Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 07:58 PM

41 posts, read 96,950 times

Advertisements

I do not like a house facing west, so I will pass this one directly. But I do believe that the house is over priced. The Price/SQFT is as high as $ 106.52, which you can hardly find in that neighborhood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtothisplace View Post
I worked with my agent and this is what we came up with. We did not opt to pursue as island cooktop was a big no no for us (sorry, it is our personal preference.

We liked the size of the 3 Bdrs in the second floor, much bigger than many of the houses in the market; particularly compared to the size of the MBR (MBR size is small when compared to the size of the house and when compared to other houses in that area), we also liked the flooring and front elevation.

With all the available data we could only come up to 285K, we thought at 340K it is overly priced; you can work with your realtor; there may be other factors you may or may not like and you and your realtor may estimate higer or lower than what we came up with.

About Zillow: Momof2 & TC80 knows DFW area very well and they may be correct about Zillow regarding TX properties, back in CA we use Zillow a lot and it is pretty accurate. Of course we did not use Zillow as a data point for our calculation regarding DFW properties.

Good Luck.

Last edited by Reaare; 03-22-2011 at 08:19 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2011, 08:15 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,882,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtothisplace View Post
About Zillow: Momof2 & TC80 knows DFW area very well and they may be correct about Zillow regarding TX properties, back in CA we use Zillow a lot and it is pretty accurate. Of course we did not use Zillow as a data point for our calculation regarding DFW properties.

Good Luck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
Zillow works in Cali because sold prices are public information there. I could google your name and former Cali address and find about 100 websites with the purchase price you bought & sold for. Texas is non-disclosure, which means purchase prices are private. You can even keep your purchase price out of the MLS if you choose to "z" it out.
^^^ This.

Texas is a whole different market than many others. Zillow is totally WORTHLESS in Texas. It means nothing. I laugh at the figures it has my house at on both the high and low ends that they have had it listed. On the high end, if someone knocked on my door and offered me the highest Zillow has had on there..... I'd take the money and RUN! On the low end, if someone even THOUGHT of offering me the lowest they have had on Zillow for my house I would not even dare to so much as entertain the offer as I would not even want to waste my time with such.

Bottom line is............. you can NOT use Zillow for Texas real estate.

Old 03-22-2011, 08:18 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,198,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaare View Post
I do not like a house facing west, so I will pass this one directly. But I do believe that the house is over priced. The Price/SQFT is as high as $ 106.52, which you can hardly find in that neighbored.
Where is your agent and why aren't you taking their advice ?

I love the Indian community who buys all the East facing houses. That hot west sun in the summer makes the backyards of east facing homes extremely hot and unusable in the summer. East facing houses are worth less to most of us so they do us all a favor buying homes few others want.

If they could just figure out how to get rid of the curry smells, it stinks worse then cigarette smoke.

Old 03-22-2011, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post

I love the Indian community who buys all the East facing houses. That hot west sun in the summer makes the backyards of east facing homes extremely hot and unusable in the summer. East facing houses are worth less to most of us so they do us all a favor buying homes few others want.

If they could just figure out how to get rid of the curry smells, it stinks worse then cigarette smoke.

So true on sooooooo many points.

I have never heard in all my years here anyone concerned about which direction a house faced except on here by some who THINK that a house MUST face a certain way. A lot on here because of the weather. Which has a very simple solution, better insulation, better built, better windows, tinted windows and TREES! Meanwhile, us natives are more about the lots location w/in the development, culdescac, size, etc. These are the things that REALLY add value to a lot in this market, not which direction the house faces.

I know of a house that the Indian owners put a kitchen in out in the garage. It really did not help and when the house was on the market it sat forever.

Old 03-22-2011, 08:25 PM

I believe Chinese feng shui, so I prefer a house with the backyard facing south. facing east or west both are big deal breakers for us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post

Old 03-22-2011, 08:29 PM

Quote:
I believe Chinese feng shui, so I prefer a house with the backyard facing south. facing east or west both are big deal breakers for us.
That means your front will be facing the north. Think high winds and COLD winds when blue northers come thru. Dallas has pretty high winds, actually we are more windy than Chicago. On these days when you open your front door expect a huge burst of cold air to come shooting thru your entire house.

Old 03-22-2011, 08:36 PM

That's true, but I think we do not use the front very often.

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
That means your front will be facing the north. Think high winds and COLD winds when blue northers come thru. Dallas has pretty high winds, actually we are more windy than Chicago. On these days when you open your front door expect a huge burst of cold air to come shooting thru your entire house.

Old 03-22-2011, 08:48 PM

Quote:
That's true, but I think we do not use the front very often.
While you personally may not come and go a lot thru the front you will probably be going out the front to get the mail AND you will have the most windows facing that away in many houses.

Old 03-22-2011, 08:51 PM

Oh, thanks for reminding. I totally forget my mail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
While you personally may not come and go a lot thru the front you will probably be going out the front to get the mail AND you will have the most windows facing that away in many houses.

Old 03-22-2011, 09:09 PM

8 posts, read 20,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
Zillow is TOTAL CRAP in Texas because we are a non-disclosure state (ie, sales prices are CONFIDENTIAL and no one except liscenced brokers with MLS access will know them). PLEASE, DO NOT COUNT ON ZILLOW TO MAKE AN INFORMED DECISION!!!

What does your realtor say? What are the recent sold comps in the area? That is the best indicator of current market value....NOT ZILLOW!!
Since Texas is a non-disclosure state, Do realtors/brokers know how much a house just actually sold for? I figured they would just give an educated guess by looking at the listing price prior to the sale? They would then base there comps off the last list price? Just wondering.

Last edited by MrQster; 03-22-2011 at 09:10 PM.. Reason: misspelling
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: