Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2007, 08:35 PM

458 posts, read 2,775,650 times

Advertisements

What are some of your opinions on these two areas? We are looking at Arlington but are starting to think that maybe it isn't the right place and that we want something a little smaller and less congested. I think Arlington would be ok but it seems like Colleyville and Grapevine both have what we want. Close to Arlington and Dallas, close to the airport, close to Ft. Worth.

Your thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2007, 08:38 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,952,004 times
Grapevine has a huge state of the art mall called grapevine mills and near that are other entertainment venues that you can hang out at. There is also a huge church there I forgot the name that most people really love.

Old 08-19-2007, 08:46 PM

458 posts, read 2,775,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Grapevine has a huge state of the art mall called grapevine mills and near that are other entertainment venues that you can hang out at. There is also a huge church there I forgot the name that most people really love.
That sounds nice... Do you know if either of these areas have bad traffic problems like Arlington seems to have? Also do they have the same type of feeling to them like Ft. Worth and Arlington have? I could definitly tell a difference in the types of people and all in just going from Arlington into Dallas. I definitly want to be within reasonable driving distance from downtown Dallas but I don't think I'd want to live over on that side of the Metroplex.

Old 08-20-2007, 04:59 AM

48 posts, read 291,616 times
I would lean toward Colleyville if you can afford it. Good schools , central location, you can hit 121 114 and 360 pretty easily, as you can in Grapevine.
Grapevine is a bit.....um......more Dallas like, if you get my meaning.
Arlington just seams like an extention of Dallas.

Old 08-20-2007, 06:51 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,878,910 times
you should post this thread on Fort Worth link--much more activity/knowledge about Colleyville and Grapevine

traffic--yes--there is traffic in both Colleyville and Grapevine--in the morning/evening traffic going through Grapevine on the big freeway interchange is bad -- Grapevine has nice historical area downtown--has the Gaylord Texan resort and another resort going in close to it--trying for lots of convention bookings--nice city golf course and the Cowboys more expensive one--Grapevne Mills is an ok mall, hav Virgin Records and big AMC theater and skateboard park but I mainly shop at NorthEast in Hurst--
lots of chain and independent restaurants in Grapevine and Colleyville
--hospital is Baylor Grapevine--it is pretty good one...
Grapevine has more tract homes--more affordable than Colleyviille--some people would say that Grapevine is more downscale than Colleyville since the per capita income is less--that Grapevine schools are not quite as good as colleyville's--but it is same district except for few homes that are in Southlake-Carroll ISD in Grapevine and some Colleyville homes could be in Keller ISD or HEB ISD--
Grapevine's knock to me is smaller lots/tract homes, fewer homes with 3 car garages, have noticed that Grapevine seems to have quite a few homes with all beds up which is something I find unattractive but others might not---more hilly land so some areas have two-level backyards and problems with slab construction...Getting out of Grapevine can be problem since freeways are crowded most of the time--most locals know how to use surface streets to get around---some areas have fly-over noise from DFW planes...

Colleyville has way more expensive homes than Grapevine but also some
under 400,000===lots can be larger but those homes are usualy older and or newer, more expensive--MacMansion syndrome is pretty strong in Colleyville---Hwy 26/Grapevine Hwy is really just a 4 lane road that will be undergoing construction--will make getting through Colleyville N/S really, really bad--that is very busy road almost all the time now and if it gets cut back to only half as many lanes then traffic will be twice as congested...some business will probably fail because of the construction boondoggle....
Taxes are higher in Colleyville than Grapevine--Grapevine gets tax money from the airport--Colleyville tried to start a very chic upscale shopping/restaurant mecca off 26 where their city library is located--some villa/apartments as well--but the businesses re having a difficult time getting enough business to stay open--unlike Southlake's walk-around open-air shopping this one has lousy parking and there is really not enough room for commercial shops to make it attractive for main-stream businesses like Sharper Image, Gap, Crate and Barrell which need high-volume traffic count which are in the Southlake Center...the townhomes there are expensive but some of them have sold--very expensive restaurant has closed and also one that was more like bakery/cafe--toy store has closed--just don't see this as really a viable commercial center--the one across the road has movie theater, book store, MarketStreet grocery and some other restaurants and shops and seems to be doing much more retail business...

Colleyville and Grapevine are both nice areas--think that most people would say the schools and the other factors make them more attractive and better long-term buy than Arlington--but some areas of Arlington are lovely and there are good schools in AISD--some people are very happy living there..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas