Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2011, 11:39 AM

159 posts, read 575,353 times

Advertisements

My sister and her family of 10 are being transfered from Boston to Westlake. They are looking at real estate around Grapevine, Flower Mound, Lewisville, and The Colony. I don't have a lot of info about those areas so I'm not sure which city to recommend. Does anybody have any suggestions about which area is the best?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2011, 12:18 PM

11,858 posts, read 26,881,949 times
What is her budget for housing? I assume they will need a large house with that large of a family.

Take The Colony off the list. The drive from there to Westlake is not a good one as there is no direct route. The town is also full of small, older houses and the schools are not good. Flower Mound will work as long as it is on the west side. The east side will be a surface street commute with a lot of school zones and stop lights. Lewisville is also a similar situation. Southlake is very close to Westlake, but that will depend on her budget. Keller, Roanoke, Trophy Club and north Fort Worth are close to Westlake. Grapevine isn't too far away.

FYI: Westlake isn't near Lake Lewisville. It's near Lake Grapevine.

Old 09-08-2011, 02:37 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,878,910 times
I don't know where Lake Lewisville came in there--but the other stuff about price point/house size is very important
there are some areas that won't have a 5 bedroom house--period--and most homes with more than 4 bedrooms are going to be difficult to locate and likely expensive

and are they home schooling or private or public--

towns in TX are not tied to one district in that town's city limits--ISDs flow into many towns and some towns have many ISDs in their boundaries--
makes a difference on price and desireability when one town that normally is desireable has areas in school districts that aren't--
one reason why some homes seem like they are a "real bargain" compared to others

road work on 114 is going on and traffic is the pits there during the rush hours
also some work on 1709/Southlake Blvd and 121
so commuting can be a pain

Old 09-08-2011, 02:50 PM

3,478 posts, read 6,559,658 times
What's their budget and are schools important? And did you mean Lake Grapevine? That would make more sense.

Old 09-08-2011, 02:59 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,690,784 times
If there was a single best area the others simply would not exist
Your sister's budget, school needs for children, commute, kind of activities, desire for walkability, preferred neighborhood style (community pool? HOA?), kind of homes (new, old, custom, etc.) are all factors.

That said; if you want to know the best place to live when you work in Westlake. Wellllll,,,,, with the info you provided, its Westlake.

Old 09-08-2011, 04:52 PM

621 posts, read 1,333,550 times
Best area around the lake is probably the Lake Cities area Corinth, Hickory Creek......

Old 09-09-2011, 07:03 AM

5,007 posts, read 15,425,311 times
The best area is Highland Village, but that can get pretty pricey.

Old 09-09-2011, 07:58 AM

159 posts, read 575,353 times
My brother-in-law is a VP for Fidelity, and he is being transfered to the new Fidelity headquarters in Westlake, but Westlake and Southlake seem to be a little out of their price range. The CEO recommended that they check out the areas around Grapevine, Flower Mound, Lewisville, and The Colony. Those areas seem to be more in their price range. They have not arrived yet so they wanted me get some info on those areas before they start viewing houses. I was thinking those cities were near Lake Lewisville but apparently they aren't. So anyways, they are going to need a large house that can fit 10 people. They prefer sending their kids to Catholic school but they are willing to consider public school. It would have to be an area that is family friendly with lots of things for kids to do. Something within a 45 minute commute to Westlake would probably be ideal.

Old 09-09-2011, 08:22 AM

6,578 posts, read 25,468,083 times
They might look at Irving and consider The Highlands School - which is an independent Catholic school and after you pay for 4 kids, other siblings attend tuition free. It's a conservative school - Legionaries of Christ - with single gender classes after 4th grade.

The Highlands School Irving, Texas Private Catholic College Preparatory Education

Old 09-09-2011, 10:19 AM

3,478 posts, read 6,559,658 times
I would suggest the Highlands as well--there are lots of Catholic schools in the Dallas area, though not nearly as many in the area you are looking as there are in Dallas proper. However, I think you would have a heck of a time finding a house large enough/cheap enough in Irving/Las Colinas.

Based on the info you just provided, I would say look in Keller, Flower Mound, and Double Oak if there is any chance they might use public schools. If they are definitely going the private route, check out Grapevine (Grapevine schools aren't bad, though) and Lewisville as well. Honestly, I'm not too keen on Lewisville, but they may get more for their money depending what their budget is. IMHO, The Colony is just too far to be worth it. Flower Mound, Keller, Southlake, and Grapevine are going to have more of the "family-oriented" atmosphere I think they are looking for vs. Lewisville.

Southlake and Trophy Club would be awesome, but they are pricey. If you can give a better idea of budget, we could really narrow it down for you and give examples.

Here are some Flower Mound Homes:

1812 Haversham Dr Flower Mound TX - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - MLS #11611890 - Realtor.com® (Love this neighborhood/floor plan and I'm pretty sure my parents--family of 7--looked at this house when it was for sale 7 years ago!)

4109 Marbella Dr Flower Mound TX - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - MLS #11597737 - Realtor.com®

Keller Examples:

4921 Bob Wills Dr Fort Worth TX - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - MLS #11641306 - Realtor.com® (I don't think you are going to find anything bigger than this in this price range)

9729 Meribee Dr Fort Worth TX - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - MLS #11581927 - Realtor.com®
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas