Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2007, 06:08 PM

2,256 posts, read 9,765,738 times

Advertisements

I would like to go to the Farmer's Market on Saturday, I googled a map but I'm not sure which exit to get off of going south on 75 and where to park. I'm assuming it's safe and will be worthwhile?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2007, 09:16 AM

2,231 posts, read 6,070,872 times
Enter downtown Dallas, and go south on Harwood street until you come to a farmers market consisting of several shedlike buildings, and a large sign that reads "Dallas Farmers Market". If you don't know how to get to downtown Dallas via US75, you need to look at a map.

You are not at an extraordinary level of risk for your personal safety over there.

Is it worthwhile to you? I don't know. How could I?

Old 08-22-2007, 11:48 AM

415 posts, read 1,719,115 times
It's been a few years since I've been, but there was a lot of stuff with stickers from other countries. I'd always assumed a farmer's market was locally grown, but Chile seems a bit far to me..

If all you've ever had is store-bought fruits and vegetables, you'll probably like it. If you've ever had farm fresh, it'll seem like a grocery store to you.

Old 08-22-2007, 11:57 AM

197 posts, read 1,138,834 times
Take 75 Central southbound and exit at the Ross Street exit and then proceed west on Ross. When you get to Pearl, turn left and stay on it. It runs smack dab into the center of the Farmer's Market.

It's well worth it. All the farmers are in Shed 1 and will have a small sign that says 'Farmer' on it hanging on a post beside their stall. Any stall that says 'Dealer' is simply a person that buys stuff bulk at wholesale and then resells it -- they are not farmers and it may not even be local produce. All of the Dealers are in Shed 3, but there are 2 or 3 still left in Shed 1, so watch out for the signs. Tomatoes from Bettye's and Lemley's are at the height of the season now, and beat the tasteless crap you see in the stores -- even the stuff at Whole Foods.

Shed 2 is undergoing re-work, so the coffee, spice, meat and fish dealers are all jammed together in the middle section for the time being.

Have fun -- we go there at least 3 times a month year-round and it's perfectly safe!

Old 08-23-2007, 10:44 AM

415 posts, read 1,719,115 times
Oh, glad to hear that. May check it out again.

Old 08-23-2007, 04:50 PM

Thank you! The directions are helpful .... on the map it seems like a mish mash of highways and streets so I wanted to make sure I get off at the right place so that I don't spend forever trying to get back to where I should be. I have only been on 75 south to get onto interstate 30 so I'm not familiar w/that area. I'm glad there are Farmer's Market signs.

Old 08-23-2007, 05:06 PM

Thank you! Good information. Some farmer's markets I've been to have people set up with "as seen on tv" type items to sell, it's almost a flea market rather than farmer's market.

>>It's well worth it. All the farmers are in Shed 1 and will have a small sign that says 'Farmer' on it hanging on a post beside their stall. Any stall that says 'Dealer' is simply a person that buys stuff bulk at wholesale and then resells it -- they are not farmers and it may not even be local produce. All of the Dealers are in Shed 3, but there are 2 or 3 still left in Shed 1, so watch out for the signs. Tomatoes from Bettye's and Lemley's are at the height of the season now, and beat the tasteless crap you see in the stores -- even the stuff at Whole Foods.<<
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: