Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2011, 12:26 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,952,004 times

Advertisements

Well you have to be offered the job by the employer during an interview before you can just show up and work. lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twincam666 View Post
Check www.indeed.com there are plenty of jobs...If you're not working in DFW it's because you don't want to work....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2011, 04:21 AM

574 posts, read 1,478,728 times
It can be done, although it will depend on the type of job you are looking for.

I am a preschool teacher and about to move to Dallas. After sending 10 unsolicited resumes/cover letters to preschools within a 3-mile radius of our house, ended up interviewing with one school over the phone. Several weeks later a group interview via Skype. This week they offered me a salaried job with benefits.

There are jobs out there. If you offer something unique that can make your resume stand out, have meaningful experience and killer references you should start your search before you get there. If you are able to schedule a quick trip to Dallas, make sure you put in your cover letter when you plan to be in town to meet them. And start putting together a good list of references. My new employer called the 10 people (parents of former students and colleagues) on my list, which I had sent along with my resume.

Best of luck on your search.

Old 01-03-2013, 10:32 PM

280 posts, read 686,198 times
I read that many companies won't hire college grads/highly experienced people for minimum wage or low-paying jobs because they know that that person will leave as soon as another opportunity arises. Such companies want people who will stay with them.

Old 01-04-2013, 10:33 AM

67 posts, read 164,321 times
What kind of experience do you have? The job field here really varies by the type of work you're looking for. And "if you're not working in DFW it's because you don't want to work?" Um, that's not true at all, there are still people getting laid off every day.

Now is not the best time for retail jobs, since they'll begin laying off seasonal hires, but there are plenty of warehouse type jobs that probably pay in that range, and customer service, healthcare, etc. If you have any medical office experience, it looks like there are plenty of those jobs, but you have to stand out from a crowd of applicants. Target is opening a warehouse in Denton that will hire probably a large number of people, Chase has a large call center in Lewisville, if you having banking experience, there are many mortgage companies and insurance companies. Irving has a lot of call centers, and then the airport is a pretty big employer. Keep in mind there are several universities and community colleges, so you'll be competing with students for jobs like that. As someone else mentioned, those are some of the hardest jobs to get right now. There are many temp agencies with work in that pay range, but temp work is temporary, so you will go in one day and be told "sorry, we have no more work" and you're starting over again.

I know people who've had luck with indeed.com and found jobs they're happy with, even degreed professionals. There are several other job search sites, too. I would at least apply to a few places first and see if you get responses.

Old 01-04-2013, 10:58 AM

812 posts, read 2,184,401 times
Unemployed for 6 years. 60 years old. White male. Former VP of marketing at Fidelity, Citibank, JCPenny Insurance. Regardless of what job I apply for I never, never get a call back. Even office manager jobs which I did 6 years ago, and well. Wife is 52 and laid off 4 years ago from a Dallas bank marketing job. Tried 1 1/2 years to get any job and just gave up. She's halfway through nursing school now.

As Dylan said, "the times they be a changing".

Old 06-26-2013, 03:57 PM

2 posts, read 3,378 times
Unhappy Hard to find a job

I'm in my fifities, decided to move back to Tx. Been here since 01/2013
can't find a job, why is this?

Old 06-26-2013, 04:07 PM

581 posts, read 924,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caliash207 View Post
Im gonna be moving down soon and a previous post I had made, someone mentioned something about finding a job first before I get down there because theres not that many??? I know it might be stupid going down without a job, but im also not looking for anything special either im still finishing up school so some $10 an hour job is fine plus my husband is staying up here till I find one. So is it really that hard?

Thanks for your help!
There are gobs and gobs of jobs that pay $10.00 an hour. To be honest, most people don't consider those kinds of jobs to be jobs. But my heart will always be with those kinds of workers.
If you want a better paying job, remember that people don't like to work nights and especially over the weekend even during great depressions. And, during downturns in the economy, the best way to find a better paying job is part time. That way, when the economy improves, hopefully the job will then expand to become full time.
That is the way I've always found great paying jobs.
My major and minor in college was creative writing and philosophy respectively. So, I know what it is like to have to work at menial jobs. It takes a special kind of person to demean themselves in such a fashion. Good luck with building your castle in the air.

Old 06-26-2013, 04:14 PM

581 posts, read 924,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dolphine6 View Post
Work weekend nights in a restaurant or room service. I once got a job in room service and we made so much money that we didn't tell people how much we made. You have to seek and you will find. Try getting a job as a school bus driver. I drove a tractor trailer for eight years and then a school bus for another eight. The secret to that job is just ignoring the antics of the chitlins. Remember, for some mysterious reason, they are God's most precious cargo.

Old 06-27-2013, 09:14 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,291,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dolphine6 View Post
A lot of it is likely due to your age. There is a lot of age discrimination in employment. Could also have to do with the length of unemployment on your resume and your skill set.

Old 06-27-2013, 10:23 AM

2,516 posts, read 5,688,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caliash207 View Post
Im gonna be moving down soon and a previous post I had made, someone mentioned something about finding a job first before I get down there because theres not that many??? I know it might be stupid going down without a job, but im also not looking for anything special either im still finishing up school so some $10 an hour job is fine plus my husband is staying up here till I find one. So is it really that hard?

Thanks for your help!
Getting a job before you move here probably won't happen. Most employers are not going to higher people that are not local or can't come in an interview at the drop of a hat. That's normal. I've never had a job lined up in any of my half dozen interstate moves. If you're smart and frugal, you can make it happen.
There are jobs here, you have to look and be willing to accept something that is classified as menial. There are a ton of restaurants and bars in this area, so if you're willing to wait tables then you'll be able to find something here. Take what you can get and get some income, then look for something better. Hit up some temp agencies when you get here (Pridestaff, Appleone, etc). That is how I got my last job. It was originally 3 month temp position that turned into a fulltime permanent position that I stayed at for 3 years.
Everyone I know that is unemployed long term has been completely stubborn in waiting for a position that is comparable to their last. (Not a shot at you ggolf, these are associates I speak of, it sounds like you may be a victim of age discrimination). Make sure your resume is catered for specific fields. You wouldn't use the same resume for all positions. Have one for retail or service industry. One for clerical office type works. And one for your career/profession.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: