Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2016, 11:01 AM

1 posts, read 1,612 times

Advertisements

hi i am interested in moving to the dallas area and would like to keep my kids in catholic schools if possible i have 3 kids that will be in elementary school i am not sure what the best area to look would be i would like a house on at least 1?4 acre lot under $450000 i am open to areas as i will be working from home any advice would be great also is it possible to live on or near a lake sorry so many questions i am just totally overwhelmed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2016, 11:27 AM

11,853 posts, read 26,854,435 times
Based on your wants, I would say Rockwall. I'm not certain about the catholic school, though.

Old 08-18-2016, 01:47 PM

275 posts, read 469,602 times
There are not a ton of Catholic schools here. You may want to go to the diocese of Dallas website. They may list them there. Or at least I would think they would list the Catholic schools in the area

Old 08-18-2016, 02:16 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,282,852 times
Bishop Dunne is a good Catholic school that is in Duncanville, I think. You could live next door in Cedar Hill near Joe Pool Lake. These are southern suburbs.

You could also look in 75229 or 75244 which are residential neighborhoods in northwest Dallas. Three of the top Catholic grade schools are nearby (St Rita, St Monica, Christ the King), as are the top high schools, Ursuline and Jesuit. Cisterican is an excellent 5-12 boys school that runs a bus from these neighborhoods to the school in Irving. No lake nearby, but tons of Catholic families live in that area.

There are also several Catholic schools around White Rock Lake in east Dallas. St Thomas Aquinas is the grade school and Bishop Lynch is the coed high school. There are also some smaller Catholic schools like St Patrick's in Lake Highlands north of the lake. $450k will be a more challenging budget in this area. Zips are 75214, 75223, 75238, 75218. White Rock is not a motorboat or swimming lake, FYI.

Old 08-18-2016, 02:50 PM

1,429 posts, read 1,776,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
Bishop Dunne is a good Catholic school that is in Duncanville, I think. You could live next door in Cedar Hill near Joe Pool Lake. These are southern suburbs.

You could also look in 75229 or 75244 which are residential neighborhoods in northwest Dallas. Three of the top Catholic grade schools are nearby (St Rita, St Monica, Christ the King), as are the top high schools, Ursuline and Jesuit. Cisterican is an excellent 5-12 boys school that runs a bus from these neighborhoods to the school in Irving. No lake nearby, but tons of Catholic families live in that area.

There are also several Catholic schools around White Rock Lake in east Dallas. St Thomas Aquinas is the grade school and Bishop Lynch is the coed high school. There are also some smaller Catholic schools like St Patrick's in Lake Highlands north of the lake. $450k will be a more challenging budget in this area. Zips are 75214, 75223, 75238, 75218. White Rock is not a motorboat or swimming lake, FYI.
If you choose to live south, there are feeder schools in Oak Cliff that people tend to use before sending kids to Bishop Dunne. Mt St Michael's and St Elizabeth's are the two where I know families (St Elizabeth's is far enough south to be a reasonable commute from somewhere like Cedar Hill, MTSM maybe a bit of a commute). The families I know like them because they are very Catholic and they live nearby. As a non-Catholic, if I chose to send my kids to Catholic schools for the good education, I'd do one of the North Dallas schools TC80 mentioned, or St Thomas Aquinas in E Dallas, for what it's worth.

Old 08-18-2016, 04:13 PM

712 posts, read 841,177 times
http://catholicschooldenton.org/ = good catholic elementary in DENTON texas, which is close/nearby to Lake Lewisville; large lot acreage homes very affordable in the area- - maybe even try Shady Shores, Texas - wonderful community near to lake and that school - EASY to find a nice home with MATURE trees and 1/3 or bigger lots in WHOLE community ; safe / north side of metroplex - great for raising kiddos!

our house 3500 ft on 2 acres just went under contract for under $420k !

Old 08-18-2016, 04:14 PM

2,353 posts, read 3,860,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post

Bishop Dunne is a 6-12 school, located in Oak Cliff, near Hampton & Ledbetter. Very near St. Elizabeth of Hungary Catholic church and school.

Because there are so few Catholic schools in this area, you might find a waiting list for enrollment.

Good Luck on your decision and possible move.

Old 08-19-2016, 06:59 AM

712 posts, read 841,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldoak2000 View Post
Immaculate Conception Catholic School | Denton, TX = good catholic elementary in DENTON texas, which is close/nearby to Lake Lewisville; large lot acreage homes very affordable in the area- - maybe even try Shady Shores, Texas - wonderful community near to lake and that school - EASY to find a nice home with MATURE trees and 1/3 or bigger lots in WHOLE community ; safe / north side of metroplex - great for raising kiddos!

our house 3500 ft on 2 acres just went under contract for under $420k !

Moderator cut: can only cite realtor.com

Also, since you work from home, I assume you need high-speed internet? Cable modem & DSL are available at all the above, as well as possibly fios, etc.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 08-19-2016 at 08:19 AM..

Old 08-19-2016, 08:24 AM

1,429 posts, read 1,776,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DitsyD View Post
Bishop Dunne is a 6-12 school, located in Oak Cliff, near Hampton & Ledbetter. Very near St. Elizabeth of Hungary Catholic church and school.

Because there are so few Catholic schools in this area, you might find a waiting list for enrollment.

Good Luck on your decision and possible move.
I'd guess less than a dozen Catholic schools are completely full at all elementary levels, though obviously the ones that are full are typically considered the most academically rigorous.

Old 08-19-2016, 12:07 PM

2,353 posts, read 3,860,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by numbersguy100 View Post
I'd guess less than a dozen Catholic schools are completely full at all elementary levels, though obviously the ones that are full are typically considered the most academically rigorous.
There are 17 Catholic elementary schools in Dallas, so that would be almost 2/3 of them.
The 12 others in the Diocese are as far flung as Corsicana and Sherman. I have no idea about their enrollment. I'm pretty sure that Plano and Richardson schools are wait-listed though.

The Catholic elementary schools in Dallas, and the Dallas Diocese.
Elementary : Catholic Schools in the Diocese of Dallas
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: