Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2011, 09:32 AM

4 posts, read 20,566 times

Advertisements

So I'm down to Safeco or Allstate Insurance. Both comparable policies, but Safeco is $100 more. Opinions/thoughts? I did have one insurance agent that offers both say Safeco is the better policy, but I figured I'd see what others thought.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2011, 09:58 AM

325 posts, read 756,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsamandal View Post
So I'm down to Safeco or Allstate Insurance. Both comparable policies, but Safeco is $100 more. Opinions/thoughts? I did have one insurance agent that offers both say Safeco is the better policy, but I figured I'd see what others thought.
I assume you're not military or ex-military, as that would make it a no brainer then (to choose another company)....

Old 08-02-2011, 10:41 AM

5 posts, read 19,833 times
Do yourself a favor and look into one more company before you make a decision: Amica.

Old 08-02-2011, 11:00 AM

3,067 posts, read 8,405,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsamandal View Post
Be very careful what you choose and read the policies very, very closely before agreeing or signing for any! I am not sure how you came to the comparison results of the two but Allstate and Safeco basic policies are typically wide apart in cost, more than $100. These are for the "Admitted" policies here. You can perform a comparison using the Texas Department of Insurance rate guide comparison, along with a policy description of contents, at this URL https://apps.tdi.state.tx.us/helpins...rt.do?type=res .

The insurance regulations in Texas are very convoluted and can lead to much confusion. Basically it is illegal for an underwriter to sell insurance in Texas unless they are doing this through a Texas licensed Insurance Agent. However there are multiple types of homeowner policies that can be sold with some heavily regulated by TDI and others not at all. That can lead to some of the large rate differences you might encounter. The TDI comparison chart shows the "Admitted" carriers (regulated ones) and their policy offerings. These comparisons, and sample rates, are provided by the insurance companies to TDI for inclusion in the chart.

I would recommend that you check the TDI rate charts and when you do use it to compare Allstate, Safeco, and The Hartford policies. Every year I go through the game of checking rates and coverages and dollar for dollar I have not been able to find any other company that could beat The Hartford's coverage as compared to others. If you are using an independent Agent they also can quote from The Hartford, or any other provider. Many Agents prefer just to work with the providers they do the most business through and/or are familiar with.

If you need a referral for another independent Agent let me know. The Agent I use is EXCELLENT! She shops every provider and also looks at their plans to see if there is any way to keep your costs down.

Good luck on the hunt!

Old 08-02-2011, 12:04 PM

4 posts, read 20,566 times
I came to those two because of two independent agents I talk to, that compared several policies, one preferre Allstate and the other Safeco. One of them actually uses Safeco themself, so that made me feel fairly confident.

This is honestly the most frustrating thing I've done in the homebuying process.

Old 08-02-2011, 03:01 PM

2,482 posts, read 6,529,597 times
You can always change to another company- if this is something needed for a home purchase select one that fits your needs right now for the purchase and you can make changes or change policies after. It's not liking your signing the dotted line for life. I understand wanting that security of a good policy- pick a good one and go from there.

Old 11-12-2011, 09:11 PM

29 posts, read 76,678 times
Most insurance agents have one of about seven or eight companies that they would buy for themselves and Safeco is one of them; the rest they wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole. I can't count the number of times agents have burst into laughter over the companies chosen by their clients or newly licensed agents that don't know any better during an agent conference.

Old 11-16-2011, 07:15 AM

931 posts, read 2,134,109 times
I like Safeco they pay their claims and usually premiums pretty decent. I also had good luck with Travelers.

Old 11-16-2011, 11:36 AM

8,560 posts, read 11,210,493 times
Contact your local banker to inquire if they have any recommendation. Mine processed an eKemper dot com policy and saved about 20%.

Old 01-20-2012, 10:24 AM

1 posts, read 7,358 times
Safeco has been terrible for me, I'd stay away from them. They were great right up till I got in a no fault accident. Now even though I have no accidents on my record according to the government, they are increasing my insurance. well...... Time to find new Insurance:/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas