Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2011, 08:23 AM

2,348 posts, read 4,819,207 times

Advertisements

set back requirements aren't usually an HOA thing, it's a city zoning requirement. Contact the building inspector or whatever official has the jurisdiction over this. City rules would typically supersede your HOA rules.

Sounds like your HOA is basically useless or just has generally ambivalent people making decisions. I would hold them to task by first making sure they aren't in compliance with a rules on the books and there weren't any Variances issued for this home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2011, 08:27 AM

3,020 posts, read 8,616,828 times
If the construction is over an easement or in violation of setbacks, city rules have been broken, not just HOA rules.

That said, the OP perfectly demonstrates the HOA mentality - making someone else's business your business. Good luck.

Old 07-07-2011, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETex2 View Post
If the construction is over an easement or in violation of setbacks, city rules have been broken, not just HOA rules.

That said, the OP perfectly demonstrates the HOA mentality - making someone else's business your business. Good luck.

Anyone who knowingly moves into an HOA should understand this is the way it works and some people like the protections an HOA offers. Personally I would be miffed at this too if it threw off how the neighborhood looked or better yet violated codes or rules of any sort.

Given the chance some people will do the hell they want to do if there aren't rules. Take for example my neighborhood where our beautiful entryway is cluttered with several For Sale signs for homes-instead of just one sign that says homes for sale. It looks like sh*t and if there were an HOA to have a rule it wouldn't look like sh*t. Or how about the douche bag that paints his house purple or leaves a trailer filled with debris in plain view for all everyone else to look at. Enough said..

The HOA argument is tired and useless really. HOA or not people in neighborhoods are nosey and make others business their own anyway, so moot point..Where HOAs work well they are effective in doing exactly what they set out to do which is maintain property values and we all want that. Just need someone with half a brain making decisions, which is too often is not the case.

Old 07-07-2011, 08:42 AM

5,760 posts, read 11,548,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lh_newbie View Post

Snap a couple pictures from the street so we can see what you're talking about, that might help.
But please warn us in advance.

So we can put on sunglasses, or some sort of eye protection, yunno.

The reported level of sheer ugly involved might make us want to claw our freakin' eyeballs out.

Safety First.

Old 07-07-2011, 11:39 AM

38 posts, read 135,722 times
It seems that you just don't like the way they designed their house. If they are within the code and zoning why should it matter how they design the house. And I think a HOA mandating a flower bed is rather silly what if the person is allergic to flowers or just doesn't want them. I mean why should you force someone to make their house look just like yours diversity is a wonderful thing.

Old 07-07-2011, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorge Fontan View Post
It seems that you just don't like the way they designed their house. If they are within the code and zoning why should it matter how they design the house. And I think a HOA mandating a flower bed is rather silly what if the person is allergic to flowers or just doesn't want them. I mean why should you force someone to make their house look just like yours diversity is a wonderful thing.
I think the OP mentioned it might be out of compliance with zoning..And who the hell is allergic to flowers enough that they should be prohibited? Gimme a break..Quite honestly, that sounds like the exact same mentality you seem to take issue with HOAs.

The simple is answer is as follows: The homeowner agreed to abide by HOA rules when they signed into a neighborhood with an HOA.

And the word "diversity" is overused and overrated, not to mention having an HOA has NOTHING to do with limiting diversity.

Old 07-07-2011, 12:32 PM

3,478 posts, read 6,559,658 times
I want to see pics!

Old 07-07-2011, 12:54 PM

827 posts, read 1,672,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skids929 View Post
I .And who the hell is allergic to flowers enough that they should be prohibited?
You'd be surprised how many are. I have a niece who is very allergic to em and must stay in during high pollen days

As for the dictatorship called an HOA I never liked having some [think I'm better muckymuck] tell me what color my house needs to be or what I can do with the property I paid for and pay taxes on and pay for the upkeep on.

Old 07-07-2011, 01:56 PM

325 posts, read 757,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxCar Willie View Post
You'd be surprised how many are. I have a niece who is very allergic to em and must stay in during high pollen days

As for the dictatorship called an HOA I never liked having some [think I'm better muckymuck] tell me what color my house needs to be or what I can do with the property I paid for and pay taxes on and pay for the upkeep on.
Common sense should dictate much of what's reasonable. If you try to paint your house bright purple? Yeah, I'm going to be ticked living next to that (and yes, I have seen that in a neighborhood in the Philly suburbs near a townhouse I used to live in). But if you want to plant a flower bed, as long as it's not poison oak, or it's not on my property, fine with me...

Old 07-07-2011, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxCar Willie View Post

I am hideously allergic to tree pollen in the month of May and MA is COVERED in trees..I take Claritan which allows me to survive that month and suffer through whatever Claritan doesn't help with.

I still love flowers and trees, and would prefer to be surrounded by those over dumb neighbors. Like I said HOA or not it is still possible for a neighbor to tell you what to do if it is not reasonable through zoning rules regardless of whether you pay taxes and it's yours. You still share space with others and HOAs, when well run, can help keep stupid people (which are usually plentiful in supply) in order.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: