Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2011, 05:40 PM

3 posts, read 5,925 times

Advertisements

I will be in Addison. Aside from closeness to work, is one area growing in demand over the other? What about being in the loop?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2011, 09:29 PM

178 posts, read 399,132 times
grew up in DFW, lived in houston for several years, back in DFW now. have to to say houston has way more fun things to do. also, the people in houston are friendlier both in town and in the burbs. more culture and fun things to do in inner houston, lots of professionals actually live in and near downtown houston, whereas downtown dallas is a ghost town after 6pm or so.

echoing earlier posts, the huge downside is the weather is intolerably humid and hot in the summer there, way more so than DFW, moving about during the day is like being in a perpetual sauna down there. at least here you can function and move about in the heat. also, getting around town is a nightmare. congestion + poor public planning of highways and mass transit = always in a traffic jam.

if you can tolerate the worse summers and the traffic, quality of life in houston is better imho. people in houston gravitate to the city center and the lack of zoning laws there means ppl from all kinds of backgrounds live next to each other and get along. living in the burbs here in dfw, you dont get that communal feel.

Old 04-19-2011, 09:40 AM

37 posts, read 167,065 times
I've lived in Houston(Pasadena to be exact) and was born and raised and have returned to Dallas and I will echo that the weather is different. Houston is humid and that makes it feel hotter. Also, even though Pasadena is on the South side of Houston and should be less than half an hour from Galveston, I went twice in the year I lived there and those times it was only because of out of town guests. I did try to go down once on my own on a Saturday, the roads were crazy and after waiting in traffic for 45 minutes and moving barely a mile, I got off at the next exit and went home. So yeah, traffic jams are traffic jams anywhere, but it seems like roads are congested, even if there isn't an actual jam, all the time in Houston. And don't forget the whole possibility of a hurricane thing. This causes higher home insurance costs, but what's more annoying is evacuating. I haven't done it, but my sister's done it twice and it took her all day to drive up to Dallas in stopped traffic the whole way.

Still, there are pros to Houston, I liked the downtown area and shopping. I can't really comment about the friendliness of Houston because I don't remember if they were or weren't. I don't remember a lot of outright rudeness though so ymmv.

I'm from Dallas, so of course I prefer it. I know where everything is, have freinds(some I've known since high school) and most of my family. You tend to get more for your housing dollar too. I just moved out of a decent 1 bedroom that cost $470 in a nice area of Dallas with a very low crime rate and lots of shopping within walking distance. This is contrasted with the $500 I paid for a crappy 1 bedroom apartment in Pasadena with the only nearby shopping being Walmart, a high crime rate, and most importantly, a bug problem.

Old 04-19-2011, 01:25 PM

52 posts, read 173,622 times
Houston or Dallas they are both nice cities. But Houston has more culture things to do and an. Actual city feel to it. Yes houston is warmer way more humid but its gonna be Hot anywhere you go in Texas.

Old 04-19-2011, 01:37 PM

1,245 posts, read 3,435,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_haze View Post
Houston or Dallas they are both nice cities. But Houston has more culture things to do.
How so?
I mean theatre wise Dallas is certainly the best of the Texas cities. Musically obviously Austin is the center of the Texas world, which cultural area do you find Houston to be the leader in? (that isn't a slam or a rhetorical question, I'm generally curious)

Old 04-19-2011, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macbeth2003 View Post
How so?
I mean theatre wise Dallas is certainly the best of the Texas cities. Musically obviously Austin is the center of the Texas world, which cultural area do you find Houston to be the leader in? (that isn't a slam or a rhetorical question, I'm generally curious)
nah, houston dwarfs dallas in terms of theatre and the performing arts in general. theatre district there is like 20 blocks, has several performance halls and permanent resident companies for opera, ballet, symphony and theatre. having all four is very very rare, i think only four cities in country have it.

in terms of museums, houston wins if its a head to head with the DMA. if you include amon carter, the modern and kimbell in fort worth, then DFW wins hands down in term of exhibit space and permanent collections.

Old 04-19-2011, 03:30 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,166,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Fred Norris View Post
whereas downtown dallas is a ghost town after 6pm or so.
Have you been in 'downtown dallas' since you 'grew up in DFW'?

Old 04-19-2011, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
Have you been in 'downtown dallas' since you 'grew up in DFW'?
downtown as we speak, office in the CBD. streets are deader than liz taylor right now and its not even 5pm yet

Old 04-19-2011, 03:33 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Festivals, car shows, art shows, wine/cheese tastings, the lakes, the parks, theater, opera, symphony, plays, comedy clubs, yadda, yadda, yadda...

Old 04-19-2011, 03:42 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,882,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Festivals, car shows, art shows, wine/cheese tastings, the lakes, the parks, theater, opera, symphony, plays, comedy clubs, yadda, yadda, yadda...
Let's see:

Wildflower Festival in Richardson coming up and several others as well

The best car show in all of Dallas was this past weekend, imo

The Dallas Art Fair was a few weeks ago

Wine and cheese tastings any given weekend

Lake season is upon us

White Rock Lake

Dallas Summer Musicals

Winspear

Or just chill on the patio w/ a friend and relax
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas