Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2011, 05:00 PM

5 posts, read 6,366 times

Advertisements

HI. I AM LOOKING TO MOVE TO TEXAS IN TWO MONTHS. If your from philly, currently I live near Walnut and broad across from Tiffany's and Ralph Lauren. My rent is 2000k a month. I am looking to go down to 1500 a month. I am married, african american, in my twenties with no children. I have a car but can afford to pay for parking as well as other stuff that comes with living in a major city. In Philly I am 100% comfy with all people of different races and want the people to treat me the same. I really enjoy the arts, gourmet dining, and not having to drive anywhere to do what I have to do. Which do you think is better for me and my husband, downtown DALLAS, AUSTIN, OR HOUSTON. I want to live someplace where there is a clear separation between bad and good neighborhoods. ALSO WALKABILITY IS HIGHLY DESIRABLE. Also so there is no confusion, I do not want to be able to see the skyline I want to really be downtown. Some people in Philly say they live in Center City but they really don't. Not sure how you guys roll down there.

Last edited by patotexas; 05-05-2011 at 05:09 PM.. Reason: sounded tooo snobby
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2011, 05:28 PM
k_s

405 posts, read 896,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by patotexas View Post
HI. I AM LOOKING TO MOVE TO TEXAS IN TWO MONTHS. If your from philly, currently I live near Walnut and broad across from Tiffany's and Ralph Lauren. My rent is 2000k a month. I am looking to go down to 1500 a month. I am married, african american, in my twenties with no children. I have a car but can afford to pay for parking as well as other stuff that comes with living in a major city. In Philly I am 100% comfy with all people of different races and want the people to treat me the same. I really enjoy the arts, gourmet dining, and not having to drive anywhere to do what I have to do. Which do you think is better for me and my husband, downtown DALLAS, AUSTIN, OR HOUSTON. I want to live someplace where there is a clear separation between bad and good neighborhoods. ALSO WALKABILITY IS HIGHLY DESIRABLE. Also so there is no confusion, I do not want to be able to see the skyline I want to really be downtown. Some people in Philly say they live in Center City but they really don't. Not sure how you guys roll down there.
Downtown Austin is pretty walkable. Downtown Dallas and Houston -- not so much. You're going to need a car to get around.

If you choose Dallas - it sounds like you'd like the Uptown area. In Houston, stay inside the loop.

But first step should be securing a job down here -- once you know where that will be, people can give you better suggestions.

Old 05-05-2011, 05:37 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,298,950 times
1. What you described in Dallas or Houston isn't "Downtown." If you get a map of Dallas, the true "downtown" is the area bordered by I-30 to the south, I-35 to the west, I-45/US75 to the east, and Woodall Rogers Fwy to the north. Not many people live downtown. There isn't even a real grocery store there. The clubs there are kind of ghetto. There are a few nice restaurants open for lunch, but after dark...... I don't think you'd really want to live IN downtown.

2. Where you DO want to live in Dallas is Uptwown- the neighborhood immediately north of Woodwall Rogers Frwy. It sounds like you might be interested in living in a building like the Ashton. The Ashton Stanley Korshak Stanley Korshak - Dallas Luxury Shopping, a luxury store selling couture/designer collections from Valentino, Lanvin, Chloe, Armani / contemporary collections from DVF/ Alexander Wang/ Philip Lim / Vince, and shoes & accessories from Choo/ VBH/ McQueen/ Zanotti is right across the street from the Aston. In the nearby West Village shopping center you'll find Ralph Lauren, Brooks Brothers and a slew of other cute boutiques.

The area is very walkable. You're within 2-3 blocks of tons of trendy & upscale restaurants and bars.
..:: Dean Fearing ::..
Welcome to Arcodoro & Pomodoro - Dallas
The Common Table ? Uptown Dallas Restaurant & Bar
http://www.sfuzziuptown.com/
Nick & Sam's
Dallas Fine Dining Restaurants | Hotel ZaZa Dallas - Dining | Best Restaurants in Dallas Texas
Ocean Prime - Dallas > Home
Teddy's Room Dallas

There is a free trolley on McKinney Avenue- about a 3 block walk from the Ashton that connects to the downtown Arts District, where you will find:
Dallas Museum of Art - Home
Nasher Sculpture Center - Home
AT&T Performing Arts Center | Home

Within the Uptown neighborhood, you'll find:
Theatre Three, Inc.
The McKinney Avenue Contemporary

Other attractions in Uptown:

Major concerts & events, plus Dallas Mavericks & Dallas Stars games at American Airlines Center (2 blocks from the Ashton)
Entertainment Venue, Dallas Texas - American Airlines Center - Home Of The Mavericks and Stars

soon to be 20 mile hiking/biking trail (currently about 8 miles). Southern entrance is at the American Airlines Center
Friends of Katy Trail:

West Village development with apartments, restaurants, bars & shopping
West Village

Old 05-05-2011, 06:08 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,214,794 times
Patotexas, welcome to downtown Texas. This is going to be a very different experience for you as downtown in Texas is not like downtown - or city center - in the east.

Downtown Houston is notorious for shutting down with the sun and closed on weekends. And most of what happens in downtown Houston happens underground, during business hours. Houston's downtown in connected from end to end, top to bottom by tunnels. If you can find it at street level, it's happening in the tunnels. Humidity is high in Houston and rain is frequent. Houston's tunnels are one of humanities finest examples for the use of air conditioning.

Austin may be the most active downtown, due to its proximity to the capital of Texas and just beyond that, the University of Texas. Those two businesses are the primary focus of Austin and the state government meets for only two months, every other year. This leaves the college crowd as the reason for the city. Though Austin does have an annual music event, Austin City Limits Music Festival.

Downtown Dallas attempts to recreate downtown activity but that comes and goes with cyclical economies. There are great places to live in downtown Dallas but when it comes to an evening out, you'll be using your car to go somewhere that is NOT in downtown Dallas. Including grocery shopping.

TurtleCreek80 has provided your best info for a near town experience in Texas. The area TC80 references is the brown and grey, between the downtown blue and Oak Lawn yellow. This is where young and vibrant Dallas is happening. And near Lakewood for the out of near downtown experience.

Sorry about the skyline.

Old 05-05-2011, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
1. What you described in Dallas or Houston isn't "Downtown." If you get a map of Dallas, the true "downtown" is the area bordered by I-30 to the south, I-35 to the west, I-45/US75 to the east, and Woodall Rogers Fwy to the north. Not many people live downtown. There isn't even a real grocery store there. The clubs there are kind of ghetto. There are a few nice restaurants open for lunch, but after dark...... I don't think you'd really want to live IN downtown.

2. Where you DO want to live in Dallas is Uptwown- the neighborhood immediately north of Woodwall Rogers Frwy. It sounds like you might be interested in living in a building like the Ashton. The Ashton Stanley Korshak Stanley Korshak - Dallas Luxury Shopping, a luxury store selling couture/designer collections from Valentino, Lanvin, Chloe, Armani / contemporary collections from DVF/ Alexander Wang/ Philip Lim / Vince, and shoes & accessories from Choo/ VBH/ McQueen/ Zanotti is right across the street from the Aston. In the nearby West Village shopping center you'll find Ralph Lauren, Brooks Brothers and a slew of other cute boutiques.

The area is very walkable. You're within 2-3 blocks of tons of trendy & upscale restaurants and bars.
..:: Dean Fearing ::..
Welcome to Arcodoro & Pomodoro - Dallas
The Common Table ? Uptown Dallas Restaurant & Bar
http://www.sfuzziuptown.com/
Nick & Sam's
Dallas Fine Dining Restaurants | Hotel ZaZa Dallas - Dining | Best Restaurants in Dallas Texas
Ocean Prime - Dallas > Home
Teddy's Room Dallas

There is a free trolley on McKinney Avenue- about a 3 block walk from the Ashton that connects to the downtown Arts District, where you will find:
Dallas Museum of Art - Home
Nasher Sculpture Center - Home
AT&T Performing Arts Center | Home

Within the Uptown neighborhood, you'll find:
Theatre Three, Inc.
The McKinney Avenue Contemporary

Other attractions in Uptown:

Major concerts & events, plus Dallas Mavericks & Dallas Stars games at American Airlines Center (2 blocks from the Ashton)
Entertainment Venue, Dallas Texas - American Airlines Center - Home Of The Mavericks and Stars

soon to be 20 mile hiking/biking trail (currently about 8 miles). Southern entrance is at the American Airlines Center
Friends of Katy Trail:

West Village development with apartments, restaurants, bars & shopping
West Village
you are complete awesomeness. I hope you didnt just type all that for me

Old 05-05-2011, 06:55 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,298,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by patotexas View Post
you are complete awesomeness. I hope you didnt just type all that for me
you're not the first person with that criteria to ever post on the forum.

I live in that area. It's great!

Old 05-05-2011, 07:02 PM

Everyone is awesome

Old 05-05-2011, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
you're not the first person with that criteria to ever post on the forum.

I live in that area. It's great!
What about some suburban areas that Aren't that boring? Asking for the husband.

Old 05-05-2011, 10:49 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,304,590 times
Uptown or Knox-Henderson in Dallas will be your best bets for what you're looking for.

Downtown is a lot more walkable than people are making it out to be. Oak Lawn is a very nice walkable area too.

Old 05-05-2011, 11:20 PM

1,487 posts, read 1,707,417 times
Dallas, is better than Cats...we'll watch it again and again and again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas