Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2006, 04:10 PM

7 posts, read 26,883 times

Advertisements

Hi. My family currently lives in Irving and in the past five years since we've been here, the city has declined drastically! We are looking to move SOON but, are really having a hard time with choosing a city to start in. I LOVE Flower Mound but, good, affordable houses seem to go fast! We've also looked at Oak Point? and Justin...the housing seems afforadble, though, we haven't found much info on the schools. That's really the most important thing to us, as we have young children. My husband says the extra drive is worth it, as long as we get out of Irving. Our budget only allows for $150-200K. Please, anyone with info on these towns or other possibilities? Thanks so much in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2006, 05:35 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,882,290 times
Where would you be commuting to for work?

I totally understand about Irving. And to think the Irving Mall was the only mall we could drag my dad to when I was a kid. But this was back when it was only one story and nothing was around it. My folks are facing the same thing in Carrollton but they don't need to worry about schools since they only have grandkids that are in school. They finally put a sign in the yard after my dad came home last week and said, "That's it. We ARE moving!". The people down the street had put out a clothes line in the FRONT yard and had clothes hanging on it. And these are rear entry houses. YIKES!!!

Old 09-06-2006, 06:31 PM

437 posts, read 2,239,180 times
That is interesting you say that about Irving. They had a marathon on tv the other day about most of Texas and where the drugs were and Texas Swatt teams came in and closed down lots of drug houses there. Lots of gangs also. Sorry Irving, have to tell the truth.

I feel for you. Here in Calif, that is what we want to do is get out of here.

Good luck to you. I hope you find a nice, quiet place to relax.

Old 09-06-2006, 08:42 PM

Thanks, I hope we find a nice place and quick!

My husband will be commuting to North Dallas, though, he says it's worth the drive from almost anywhere.(almost ) I'm really sad about it...I love Irving and Las Colinas. It's just gotten worse, too fast. It's a different city than it was 5 years ago! Our church is in South Dallas so we really can't stray too far.

Anyone else with any info, I'd really appreciate it! I'm so glad I found this forum!

Old 09-07-2006, 07:58 AM

Wow. I just read that D Magazine article and see that Oak Point was rated with the worst crime.

Anyone know anything about Justin, Texas??? Northwest ISD??

Old 09-07-2006, 08:29 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,882,290 times
As much as I say that you need to check out that article you also need to check out more than what is in print there. The numbers may be skewed so that it looks like they have a high crime rate (can not say for sure on that one in particular). You should be able to look on the cities websites for their crime stats and the breakdown of what/why, etc. Do they have a large number of dwi's or are they murders/rapes?

Same goes w/ the schools ratings. The TAKS test results are goofy to say the least. Did you read the editoral in the DMN recently about JJ Pearce HS in the Richardson ISD? This gives a perfect example of how the ratings do not give an accurate picture of the schools. If one small subgroup of minority students does not fare well then the schools ratings drop. So you could have over 90% of the entire student body pass the TAKS w/ flying colors but if a small handful in a subgroup (and this could be as low as 5 students) do not then that schools ratings drop. There is a thread on the main Texas part that I started that gives the link to the TEA and you can look up every school in every district and see exactly how they fared and if it was a small subgroup that made the schools ratings drop.

Old 09-10-2006, 04:06 PM

702 posts, read 2,723,965 times
I used to live in Irving and my parents still do but they are also planning on moving out soon. The city really has changed for the worse within these last 5 years. The city really needs to start buying out apartments and getting rid of the people that live in them... that alone would improve the city drastically. Irving along with all of the inner ring suburbs.. the ones closest to Dallas.. are now maturing and facing the same problems Dallas has for years.

Old 09-10-2006, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan#1 View Post
I used to live in Irving and my parents still do but they are also planning on moving out soon. The city really has changed for the worse within these last 5 years. The city really needs to start buying out apartments and getting rid of the people that live in them... that alone would improve the city drastically. Irving along with all of the inner ring suburbs.. the ones closest to Dallas.. are now maturing and facing the same problems Dallas has for years.
I totally agree. We are currently surrounded by apartments and some of them look like they are about to fall apart! It's really sad b/c it's a great central location and has access to all major highways.

Old 03-28-2007, 07:28 PM

2 posts, read 5,975 times
Smile nannanet

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommaLuvs3 View Post
Hi. My family currently lives in Irving and in the past five years since we've been here, the city has declined drastically! We are looking to move SOON but, are really having a hard time with choosing a city to start in. I LOVE Flower Mound but, good, affordable houses seem to go fast! We've also looked at Oak Point? and Justin...the housing seems afforadble, though, we haven't found much info on the schools. That's really the most important thing to us, as we have young children. My husband says the extra drive is worth it, as long as we get out of Irving. Our budget only allows for $150-200K. Please, anyone with info on these towns or other possibilities? Thanks so much in advance!
we've been looking north of 183, between 121 and 360, north close to Grapevine. nice homes and schools are pretty good, I hear. We've lived in Irving for 35 years in the same home and are looking to move also. I've heard that Irving is cracking down on illegals, but not much progress that I can see. Big shopping center planned for section between MacArthur and Nursery, and from Shady Grove to the rail road tracks. But don't know a date. And yes it has gotten so bad, it is sad to remember what it was like 10 to 20 years ago, Time to move on I guess

Old 03-29-2007, 09:05 AM

Thanks for all the replies! I am sooo glad to say that we are in the process of buying a new house and will finally be out of Irving within the next three weeks.

nannanet~I'm so sorry you are also looking to move due to the declining of Irving. When we moved here, most of our neighbors had lived in the same house for 40+ years and even witnessed our house being built. Sadly, only one of them is left and with all the recent repairs they have been doing, I can't help but to wonder if they will be making a move soon as well. As far as the illegals crackdown, I hardly see that happening especially with the current mayor. Irving is more of a haven for them.

The area you are looking in is great, IMO. We will be relatively close to there as well. Good luck with your search. I hope you find what you're looking for!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas