Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2011, 05:02 AM

20 posts, read 41,829 times

Advertisements

Yeah I hope that doesn't happen, I want her to hang out with people of all races....but I guess no matter what your race, kids (and adults even) have a tendency to hang around those they are most like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2011, 07:46 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,751,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nic3456 View Post
Yeah I hope that doesn't happen, I want her to hang out with people of all races....but I guess no matter what your race, kids (and adults even) have a tendency to hang around those they are most like.
In some places, yes. I personally have friends of all races and we regularly hang out.

As for wanting your daughter, I wouldnt worry much about it. If you put her in the schools in North Carrollton (the ones that feed into Creek View or Hebron High Schools), in Plano, Coppell, Irving, or even Lewisville, she will have lots of exposure to other races including lots of other Asian children.

Old 08-10-2011, 07:51 AM

3,020 posts, read 8,616,828 times
A few years ago when my son was looking to buy his first home, one of the top rated suburbs in D Magazine was Corinth. They have lived there 5 years and love it.

Old 08-10-2011, 07:55 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,690,784 times
I would rent a place.....any place that is convenient on a 6-12 month lease. Your kids are not in school yet. Get settled, explore and enjoy and when you are ready to buy come back here and ask more questions. Don't lock yourself into a home purchase yet. The market is likely to be very sluggish for a long time! You don't want to be in a new job situation that carries some risk and have the fact that you have taken on a mortgage in a buyers' market. You will feel too much pressure and deserve the emotional freedom of being able to focus on learning the new job and new city w/o also dealing with putting in a new fence, choosing window coverings, regretting the purchase b/c the neighbors' dogs run stray and the kid next door sneaks into your pool, etc. etc. etc. Sure would be alot more fun in the Fall taking your family on local outings during the weekends than raking piles and piles orf leaves in your heavily treed backyard. Newbies can have alot of fun learning their new town.....you'll be denying your family and yourself that chance b/c you will be so focused in the new job and new house. Way back in the 70's my spouse was on the company fast track and we were re-located frequently. The company was generous and covered all our buy/sell expenses. So we took a couple of trips and went with realtors and bought houses we could directly move into. Never once in that decade (and about 6 home purchases) did I not later wish I had known the area better before we bought because I always found another neighborhood at the same pricing that I would have prefered to live in. My salvation then was that we'd be moving again and the real estate market was hot in those days. You don't have the luxury of a hot market so for you it is even more critical that you avoid buying a house until you have experienced living here........ Just a few words from "Mom Squirl"

Last edited by Squirl; 08-10-2011 at 08:10 AM..

Old 08-10-2011, 08:05 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Quote:
[LEFT]My family and I appear to be relocating to TX. I will be working near the Vista Ridge mall in Lewisville. We would like to find a house in the 200-300K range with .5 acre or more (with some trees a heavy desire). Our best bets appear to be the NW (Corinth, Shady Shores,Highland village). Most houses I like appear to be cheaper in this area too, any good reason why? I would like a 20-30min average commute and I know my wife would like to be near activities for the kids, newer shopping areas, etc. (kids are age 3 & 6 months) We would like a good school district, but doesn't have to be the "best".

What I'm having trouble researching is how large the asian population (and/or adopted population)by city. We are Caucasian, but my daughter was adopted from Vietnam and I would like for her to have exposure to all races, especially Asian. (and not be the only Asian kid in her class)

Thanks for any tips!
[/LEFT]
Um. For the price and the lot size, you are right. You'll have to pick one of the above places you mentioned. There is some really nice land there.

Those places, I have noticed, are kind of 'country' in their population and there isn't that much diversity, per se. One thing that has struck me about that general area's population (more Corinth/Shady Shores) is that while they are nice and big-hearted, they also tend to be provincial.

I'd pick Carrollton if you're looking for that sort of a thing. Or like the others said, Coppell or Flower Mound. But then you will sacrifice on house.

If you go north of Lewisville, you will be headed down I35 southbound during peak traffic time. That is with traffic, and it will suck especially in the evening. If you go south of Vista Ridge, you will be golden, as you will always go against traffic (assuming you have a regular schedule).

FYI, my wife works right around where you're talking about and I work in Denton...we both have for about 6 years. And we live in West Plano. Her commute is 15-20 minutes in the morning, 25-30 in the evening.

So you have more choices than you might realize.

Old 08-10-2011, 08:07 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Quote:
Um, grew up in Plano and never just hung out with 'people of my own race.' In fact, my core group of friends were all white (christian and jewish) and one chinese.

Old 08-11-2011, 04:44 AM

621 posts, read 1,333,550 times
Quote:
[LEFT]My family and I appear to be relocating to TX. I will be working near the Vista Ridge mall in Lewisville. We would like to find a house in the 200-300K range with .5 acre or more (with some trees a heavy desire). Our best bets appear to be the NW (Corinth, Shady Shores,Highland village). Most houses I like appear to be cheaper in this area too, any good reason why? I would like a 20-30min average commute and I know my wife would like to be near activities for the kids, newer shopping areas, etc. (kids are age 3 & 6 months) We would like a good school district, but doesn't have to be the "best".

What I'm having trouble researching is how large the asian population (and/or adopted population)by city. We are Caucasian, but my daughter was adopted from Vietnam and I would like for her to have exposure to all races, especially Asian. (and not be the only Asian kid in her class)

Thanks for any tips!
[/LEFT]
I lived in Corinth for 7 years. it's a good area and great schools too. You can find large lots and a lot of nice homes in the $200 to $300 price range.
now that the new bridge/overpass to Little Elm and the one on Swisher to Flower Mound are open it's a lot more convenient too...
As far as Asian population, I know there are some. I had 2 Asian families right on my street there. I also saw Asian families in the area. I hope this helps
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas