Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2011, 12:16 PM

286 posts, read 406,801 times

Advertisements

With artist like "Blind" Lemon Jefferson, T-Bone Walker and "Stevie Ray" Vaughn being from Dallas it makes no sense that those icons are not embraced like they should be in this city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2011, 12:46 PM

2,169 posts, read 5,171,745 times
Very true. And don't forget Robert Johnson recording here and all the Texas swing that came out of and through here.

It's a shame that Deep Ellum is not as well-known as, say, Beale Street in Memphis or Bourbon Street in New Orleans. There was talk of a Texas Music Hall of Fame in either Fair Park or Deep Ellum at one time but don't know whatever happened with that.

There are books on the topic, like Alan B. Govenar's "Deep Ellum and Central Track," that really put the area's importance into perspective and explode the myth that this area has no history.

Old 07-10-2011, 01:03 PM

286 posts, read 406,801 times
When I hear people say Dallas has no identity I chuckle. How soon people forget that Dallas use to be a hot bed for blues artist. Deep Ellum used to be like Beale Street before the city tried to make it corporate friendly. Hopefully one day soon Dallas will pay homage to those legends like they deserve.

Old 07-10-2011, 04:26 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curtbr72 View Post
When I hear people say Dallas has no identity I chuckle. How soon people forget that Dallas use to be a hot bed for blues artist. Deep Ellum used to be like Beale Street before the city tried to make it corporate friendly. Hopefully one day soon Dallas will pay homage to those legends like they deserve.
This.

Old 07-10-2011, 06:41 PM

2,348 posts, read 4,818,617 times
Did they ever have Juke Joints in Dallas or the area in general? Like the ones Kimbrough used to play? Sadly when I think of Texas and music I think of Willie Nelson and Waylon Jennings, both of whom I love. Just never thought of it as a bluesy place..

I am glad to hear there is a culture like this there, I am a big Jazz and blues fan. Been listening to the Black Keys for years as well, now they've really taken off. Chulahoma is an excellent tribute to Kimbrough.

Old 07-10-2011, 07:21 PM

2,346 posts, read 6,927,150 times
I agree. My son briefly learned about Stevie Ray Vaughn and Robert Johnson in his Texas History class last year, which means he knows more about the role of Dallas in blues than 90% of the people in DFW. Sad.

Mike Rhyner from The Ticket once told a story about how his band auditioned a very young Stevie Ray, then rejected him because he didn't know enough covers.

Old 07-10-2011, 07:57 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,869,570 times
new history book adoption probably won't have those names in listed
bet the teacher did that on his/her own

Old 07-10-2011, 09:25 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skids929 View Post
Did they ever have Juke Joints in Dallas or the area in general? Like the ones Kimbrough used to play? Sadly when I think of Texas and music I think of Willie Nelson and Waylon Jennings, both of whom I love. Just never thought of it as a bluesy place..

I am glad to hear there is a culture like this there, I am a big Jazz and blues fan. Been listening to the Black Keys for years as well, now they've really taken off. Chulahoma is an excellent tribute to Kimbrough.
I don't think something like that would have been high up on a realtor's agenda when conducting a whirlwind tour of Lewisville, Flower Mound, Frisco, and McKinney. Sorry, couldn't resist.

Old 07-10-2011, 09:27 PM

1,533 posts, read 7,240,297 times
When transplants out number natives a place is bound to lose it's history, culture, and identity,

Old 07-10-2011, 09:27 PM

2,346 posts, read 6,927,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
new history book adoption probably won't have those names in listed
bet the teacher did that on his/her own
Maybe they'll have Lee Atwater listed as a great blues musician.

--

As I posted a few months back on another thread, his teacher ignored the state-issued book for 75% of the class (that is, except for a week or so before each mandated test) and taught what SHE thought was important.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas