Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2007, 01:20 PM

443 posts, read 1,566,769 times

Advertisements

As was mentioned earlier, there was snow leftover in my backyard in Collin County in 2004 from an event that took place a couple of days before christmas. Thats the only time I can think of close to Christmas where there was any snow on the ground.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2007, 02:42 AM

116 posts, read 429,455 times
I saw the snow of 2004 on Christmas Eve in Victoria,TX. Crazy stuff.
It was a foot deep, there were cars wrecked on the side of the road everywhere. There was so much snow it helped keep the temp down as well, the high was only like 32, it didnt melt for a few days. Christmas isn't usually when it snows in Texas, it usually snows in Jan or Feb as people have said. December is a bit dryer.

If you live in Dallas and want to see snow on Christmas, best to spend Christmas at a Ski Resort in NM or CO...

I live north of Austin, and it snows near here just about every year. It may not snow right here, but usually within 100 miles there is some place that gets snow. The last few years it has been snowing almost every year a little, but mostly sleet and ice.

You could drive to the Ouachita mountains in Oklahoma which are about 3.5 hours away from Dallas, but better check your weather forecast, because there isn't usually snow there either (but sometimes there is at the very top). I think they close the roads though even if it snows 1 inch.

Old 11-15-2007, 10:56 AM

58 posts, read 222,071 times
I have seen it sleet/snow a few times here in Dallas. It's usually in late Jan/early February, though. And it's not a beautiful, thick snow like you would see in Colorado or other northerly locations. It's just a small sprinkle. It's fun for the kiddos, though.The whole city grinds to a halt, no one goes to work nor does anyone go to school.
Victoire

Old 11-15-2007, 10:57 AM

670 posts, read 2,998,816 times
The only snow close to Christmas I remember was December 1997 and coming at that time from New Orleans area that seemed huge LOL.

Old 11-15-2007, 11:00 AM

686 posts, read 2,436,444 times
Unfortuantely we get more sleet/ice than snow. Snow is much easier to drive on than ice. Mid December through mid February is usually when we get that type of weather. Although it did snow last April around Easter. Usually when it's cold enough for snow there isn't enough moisture for it to happen, which is why it's nearly impossible for the weather forecasters around here to get it right when forecasting snow/ice.

Old 11-15-2007, 11:19 AM

1,298 posts, read 4,286,773 times
I remember one year it snowed on my birthday, Nov. 14. Years ago, when I was alot younger, some girlfriends and I went out clubbing in celebration and when we walked out of the club late at night it was snowing! I considered it a birthday present from the heavens!

Old 11-16-2007, 04:14 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,869,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueskies49 View Post
I remember one year it snowed on my birthday, Nov. 14. Years ago, when I was alot younger, some girlfriends and I went out clubbing in celebration and when we walked out of the club late at night it was snowing! I considered it a birthday present from the heavens!
I remember two New Years Eve's that it has iced pretty good. One had a good amount of snow w/ it and that was in 84/85. The last one was around 2000/2001???? That one had a TON of ice w/ it and it was really bad. We went to the hockey game that night (Dallas Stars always have a New Years Eve game) and went in hubbies pickup because of the bad weather. We helped several people out on the way back home that night.

I actually like that the weather is nice on Christmas so that if the kids get new bikes from Santa they can go out and ride them.

Old 11-16-2007, 05:49 PM

1,528 posts, read 6,288,872 times
IT occasionally snows, I hate it when its sunny on Christmas... It makes me feel better hen it at least is cloudy. It snows on Christmas based on my experience ever like 15 years or so... Last year it snowed on like the last day of November.... But snow season is more of January and February.

Old 11-17-2007, 03:23 AM

7 posts, read 51,878 times
If you have never lived in a cold part of the world, you may need to find out what you need to do to protect your home's water pipes in the winter. Sometimes in the winter there it can be cold enough to freeze outdoor water pipes and sometimes even the pipes under your house especially if it gets down to in the teens (happens, but not often). I always checked the weather forecasts when I lived in Texas. Try to drive out and enjoy the wildflowers in the spring. Well worth it. You have to watch for the snow. It is very quiet if it happens. With the rain you hear it, but not the snow. I always used to keep at least one window with the curtains pulled back if chance of snow was forecast, just to be able to watch for it.

Old 11-18-2007, 05:42 AM

96 posts, read 315,217 times
This will be our first Christmas in Texas. I'm praying for snow/ice or rain anything but the 85 degrees Christmas' in CA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas