Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2016, 03:02 PM

111 posts, read 224,154 times

Advertisements

Hello:

I just purchased a home and the lawn needs some work.
It has 2 different types of grass that I can tell, and some wonderful crabgrass (sigh).
What is your best guess of these 2?
Just got the irrigation system fixed, so they will be getting a regular watering.....
Thank you!
Attached Thumbnails
What kind of Lawn grass is this?-fullsizerender-64-.jpg   What kind of Lawn grass is this?-img_8747.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2016, 03:09 PM

19,801 posts, read 18,099,591 times
Saint Augustine

Old 08-12-2016, 03:11 PM

111 posts, read 224,154 times
Thank you, both or just the second picture?

Old 08-12-2016, 03:14 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,816,702 times
First picture looks like basic Bermuda. It's a weed grass that takes little water. St. Augustine takes a lot of water.

Old 08-12-2016, 03:23 PM

5,265 posts, read 6,409,031 times
Quote:
First picture looks like basic Bermuda. It's a weed grass that takes little water. St. Augustine takes a lot of water.
I have st augustine and haven't found the water requirements between bermuda and St Augustine to be different at all. In fact, I tried to get rid of my St Augustine by replacing it with bermuda in areas I had major dirt work done, and the existing St Augustine has almost completely overtaken the new Bermuda. I don't find St Augustine to be good grass at all, but it does well in TX on just rain once established. It's not comfortable to walk on without shoes and doesn't take traffic at all -if you regularly walk on it you will get cow paths.

The only positive aspects of it in my opinion is that it is a low grower and stays green in drought conditions, like every August.

Old 08-12-2016, 03:36 PM

92 posts, read 113,043 times
1st pic looks like Bermuda, 2nd is St. Augustine.

some key differences:
- st augustine is more shade tolerant, so it can grow in partially shaded areas (4 hours of direct sun a day)
- bermuda needs full sun (at least 8 hrs a day) or it'll slowly thin out
- bermuda likes to be mowed lower. when mowed low, it'll grow more dense
- bermuda has a higher fertilization requirement (1lb of nitrogen per 1K sq ft per month during the summer).

Old 08-13-2016, 09:49 AM

2,353 posts, read 3,864,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOverdog View Post
I have st augustine and haven't found the water requirements between bermuda and St Augustine to be different at all. In fact, I tried to get rid of my St Augustine by replacing it with bermuda in areas I had major dirt work done, and the existing St Augustine has almost completely overtaken the new Bermuda. I don't find St Augustine to be good grass at all, but it does well in TX on just rain once established. It's not comfortable to walk on without shoes and doesn't take traffic at all -if you regularly walk on it you will get cow paths.

The only positive aspects of it in my opinion is that it is a low grower and stays green in drought conditions, like every August.
Now see, I love St. Augustine grass. Can't stand to walk on bermuda without shoes, but i find St. Augustine to be soft on bare feet. It doesn't need mowing quite as much either.

Different strokes for different folks.

Old 08-13-2016, 10:15 AM

19,801 posts, read 18,099,591 times
I couldn't get the first pic to open yesterday and assumed it was Saint Augustine since the second pic is clearly Saint Augustine.

The first pic is definitely thinned out Bermuda grass of some type.

I agree with Overdog. I've had both and Saint Augustine does not require more water to keep looking decent. It may be that if allowed to brown and thin Bermuda will require less water to keep the roots alive until the next year but IMO I'll take a Saint Augustine yard over Bermuda every time.

Old 08-14-2016, 08:36 AM

6,823 posts, read 14,039,451 times
If you have St Augustine and Bermuda grass in your yard the St Augustine will takeover the Bermuda grass. I had a Bermuda yard while neighbors on each side of me have St Augustine. It took 3 years but I now have a St Augustine lawn.

Old 08-14-2016, 01:05 PM

1,167 posts, read 1,817,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconheadWest View Post
100% disagree. Bermuda requires a lot of water during hot months. Same if not more than every other type
Quote:
Originally Posted by DitsyD View Post
Now see, I love St. Augustine grass. Can't stand to walk on bermuda without shoes, but i find St. Augustine to be soft on bare feet. It doesn't need mowing quite as much either.

Different strokes for different folks.
really? lol me (like other people here) completely disagree with you...bermuda so much easier to walk on
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: