Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 03:30 PM

6 posts, read 9,250 times

Advertisements

can i network on this forum too?

i wrote on my previous thread that my husband has been looking for a job in dallas and he hasn't found anything yet.

here is the thread://www.city-data.com/forum/dalla...ce-please.html

(i'm doing this for him cause i work part time btw but we read the responses together)

so here it goes, who knows anyone or a company that is willing to hire an MBA grad, currently working in finance; operations , 4 years exp ?

please send a pm

thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2011, 04:50 PM
k_s

405 posts, read 896,351 times
What about your husband's alma mater? Or your alma mater? Or previous co-workers?

These are the people you should be reaching out to. People on the internet may not be as willing to put their reputations on the line for a nameless, faceless username.

Last edited by k_s; 06-01-2011 at 05:01 PM..

Old 06-01-2011, 04:56 PM

2,394 posts, read 8,594,433 times
Networking =! cold calling, which is really what an internet forum would be. Work your existing relationships, have them lead to new relationships. That's what networking is all about.

Old 06-01-2011, 06:30 PM

621 posts, read 1,332,821 times
Where are you currently located? If you're in DFW what are his salary requirements?
Have you tried www.indeed.com or Texas Worforce Commission?

There are jobs, but what he wants and needs matters too....

Old 06-01-2011, 07:20 PM

11,853 posts, read 26,861,548 times
Networking is about talking to people and finding openings through warm referrals. Professional organizations, etc. Texas Workforce is not going to have what he is looking for.

Career Management & Networking Organization - CareerConnection This organization has some excellent connections!

Old 06-01-2011, 07:53 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,844,229 times
does he have account on linkedin--that seems to be site for lot of go-to networking
and agree alumni assoc would be lead
all your relatives would be people to contact

this is voluntary move if I remember correctly--neither of you has job on offer here--
you just want to move--

sometimes that is not the best choice

maybe he needs to get with headhunter and do job search that way

Old 06-01-2011, 07:59 PM

and this is basically the info that you got on the other thread--
and the link about the career networking is in DFW--not going to do him any good being out of state really

what has your husband done to churn up some leads--
were there any companies interviewing at UM when he was there--
has he joined any professional organizations related to Finance, MBA or CPA--
has he been to any meetings/mixers?

Old 06-01-2011, 08:00 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,459,410 times
Did he check with Bank of America, Chase, Bank of New York and Wells Fargo? They all have operations here. I don't mean their branches, but offices.

Old 06-01-2011, 08:03 PM

and by networking--do you expect someone on this forum to find your husband an interview w/o any personal knowledge of his ability?

if you want to network--go to the work forum on CD and ask some specific questions about networking and getting job being out of state--those people are much more involved in that process than people posting here really
//www.city-data.com/forum/work-employment/

these are the listings in DFW region on TX Workforce under FINANCE--very general--so some won't work
https://wit.twc.state.tx.us/WORKINTE..._BROWSE_SEARCH
but these are ALL real jobs posted by companies in the DFW area

these are the ones that came up with CPA as the search
https://wit.twc.state.tx.us/WORKINTE..._BROWSE_SEARCH

some of these are looking for specific skill sets--not just general degree--
and lots of people in Finance are really in sales for companies that want to manage your money--they are account managers that basically bring in new clients
as I said before and your husband would not have any ability to do that because there is no pool in this area he could draw from--like someone who was just changing companies locally

Old 06-01-2011, 08:33 PM

307 posts, read 1,097,128 times
Try these two things.

#1. Rent a mailbox at UPS Store. This gives the appearance of a local physical address.

#2. Get a Google Voice number with a DFW area code. Forward this to your cell phone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas