Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2011, 10:58 PM

2,674 posts, read 4,393,819 times

Advertisements

After a long search, my family and I are finally about to move into our home in UP.

So being a person of color this is a list of my experiences being in the 'bubble'

Neighbors are a bit nosier than I'd prefer. But I don't really need to say hello every morning.

No one seems amazed that a Black family moved in (they think my wife is white) but they all know what I do for a living.

After closing 6 weeks ago, they keep asking when we're moving in (a long story).

The neighborhood kids feel free to use the basketball hoop in front of our home w/o asking (not an east-coast move)

There's tons of kids on the block, which my daughter loves. She has kids to practice lacrosse with.

UP seems like any other suburb I've ever been to. Nice. More sense of community than some places. It's nice to see groups of young kids playing freely. But I do see where you can get it twisted and think this way of life is normal. We've got trips back to Detroit for my daughter to see how that super massive blue hole is...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2011, 02:49 AM

175 posts, read 483,021 times
OMG! A black family in UP? Really?! Wow...

Old 05-21-2011, 03:19 AM

56 posts, read 171,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ganongrey View Post
After a long search, my family and I are finally about to move into our home in UP.

So being a person of color this is a list of my experiences being in the 'bubble'

Neighbors are a bit nosier than I'd prefer. But I don't really need to say hello every morning.

No one seems amazed that a Black family moved in (they think my wife is white) but they all know what I do for a living.

After closing 6 weeks ago, they keep asking when we're moving in (a long story).

The neighborhood kids feel free to use the basketball hoop in front of our home w/o asking (not an east-coast move)

There's tons of kids on the block, which my daughter loves. She has kids to practice lacrosse with.

UP seems like any other suburb I've ever been to. Nice. More sense of community than some places. It's nice to see groups of young kids playing freely. But I do see where you can get it twisted and think this way of life is normal. We've got trips back to Detroit for my daughter to see how that super massive blue hole is...
I am confused. You say you are about to move in yet your post describes your experience living there.

Congrats on the new place either way!

Old 05-21-2011, 05:03 AM

574 posts, read 1,478,576 times
Hey...good to hear from you! Can't wait to finally move in; we arrive next Friday.

Good luck with the move (if yiu haven't already done so).

Old 05-21-2011, 06:27 AM

1,190 posts, read 2,636,065 times
Congrats on the move.

Old 05-21-2011, 10:01 AM

2,674 posts, read 4,393,819 times
We check on renovations daily. Interact with the neighbors when we're there. We spend about 1-2 hours a day there dealing with painters, pool guy, electricians, masons.

It's been uneventful. I was lead to believe it'd be a huge deal and it hasn't. Just trying to get the neglected lawn greener now and that's taking a while.

Old 05-21-2011, 01:51 PM
k_s

405 posts, read 896,637 times
I opened this thinking you were going to ask if there were any HBCUs in the UP/HP area.

Old 05-21-2011, 02:38 PM

2,256 posts, read 9,762,286 times
What does "HBCU" stand for?

Old 05-21-2011, 06:42 PM

1,637 posts, read 4,105,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spree View Post
What does "HBCU" stand for?
Historically Black Colleges and Universities

Old 05-21-2011, 08:51 PM

2,299 posts, read 4,826,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k_s View Post
I opened this thinking you were going to ask if there were any HBCUs in the UP/HP area.
Yea, me too! GG, what did you mean by your subject line? Is there an Historically Black College in UP, or did you or your spouse attend one? Inquiring minds want to know!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas