Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2011, 04:57 PM

1,518 posts, read 5,269,990 times

Advertisements

Dallas, Texas

Population: 1,279,910

Located in Dallas County

Dallas, a richly diverse city, offers a thriving culinary scene, a leading arts district, countless luxury accommodations, professional sports, trendy entertainment districts and endless shopping opportunities. As the Southwest's leading business and financial center, we boast the largest wholesale market in the world, and lay claim to being one of the top convention cities in the United States.

Despite economic downturns in other cities across the country, the City of Dallas continues to experience sustained economic development and growth, especially in our expanded downtown neighborhoods and Southern Dallas business parks. Dallas is renowned for its commercial drive and cosmopolitan flair. With its concentration of high-tech companies, corporate headquarters and wholesale trade markets, it’s a metropolis devoted to business. Dallas also claims one of the largest urban arts districts in the U.S. and is a magnet for top scientists and doctors, including three Nobel laureates.

We have focused on the development of downtown Dallas over the past few years, to reach our goal of making downtown a 24-hour neighborhood. Downtown Dallas is glitzy, with several arts and entertainment districts nestled amid its futuristic corporate skyline. In 1999, about 500 people were living in the central business district. Today more than 3,700 call downtown home. Dallas is a leader in transit-oriented development, which provides new housing, adds sustainable density to accommodate the continued projected growth, provides new retail, employment and entertainment anchors for many of Dallas's single-family neighborhoods, it improves mobility and energy efficiency. And Dallas boasts a moderate cost of living, well below major East and West Coast cities.

Read more here: Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

The rest of the list: Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 11-08-2011 at 06:59 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2011, 08:13 PM

2,348 posts, read 4,818,617 times
Cool article..But more importantly, how in the sam-hell have I not run across this site in the past. Pretty cool.

Old 08-08-2011, 11:17 PM

436 posts, read 1,348,230 times
Very nice. I love to read nice things about my hometown. But we have plenty of people here already. Some people are going to have to leave before we accept more! :-)

Old 08-09-2011, 07:02 AM

2,256 posts, read 9,762,286 times
Was very sad to hear about Charles Wyly

>>Wyly was involved in numerous philanthropic efforts in Dallas. For instance, he was a member of the board of directors of the AT&T Performing Arts Center in Dallas. The Wyly family donated $20 million to help build the center, which includes the Dee and Charles Wyly Theatre.
Mark Weinstein, president and CEO of the AT&T Performing Arts Center, said Wyly “has left behind a tremendous legacy here in Dallas.”
[LEFT]
Read more: Charles Wyly, Co-Founder of Michaels Stores, Dies after Car Crash - Technorati Business
[/LEFT]

Old 08-09-2011, 07:07 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizziebeth View Post
Very nice. I love to read nice things about my hometown. But we have plenty of people here already. Some people are going to have to leave before we accept more! :-)
This. We're full up!

Old 08-09-2011, 07:34 AM

2,348 posts, read 4,818,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizziebeth View Post
What about me? Any room for me?

Old 08-09-2011, 07:40 AM

3,836 posts, read 4,443,155 times
[quote=hamiltonpl;20372401]Dallas, Texas

Population: 1,279,910

Located in Dallas County

Dallas, a richly diverse city, offers a thriving culinary scene, a leading arts district, countless luxury accommodations, professional sports, trendy entertainment districts and endless shopping opportunities. As the Southwest's leading business and financial center, we boast the largest wholesale market in the world, and lay claim to being one of the top convention cities in the United States.

Despite economic downturns in other cities across the country, the City of Dallas continues to experience sustained economic development and growth, especially in our expanded downtown neighborhoods and Southern Dallas business parks. Dallas is renowned for its commercial drive and cosmopolitan flair. With its concentration of high-tech companies, corporate headquarters and wholesale trade markets, it’s a metropolis devoted to business. Dallas also claims one of the largest urban arts districts in the U.S. and is a magnet for top scientists and doctors, including three Nobel laureates.

We have focused on the development of downtown Dallas over the past few years, to reach our goal of making downtown a 24-hour neighborhood. Downtown Dallas is glitzy, with several arts and entertainment districts nestled amid its futuristic corporate skyline. In 1999, about 500 people were living in the central business district. Today more than 3,700 call downtown home. Dallas is a leader in transit-oriented development, which provides new housing, adds sustainable density to accommodate the continued projected growth, provides new retail, employment and entertainment anchors for many of Dallas's single-family neighborhoods, it improves mobility and energy efficiency. And Dallas boasts a moderate cost of living, well below major East and West Coast cities.

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

The rest of the list: Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

This is the crap that gets to me...no DFW HAS felt the brunt of the recession just like other cities!!! There are PLENTY of people here who have been unemployed for over a year!! Why do you think they now call Frisco "Frisclosure"??? People are losing jobs, homes and livelihoods just like anywhere else in the US!!!

The really sad thing is that some poor sap in Detroit is going to read this and come running down here expecting jobs to rain down...only to get the shock of their lives when they learn that there's unemployment down here too. This needs to stop. It doesnt help anyone.

Last edited by Yac; 11-08-2011 at 06:58 AM..

Old 08-09-2011, 07:53 AM

19,796 posts, read 18,085,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biafra4life View Post
This is the crap that gets to me...no DFW HAS felt the brunt of the recession just like other cities!!! There are PLENTY of people here who have been unemployed for over a year!! Why do you think they now call Frisco "Frisclosure"??? People are losing jobs, homes and livelihoods just like anywhere else in the US!!!

The really sad thing is that some poor sap in Detroit is going to read this and come running down here expecting jobs to rain down...only to get the shock of their lives when they learn that there's unemployment down here too. This needs to stop. It doesnt help anyone.
Squelch the emotion please.

Dallas along with Austin and Houston have fared much better than nearly any other big cities across the US.

Are things perfect here? - no. Are things better here than just about any big city in the US? - yes they are.

Old 08-09-2011, 08:17 AM

3,836 posts, read 4,443,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
Squelch the emotion please.

Dallas along with Austin and Houston have fared much better than nearly any other big cities across the US.

Are things perfect here? - no. Are things better here than just about any big city in the US? - yes they are.

THe article implies that Dallas is doing well in this recession, which is just not true. Now granted we are not Detroit, but it's hardly peachy over here...someone reading this article would be led to believe that it's gravy over here and come rushing over expecting jobs and a great economy...and they would be wrong. This is why I disagree with this article.

I have seen that you are consistently one of the big cheerleaders for how great Texas is doing...I'm guessing that you live in a sheltered circle where everyone is doing great...meanwhile, back in the real world, I know and have seen far too many people cut down by this recession. I myself barely escaped from one company that declared bankrupcy and laid everyone off a month after I left...my present company instituted a 5 per cent pay cut right before I got there...at my church there are too many people who are hurting...and these are white collar professionals with degrees in all facets... engineering, finance, you name it.

This article does not seem to acknowledge the fact that Texas DID NOT escape this recession...we have this little bitty thing called a $27 billion deficit...everything is being cut education, services, etc. This article is doing everyone a disservice. Giving desperate people in other parts of the country a false hope about how great Texas is...

Old 08-09-2011, 08:37 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biafra4life View Post
THe article implies that Dallas is doing well in this recession, which is just not true. Now granted we are not Detroit, but it's hardly peachy over here...someone reading this article would be led to believe that it's gravy over here and come rushing over expecting jobs and a great economy...and they would be wrong. This is why I disagree with this article.

I have seen that you are consistently one of the big cheerleaders for how great Texas is doing...I'm guessing that you live in a sheltered circle where everyone is doing great...meanwhile, back in the real world, I know and have seen far too many people cut down by this recession. I myself barely escaped from one company that declared bankrupcy and laid everyone off a month after I left...my present company instituted a 5 per cent pay cut right before I got there...at my church there are too many people who are hurting...and these are white collar professionals with degrees in all facets... engineering, finance, you name it.

This article does not seem to acknowledge the fact that Texas DID NOT escape this recession...we have this little bitty thing called a $27 billion deficit...everything is being cut education, services, etc. This article is doing everyone a disservice. Giving desperate people in other parts of the country a false hope about how great Texas is...
I agree 100%. This is not the land of milk and honey. It's rough out there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: