Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2011, 07:51 AM

35 posts, read 50,401 times

Advertisements

I'm from a quiet suburb about an hour from Boston, MA. Looking to relocate to Somewhere, Texas. I'd like to retain quiet living so if Dallas/Austin are anything like Boston during the day it's probably not for me. I've recently visited Brevard County in Florida and would like to find a similar county in Texas close to the big three. I've never visited, but an online job search says thats where the jobs are and it has it's benefits of twisty roads and rolling hills right outside of the city. I'm planning on hitting the road and setting up in a intown suite until I land a job. Being 27 and single and job hunting for IT work what counties should I check out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2011, 08:05 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,854,747 times
DFW is a major urban area--
while I don't think it is as bad or good as Boston in some ways it is busy, noisy, congested--even in suburbs
You can live outside the metro areas in more rustic areas but unless you work from home you would have longer commute and likely heavy traffic
You won't find the ocean or the weather the same in TX as in FL

Old 04-26-2011, 08:17 AM

2,348 posts, read 4,817,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlarivie View Post
I'm from a quiet suburb about an hour from Boston, MA. Looking to relocate to Somewhere, Texas. I'd like to retain quiet living so if Dallas/Austin are anything like Boston during the day it's probably not for me. I've recently visited Brevard County in Florida and would like to find a similar county in Texas close to the big three. I've never visited, but an online job search says thats where the jobs are and it has it's benefits of twisty roads and rolling hills right outside of the city. I'm planning on hitting the road and setting up in a intown suite until I land a job. Being 27 and single and job hunting for IT work what counties should I check out?
I might be able to help you here a little since I have view (albeit limited primarily to Ma.) from both angles. I visit Dallas quite a bit to see family, will be there in May actually, from Ma. all my life. Been to Fla enough to say Dallas Texas absolutely reigns supreme for relocation by comparison.

With that said, the market isn't all people from the NE think it is from casual conversations with people that relocated there etc. There are some important things to note, and take seriously.

Believe it or not traffic is terrible compared to Boston, due to the fact there are 6.5 million people in the area but also things are very spread out.

It's hotter than Haitis there. Take this seriously if you have ANY reservation about heat.

Dallas has more jobs than Austin. If you want to carve out a career, particularly in IT, DFW is the better choice over Austin.

Not sure if you will buy Real Estate, it is cheap(er) overall, but property taxes are very high. And quite honestly, by the time you are done with increased homeowners insurance, increased energy bills etc you don't realize the gains that much. Might be a wash for some..Although I would take taxing at the local level over the state level any day.

Where you work is very dependent on where you would live. Most of the local folk here will be able shed some light on that better than me. They will also tell you it's nuts to move there without a job first, thats debatable really depends on your financial picture. These local folk will be here soon, and are usually very helpful. : )

Overall the lifestyle IMO is much better, more family oriented, and the economy seems more stable. Not necessarily better, but more stable. You really should visit and take some time to drive around the spots that are inside 635 to get an idea for the city. If you want suburbs, Plano has lots of Telecom jobs, and is very centrally located.

People are super nice, helpful, patient and well mannered compared to people in the Northeast as well. Overall, being a MA native with a desire to relocate, I think you will agree once you visit, Texas is a very nice place to settle down and have a career-particularly Dallas.

Old 04-26-2011, 08:21 AM

BTW, which suburb are you in? I am about an hour outside of Boston as well.

Old 04-26-2011, 08:23 AM

Shrewsbury, a sub of Worcester

Old 04-26-2011, 08:31 AM

19,781 posts, read 18,073,660 times
Quote:
What precisely do you do?

IT means a lot of things.

For example there are infinite help desk guys looking for work or happy to have any job in an IT shop around here.

My wife/her company have been hiring a lot, maybe 10, of young MBA types for new project managements positions over the last year. She's the CIO of an oil company.

As mentioned above the IT markets in Houston and especially Dallas are a long way ahead of Austin, that's been the case for many years.

Best of luck.

Old 04-26-2011, 08:48 AM

Windows server engineer, MCP/MCSE/EMCPP, VMware. All the good stuff!

Old 04-26-2011, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Shrewsbury, a sub of Worcester
Haha, I am in Whitinsville, south of Worcester..Hello neighbor.

Old 04-26-2011, 08:52 AM

That's the best place to live around here IMO! Used to consult at the bank a few years ago.

Old 04-26-2011, 08:53 AM

19,781 posts, read 18,073,660 times
Quote:
Windows server engineer, MCP/MCSE/EMCPP, VMware. All the good stuff!
OK that IS IT. My guess is you are one of the few who could move here and then look for a job and not be taking a massive risk in doing so.

If you come this way, anywhere around DFW, DT me or PM me or whatever it's called here and I can forward your res. to my wife. She's very well wired into the IT scene around here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: