Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2011, 02:54 PM

1 posts, read 1,795 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I am planning to relocate from California to Dallas, TX possibly next year for personal reason. I have a BS degree in Human Resources Management. Since graduating in 2010, I've been working as a HR Generalist for a company here in CA so I have very entry level experience in HR (about 1 year.) I tried to apply for jobs in Dallas but it didn't yield any results. I understand most employers aren't comfortable hiring an out of state applicants; however I've just been trying my luck. I am afraid I just have to pack up, move to Dallas then begin my job search there. I'd have around $25,000 saved up by next March, which I am planning to use as my emergency fund. Furthermore, I am thinking of renting a room instead of an apartment so that my saving will go further. I should have no problem surviving approximately a year there without any income coming in, at least I hope so. Now onto my question, how is the job market for entry level HR positions in Dallas TX? I am thinking of relocating to the Plano, Richardson or Mesquite area.

Thank you for all your input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2011, 06:04 PM

11,858 posts, read 26,891,424 times
Yes, employers do not want to hire non-local applicants because they often have to fill positions quickly, and they also assume you will want paid relocation, etc. SO much of finding a position in HR is networking! Dallas HR is a start. You will need to make contacts and network quickly to find even an entry-level HR position.

You need to find a job before you decide where to live. Plano, Richardson and Mesquite are large areas, and commutes here can be pretty lengthy. You will want to live close to where you work to minimize both time and expense (fuel, tolls) of a lengthy commute.

If you're moving somewhere without finding a job first, honestly consider North Dakota. The economy is BOOMING there, even more than Texas, and they are begging for people to come and work.

Old 09-05-2011, 06:45 PM

119 posts, read 247,902 times
Two things to consider: look at Sodexo, Morrisson, etc. for HR jobs if you're okay with working as HR in a hospital. It's difficult for anyone to get hired in HR down here, period, but those types of companies sometimes have jobs in DFW. It's good that you have a Bachelor's. If you have it from a well-known school that's even better.

Another point to consider involves your cover letter-- mention that you plan on relocating to Dallas within the near future, i.e. a month when you will be moving in a month.

Companies *will* hire out-of-state but you do need to mention your intent to move in the CL. Otherwise, they may trash your application because they think you may be just sending applications anywhere/everywhere hoping to get a bite.

Good luck!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas