Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2011, 11:51 PM

1,245 posts, read 3,435,423 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
My question to you is how many Hispanic bosses have you had? How much Spanish have you had to speak at your job? Have much Spanish music do you listen to? How often do you collaborate with Hispanics on important decisions? Are the majority of your neighbors Spanish speakers/bilingual or are they white Anglo? How many Hispanic parades and cultural events do you attend to? Are a lot of your neighbors Black? Do you associate with them?
Other than the first, your questions are meaningless. English is the language of the united states. This not "white hegemony." English is not a universal white language. It was not even the language of a significant majority of the original white settlers of the US. It is also the language spoken by blacks in America. So this is a dismissible point. How much Spanish music do I listen to? Not much, but some. Much of it is not to my taste. Nor is rap. Nor; however, is the Top 40 music preferred by white audiences. Obviously it is the dominant music of "white culture" or it wouldn't be "top 40" on radio stations aimed at the white marketplace would it? I also know a number of Hispanics who also never listen to much other than "Spanish" music. This is a matter of taste not "white hegemony" How often do I collaborate of Hispanics on important decisions? Constantly, one of my doctors is Hispanic and I have serious medical problems. Most of the parents at my son's school are Hispanic. If; however, I were well, and lived a few blocks east and north this would not be true. If I were Hispanic and lived in a majority Hispanic neighborhood that would also not be true.
As for the majority of my neighbors, personally my neighborhood is a pretty good mix of hispanic and white; however this and the rest of your questions, are not really relevant to this idea of "white hegemony" either. The real issue here is self segregation. This is something which I the ink is a problem, but it is something that is increasing not decreasing.
My wife recently took a class on Teaching & Cultural Diversaty, the mani premise of which was that the "melting pot" idea where all cultures blend together keeping parts of each and assimilating into a new, better, constantly changing American culture, was poison, over, and a discredited idea.
THAT view is the problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2011, 12:14 AM

285 posts, read 568,174 times
Quote:
The people of color you pointed out have very similar lifestyles, personalities, educational trainings, and viewpoints.

In the real world and in general Blacks and Hispanics make much less in wages; therefore they have much less power and influence in general. In general Blacks and Hispanics hold less power in the majority of the cities and corporations in the USA even if they are more in numbers. If they are on the board of directors or board of regents (which is rare) discrimination issues are covered up so as to save reputation and to not end up in court. Don't believe me? Then watch a documentary called Wal-Mart: The High Cost of Low Price.
So you are insinuating that Hispanics and blacks are typically lower-earning, lower educated, and more likely to end up incarcerated because there is a white "oligarchy" intent on suppressing the advances of blacks and Hispanics towards the higher levels of corporate and political America (or from having a significant presence in corporate America at all).

OK, got it.

Nevermind the fact that, almost without exception, these minority groups also have significantly lower academic achievement/IQ levels (even in "nice" areas - don't even bother with the "poverty cycle" argument), or that blacks and Hispanics have reached positions of power in the USA (as pointed out previously), and are provided numerous advantages e.g. affirmative action, minority scholarships, diversity quotas, etc. This intellectual/achievement gap is the real reason for the difference in average wages, not culture - unless, of course, you believe a totally free, comprehensive education for children (open to anyone of any color, even those here illegally) is simply a vehicle to maintain the Anglo "cultural hegemony" in the USA, in which case there is no hope for you...

Old 08-05-2011, 05:54 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,751,740 times
Quote:
You don't think they are a token group with similar ideology and lifestyle to white Anglo people i.e., similar to an astroturf group?

I love Dallas (great city) but the culture is not primarily Latin like in San Antonio or Miami. Dallas doesn't have the level of Spanish cultural festivals like San Antonio does: Dallas has the Latino Cultural Center and that's it. Even in ethnic cities like New Orleans there is a lot of discrimination by white hegemony. Let's not be foolish here. The Hispanic neighborhoods are segregated and a lot of them are immigrants or illegal aliens who hold virtually no influence over the culture.
But this is in no way specific to Dallas. Other than historically Hispanic or Black cities, whites tend to rule all even in cities where they make up a small percentage of the total population. But even then, Dallas has many minority leaders.

The days where Hispanics aren't in charge of Dallas are numbered since they are by far the largest and fastest growing group there.

Old 08-05-2011, 06:22 AM

2,348 posts, read 4,819,207 times
Quote:
The people of color you pointed out have very similar lifestyles, personalities, educational trainings, and viewpoints.

In the real world and in general Blacks and Hispanics make much less in wages; therefore they have much less power and influence in general. In general Blacks and Hispanics hold less power in the majority of the cities and corporations in the USA even if they are more in numbers. If they are on the board of directors or board of regents (which is rare) discrimination issues are covered up so as to save reputation and to not end up in court. Don't believe me? Then watch a documentary called Wal-Mart: The High Cost of Low Price.

My question to you is how many Hispanic bosses have you had? How much Spanish have you had to speak at your job? How much Spanish music do you listen to? How often do you collaborate with Hispanics on important decisions? Are the majority of your neighbors Spanish speakers/bilingual or are they white Anglo? How many Hispanic parades and cultural events do you attend to? Are a lot of your neighbors Black? Do you associate with them?
No hispanic bosses, no speaking spanish at my job. I Live in America where we speak English. I listen to a wide variety of music, including Spanish. Gipsey Kings are an example. I have a Spanish neighbor and a black neighbor, both of who I wave and speak casually too. But then again, I have white neighbors who live even closer and never talk to them. So yes I associate with them, doesn't matter to me.

I just wish minorities would stop using this cautionary tale logic as a point of leverage, because all it really does it make white people not want to associate with them. I mean there is only so much pointing out of what you think it wrong before someone is actually going to hold you to task and ask what your plan is to resolve it.

Old 08-05-2011, 03:36 PM

1,315 posts, read 2,681,036 times
Good point artsy....I agree that many parts of Plano are starting to show age.

Old 08-05-2011, 10:30 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,952,004 times
Hispanics might be the leaders in Dallas but that doesn't mean we will see a Miami, Texas anytime soon.

Dallas has been a welcoming and comfortable city for me to go to. I've had many great experiences there. But I still think it will take at least a decade before we see more Hispanic culture in Dallas. Dallas doesn't even do an annual Latino parade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
But this is in no way specific to Dallas. Other than historically Hispanic or Black cities, whites tend to rule all even in cities where they make up a small percentage of the total population. But even then, Dallas has many minority leaders.

The days where Hispanics aren't in charge of Dallas are numbered since they are by far the largest and fastest growing group there.

Old 08-06-2011, 07:44 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,751,740 times
Quote:
Hispanics might be the leaders in Dallas but that doesn't mean we will see a Miami, Texas anytime soon.

Dallas has been a welcoming and comfortable city for me to go to. I've had many great experiences there. But I still think it will take at least a decade before we see more Hispanic culture in Dallas. Dallas doesn't even do an annual Latino parade.
Give it time man. This stuff doesn't happen overnight. The Mexican majority is still new to Dallas. Most here were born in Mexico. It takes a couple of generations to get going.

Los Angeles doesn't have a Latino parade either and Latinos do run that city. Long Beach does have one.

Old 08-06-2011, 07:48 AM

1,245 posts, read 3,435,423 times
Quote:
Dallas doesn't even do an annual Latino parade.
Why should they? I mean do we do a European parade, or an African parade. Now a cultural festival is one thing - I enjoy the Irish, Scottish, and Asian ones - celebrating a culturally significant holiday as well, but a parade highlighting a continent of ethnic origin seems to me just another example of self segregation.

Old 08-06-2011, 09:16 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,952,004 times
Parades and festivals are the same to me ... and yes they celebrate Africa at Oak Cliff Cultural Center.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macbeth2003 View Post
Why should they? I mean do we do a European parade, or an African parade. Now a cultural festival is one thing - I enjoy the Irish, Scottish, and Asian ones - celebrating a culturally significant holiday as well, but a parade highlighting a continent of ethnic origin seems to me just another example of self segregation.

Old 09-17-2011, 04:37 PM

2 posts, read 2,960 times
I was born and raised in Southern CA and educated in New York. I lived in Seattle for a few years and now call Austin home. Austin is a wonderful place to live. You really can't compare Austin to any city in Texas. Austin is the ONLY city in the state of Texas that I would live. Austin is very similar to Seattle or Portland. Austin is a city that peole choose to live in, versus having to live in. Austin has many transplants from California, Seattle, Chicago, and many other sophisticated and advanced cities. Austin is the most expensive city in the State of TX, but compared to CA, NY, Seattle, and the likes, it's considered reasonable. Austin is consistently chosen as a top city for a reason. It's beautiful, diverse, highly-educated, and has a very non-Texas like feel to it. To understand Austin, you have to come and experience Austin. Dallas is nice too, but it's no Austin. Austin is often called weird or arrogant by others in Texas, because Austin is simply unsimilar to Any other city in Texas. However, Austin isn't for everyone...it's for those that have a taste for distinctness and want to live and not just reside. Coming from Southern CA, NY, and Seattle, I have high expectations and I can truly say that Austin has met and exceeded those expectations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas