Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 02:14 PM

113 posts, read 257,655 times

Advertisements

My parents are in their late 60s. They just moved into the Plano/Allen neighborhood and I'm looking to sign them up for some activities, such as table tennis, English classes (they're Chinese), bingo, etc.

I noticed that a lot of the activities around here are hosted by churches (Methodists, LDS, Baptists, etc). My parents aren't anti-religious or anything, but they're not into organized religion and they're probably too old to change.

Would it be weird for my parents to sign up for those church sponsored activities? Will people be constantly trying to convert them? More importantly, are we being extremely rude for taking part in church activities without being religious or having any intention of learning more about religion?

Are some religions more accepting of atheist participation in their activities than others?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2011, 02:49 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,811,238 times
For many of the church functions, religion isn't even brought up, so I wouldn't worry about it. If it's Bingo, those "old ladies" want to start (yes, it's a generalization as they aren't all old ladies).

Another thought is to look into the recreation centers or senior centers in the area. Richardson's Senior Center on Arapaho has a lot of activities and you don't have to be a senior to attend. I learned sign language there when I was 30. Plano has the big rec center at Jupiter and SpringCreek and a couple of others.

Old 07-12-2011, 02:52 PM

8,734 posts, read 13,819,909 times
Not a problem.

Old 07-12-2011, 02:58 PM

1,282 posts, read 3,557,784 times
What activities are you specifically referring to? There are plenty of area events going on not sponsored by churches. Both the city of Plano and city of Allen have great city rec programs that offer a wide number of activities...including those aimed at seniors. I'd start there. Summer sessions will already be in full swing...but the fall calendars should come out soon. Sign up early to be sure to get a spot.

Here's a link to Allen's park and rec. Click on the Summer Park and Rec guide to see what activities and classes are offered now.
City of Allen :: Parks & Recreation (http://www.cityofallen.org/departments/parks_recreation/ - broken link)

And here's the one for Plano. CLick on the Leisure Guide link.
City of Plano - Home (http://www.plano.gov/Departments/ParksAndRecreation/Pages/default.aspx - broken link)

The city libraries often host classes and activities too, and also usually have bulletin boards for people to post about other activities in the area.

Old 07-12-2011, 03:05 PM

1,008 posts, read 2,460,702 times
Going to a Chinese church in DFW, I would consider them a minority if they actually believed in God, read or understood the Bible, etc. Most people are there just to socialize with other Chinese people. Although a noticeable number are there to exploit their Chineseness to do things like sell real estate, insurance, cars, cosmetics, vitamins, etc.

Old 07-12-2011, 03:13 PM

1,518 posts, read 5,269,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by c2002 View Post
My parents are in their late 60s. They just moved into the Plano/Allen neighborhood and I'm looking to sign them up for some activities, such as table tennis, English classes (they're Chinese), bingo, etc.

I noticed that a lot of the activities around here are hosted by churches (Methodists, LDS, Baptists, etc). My parents aren't anti-religious or anything, but they're not into organized religion and they're probably too old to change.

Would it be weird for my parents to sign up for those church sponsored activities? Will people be constantly trying to convert them? More importantly, are we being extremely rude for taking part in church activities without being religious or having any intention of learning more about religion?

Are some religions more accepting of atheist participation in their activities than others?
Like others have said, it's rare for religion to even be discussed at those activities. It's usually just about the table tennis, English classes or bingo. They just so happen to take place in a church building.

I wouldn't necessarily advertise that they are atheists. But that should be obvious from a common-sense perspective.

Old 07-12-2011, 04:24 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,298,950 times
1. It's never too late for someone's heart to change. My friend's 86 year-old grandfather (a die-hard athiest) just became a Christian earlier this year.

2. Many churches sponsor activities that are non-religious by nature so your parents would be absoulutely welcome to attend and not be pressured/ evangelized to / etc. Not pushing this particular church (HPUMC) but just showing the wide variety of programs they offer adults:
HPUMC - Adult Ministry (http://www.hpumc.org/pages/09_adult_special_events - broken link)

Day Trip to Ham's Peach Orchard in Terrell. $10 + cost of lunch.

Speaker/ Book Club Series - speakers this summer include Robert Casey ("Special Agent in Charge of FBI Dallas"), Alan Love (Director of Bush Presidential Library), Mary Karr Handley (The Girls with the Grandmother Faces), Robert Clover Brown (The Shakespeare Man). Dinner & book review for $10 each.

Some events on the fall calendar are:
-Touring the Genghis Kahn exibit
-Senior Follies
-Texas State Fair trip
-Forum on Estate Planning
-Kimball Museum tour (Fort Worth)
-Christmas trip to Branson, MO
-Thanksgiving Luncheon
-Hico Dublin Dr Pepper Plant trip
-Oklahomas Motzart Festival trip

Additionally, HPPC offers music lessons (piano, voice, organ, oboe), sports & fitness classes (yoga, aerobics, zumba, stretch & strengthen), has an extensive free library with both religious and secular books and magazines, etc.

Old 07-12-2011, 04:41 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,877,627 times
No, it would not be tacky at all. That is the reason most churches host such events. To be a part of the community. All of these Fall Festivals, Easter Egg Hunts, VBS (Vacation Bible School), gym classes and mens basketball games, open gyms, ladies retreats, Upwards youth sports programs, Craft Shows, Car Shows, etc are for the church to be involved and a part of the community. They are there to serve the community and it's not always just on Sunday morning for a sermon.

I'm sure they will probably meet one person that might ask them where they go to church and might invite them. However, I'd be willing to bet that most of the people participating in these events are not even members of that church nor attend it or any church.

Old 07-13-2011, 07:20 AM

621 posts, read 1,333,363 times
This is my experience only. But I am Catholic raised, but only go to Church for Wedding and Funerals.

I have noticed some people in Texas try pushing religion on others, especially the older folks....But it's not a problem really........

Old 07-14-2011, 04:23 PM

113 posts, read 257,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconheadWest View Post
For many of the church functions, religion isn't even brought up.
That's really great to know. It is really refreshing to see organizations building community bonds without expecting anything in return. I love it here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanTerra View Post
Not a problem.
Another vote for awesomeness of churches here. Great to know!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanoGirl View Post
What activities are you specifically referring to?

The city libraries often host classes and activities too, and also usually have bulletin boards for people to post about other activities in the area.
The activities I'm most interested in are the English classes (ESL) and table tennis. Allen library does not offer ESL classes. Plano's does, but they don't have them during the summer. I've tried calling Richardson's library, but after leaving a message no one has called me back.

OTOH, I've seen *tons* of postings of English programs from churches, that's why I was tempted to sign my parents up for them.

Thanks for the links! I'll definitely check out the community and senior centers for both cities. They all look so nice and new. Can't wait to visit them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by compSciGuy View Post
Going to a Chinese church in DFW, I would consider them a minority if they actually believed in God, read or understood the Bible, etc. Most people are there just to socialize with other Chinese people. Although a noticeable number are there to exploit their Chineseness to do things like sell real estate, insurance, cars, cosmetics, vitamins, etc.
Ha! I never knew my Chineseness is worth exploiting. Now I know. If you don't mind, could you tell me the name of your church? (I'd understand if you don't want to share it, as it gets kind of too personal for forum purposes.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamiltonpl View Post
I wouldn't necessarily advertise that they are atheists. But that should be obvious from a common-sense perspective.
I'll make sure they keep it on the down low.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
Additionally, HPPC offers music lessons (piano, voice, organ, oboe), sports & fitness classes (yoga, aerobics, zumba, stretch & strengthen), has an extensive free library with both religious and secular books and magazines, etc.
Wow, thanks for the recommendation. I'll definitely check them out. HPPC sounds like it is better organized than most California community colleges.

I don't really know what my parents' objection to religion is, specifically. I don't think it is based on philosophy or cultural differences. If I have to guess, they're just lazy about going to Church on Sundays.

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
That is the reason most churches host such events. To be a part of the community.
That is so wonderful and heart warming. There's a real sense of community around here. I'm so glad I moved here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twincam666 View Post
This is my experience only. But I am Catholic raised, but only go to Church for Wedding and Funerals.

I have noticed some people in Texas try pushing religion on others, especially the older folks....But it's not a problem really........
I haven't experienced any "pushing" at all. I guess the closest thing is that a couple of times when I chat with folks they'll randomly ask me which church I go to. But when I say I don't go to one, they don't really push the issue.

At first I thought they were trying to convert me. But now I understand that Church is such a big part of the community, it is a fairly natural and innocent question (it's like in CA where we ask each other which gym we belong to).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas