Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2011, 10:43 AM

702 posts, read 2,723,676 times

Advertisements

El Ranchito on Jefferson in Oak Cliff is as good as it gets. It's also very festive with their mariachis. It reminds me of a restaurant I ate at in Mexico City.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2011, 11:15 AM

1,631 posts, read 4,225,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazyn View Post
I haven't been to many real mexican restaurants since I moved here a few months back. I live in Addison (close to it anyway) but we pretty much stick to AnaMia's, El Fenix, or Los Cucos (which I have not enjoyed the past 2 times we went). We are creatures of habit, the girl and I, so it's kind of hard to find new things to enjoy :P
Please tell me you don't live in the Reserve apartments...

We lived over there and ate at El Fenix a few times... meh. As far as authentic mex, I haven't ventured out too much for it. We tried La Picosa on Spring Valley and Montfort and had meat that tasted a lot like dishsoap... can't explain it. But this guy I know did a taco tour and blogged about it so I may try some of the places on his list if I ever head out that way.

Old 06-24-2011, 11:55 AM

617 posts, read 1,042,036 times
Mesa, just opened on Jefferson Blvd. in Oak Cliff, has been getting very strong reviews (I haven't been yet).

Chowhound thread: Mesa (Dallas) Review - Dallas - Ft. Worth - Chowhound

Oak Cliff Advocate: Restaurant talk: Mesa | Advocate Magazine

Menus: Mesa Restaurant: Veracruz Coastal Cuisine » Menus (http://mesadallas.com/menus/ - broken link)

Old 06-24-2011, 12:40 PM

2,973 posts, read 9,482,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Benjamin View Post
Mesa, just opened on Jefferson Blvd. in Oak Cliff, has been getting very strong reviews (I haven't been yet).

Chowhound thread: Mesa (Dallas) Review - Dallas - Ft. Worth - Chowhound

Oak Cliff Advocate: Restaurant talk: Mesa | Advocate Magazine

Menus: Mesa Restaurant: Veracruz Coastal Cuisine » Menus (http://mesadallas.com/menus/ - broken link)
I've been wanting to try Mesa. Heard it is GREAT!!! Only open for dinner.

Old 06-24-2011, 01:33 PM

3,020 posts, read 8,615,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moorhen3 View Post
I'm from Mexico but over here in my little corner of Dallas county, would probably be too far for you to come. But either way, although it is not a restaurant, there is a place that I love to go to because every time I step foot in there I feel like I'm back in Mexico. Even my Spanish comes out automatically just cause I feel like I'm really in Mexico. Anyway, it is El Rio Grande grocery store: Tiendas | El Rio Grande Supermerado Encuentra las siete localidade en Dallas Fort Worth (http://elriograndesupermercado.com/pagina/tiendas/tiendas.html - broken link)
The store I go to in Garland, has a place where they cook food, like restaurant style, but the food is definitely very Mexican. I love the fruit drinks which are also very Mexican and they also have pastries also very Mexican. Anybody interested in Mexican food should go there in my opinion. For me, it is very dangerous to go cause they have so much of the good things I remember from Mexico.
I want to thank you for that link. I've wondered where to get some authentic Mexican groceries and certain types of meats and other items for a good meal at home. Been watching too much "Mexico, One Plate at a Time" on Channel 13. Hopefully, they speak English in there, since my Spanish is not too great.

Old 06-24-2011, 01:44 PM

1,518 posts, read 5,269,990 times
Mexican that isn't Tex-Mex? That's like non-alcoholic beer. What's the point?

Old 06-24-2011, 01:52 PM

509 posts, read 1,262,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ETex2 View Post
I want to thank you for that link. I've wondered where to get some authentic Mexican groceries and certain types of meats and other items for a good meal at home. Been watching too much "Mexico, One Plate at a Time" on Channel 13. Hopefully, they speak English in there, since my Spanish is not too great.
The one with Rick Bayless, right? LOVE that show!! He makes it look so easy and really delicious. Yeah, for the most part I think you'll find any of the ingredients you might want. But you might want to ask someone who looks like a manager, for whatever question you might have. Cause say you are at the meat counter and you want to ask this or that, the person behind might not be able to answer. But if you ask the manager if there are people behind the meat or cheese counter who speak English, then you can confidently ask your question once you know who can speak English.

Side note: if anyone has NOT tasted the typical fresh fruit drinks that are so common in Mexican markets then I would say that when you (anyone in general) goes there that they should definitely try one. They'll give you samples. There is watermelon, cantaloupe, mango, pineapple, orchata, and maybe one or two others I can't remember.

Old 06-25-2011, 07:45 AM

621 posts, read 1,333,363 times
Just don't do Chuys Yukk

Old 06-25-2011, 08:42 AM

2,169 posts, read 5,171,745 times
Veracruz Cafe in the Bishop Arts District and Cedar Hill. It's Mexican cuisine from the Gulf Coast side of Mexico. Tasty.

Veracruz Cafe - Mesoamerican, Mayan, Huasteco & Aztec Cuisine

Old 06-25-2011, 01:26 PM

2,110 posts, read 6,465,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twincam666 View Post
Just don't do Chuys Yukk
i love chuys yuuuum
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas