limts... so it comes down to if you believe the EPA when it says those amounts are safe, or the other studies that say they aren't but the study did not find no difference.

I find the scary part being the drug resistant antibiotics in pork and chicken. It is illegal to raise poultry and pork with antibiotics or growth hormones, but whistle blowers have claimed the practice is still widespread. Seems as though it must be for there to be that difference.

Old 09-04-2012, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spree View Post
That's a lot of eggs! Maybe you might want to get a couple of chickens for your backyard? Fresh eggs ARE the best!
Skip the chickens, go straight for the ducks. We are considering increasing our flock as we have been eating more and more eggs. They are soooo good.

Old 09-04-2012, 10:50 AM

2,973 posts, read 9,484,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasmccurrys View Post

We eat organic to lessen out exposure to chemicals, pesticides, antibiotics and all that junk used in industrial farming. Not sure why anybody thinks eating organic leads to more vitamins and minerals...that's rather misguided and not seeing the real purpose of organics.

Executive Summary: Eat your fruits and vegetables! | EWG's 2012 Shopper's Guide to Pesticides in Produce
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: