Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2011, 08:57 PM

2 posts, read 2,989 times

Advertisements

OK, gang, I've searched and read other threads, but these things are just so situation-specific (or so we like to think), and you guys are so helpful, that I decided to start a new thread....

The Deal:

My wife and I are looking to move. We're targeting the $275,000 to $300,000 price range, with $300k being the absolute max we're willing to spend at this point. We're open to a new build or a pre-owned home.

Priorities:

- good elementary school
- relative proximity to Rockwall (anything in Frisco and west of Tollway is out; Allen is in, but anything north of that is not)

Just to add another wrinkle to the mix...my wife does not like cookie cutter suburbia. Basically, her dream find would be a unique home like Lakewood/Canyon Creek/Prairie Creek (but updated or new), with a good school, decently renovated, for under $300k.

Is this possible? Are we crazy? Do we have too many demands? Thanks for reading and for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2011, 09:17 PM

1,282 posts, read 3,558,664 times
Hmmm...well, the neighborhoods you mentioned will be tough for your budget...especially if you are looking for something updated. For older neighborhoods, I would look at some of the other nicer neighborhoods on the western side of Richardson...Heights Park and The Reservation come to mind, but I know there are a few more. Not quite as pricey as Canyon Creek/Prairie Creek, but have a very similar feel. For newer homes, you may want to look in the Firewheel area of Garland...lots of trees, and for a newer area, they did a pretty good job trying to stray from the cookie cutter feel. A little further north, I would recommend Watters Crossing in Allen...one of the better (read: less cookie cutter) newer developments in that area....plus walkable to many shops and restaurants and a fantastic trail system.

Old 09-06-2011, 09:20 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,384,306 times
My brother and his wife tried to find something decent in Lakewood/M Streets for $500k for months. No luck. Wound up moving to Preston Hollow.

Old 09-06-2011, 09:22 PM

4,207 posts, read 15,260,214 times
The biggest issue from your short list of wants is that you are looking for the unique home. That isn't something easy to find in suburbia.

You can get a very nice home in the Rockwall area and the schools are very good. However, there aren't any homes like most of those in Lakewood such as craftsman, bungalow or older eras. You may want to consider Lake Highlands, it's zoned to Richardson school district and the homes are older but many of them are nicely updated.

Another area in North Dallas, close to Preston and Frankfort area is in the city of Dallas but zoned for Plano school district and there are several pockets with some contemporary homes and custom homes.

Naima

Old 09-06-2011, 09:36 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,296,127 times
You could find a great house in your price range in Heights Park, The Reservation, or Canyon Creek in Richardson; all have outstanding elementary schools, all are in the 75080 zip code.

Old 09-07-2011, 07:43 AM

11,858 posts, read 26,887,205 times
Will you be commuting to Rockwall on a daily basis, or just occasionally visiting family there?

Rockwall itself is a really neat place and there are a lot of unique homes there. In the downtown area, there are even some cute, old Victorian-type homes. If you wanted to be on a couple of acres in the semi-rural countryside, you can find some really nice places in your budget.

Old 09-07-2011, 09:25 AM

2,348 posts, read 4,819,718 times
Maybe a tad out of your price range, but I would say this qualifies as unique.

MLS: 11488393

Old 09-07-2011, 09:51 AM

71 posts, read 119,731 times
Canyon Creek in Richardson (Collin County side) would be my recommendation. It's established, and most of the homes are in good condition due to renovation. Also, Bush Turnpike (locally known as 190 to some) provides easy access east and west, and in 2012 will be completed around to I-30 to get to Rockwall much faster than driving sidestreets through Garland and Rowlett...

I say Collin County side as opposed to Dallas County. I'm not a big fan of Dallas county, having been raised there.

Canyon Creek's HOA website: Canyon Creek Homeowners Association - Richardson, Texas

Old 09-07-2011, 10:51 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,296,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
Canyon Creek in Richardson (Collin County side) would be my recommendation. It's established, and most of the homes are in good condition due to renovation. Also, Bush Turnpike (locally known as 190 to some) provides easy access east and west, and in 2012 will be completed around to I-30 to get to Rockwall much faster than driving sidestreets through Garland and Rowlett...

I say Collin County side as opposed to Dallas County. I'm not a big fan of Dallas county, having been raised there.

Canyon Creek's HOA website: Canyon Creek Homeowners Association - Richardson, Texas
Crossing the CoCo line puts them in Plano schools, though. Personally I think the RISD schools that CC is zoned to are superior to the PISD ones, but that's just my opinion.

Old 09-07-2011, 11:05 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,306,718 times
I'd look in Lake Highlands which is RISD schools. You still get to be close to White Rock Lake and all the pretty parks and trails north of the lake in LH. Houses are mostly 1950-1960's ranches and cottages- more charm/character than suburbia but less than Lakewood. And great access to 635 E to get to Rockwall. Probably about a 25 minute commute via 635 and I-30E. Should be against traffic, too.

You can probably find a home under $300k in Lakewood Elementary in the neighborhood just north of Mockingbird, east of Abrams. Or in Hollywood Heights (southeast of the Lakewod Country Club with great access to I-30E) which is also zoned to Lakewood Elemetary. If you're just needing elementary school and willing to move or do private schools after 5th grade, the neighborhoods on the east bank of White Rock zoned to Hexter Elementary are also worth a look. I'll pull some listings for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas