Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2011, 06:41 PM

2 posts, read 2,524 times

Advertisements

About two years ago I bought a home (foreclosure). I have become aware over the last two years that my house is right by a gas plant. H2S plant. (Very Dangerous Gas) If I knew this I would not have bought the home. The smell sometimes is just fowl. I have issues with breathing and sometimes this just makes it even harder for me to breathe. During the days or nights you can't even open your window because you get such a strong smell of rotten eggs. My question to anyone who can answer this for me, should I have been told this before I bought the home? If so what can I do about it now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2011, 07:19 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,820,805 times
There is a paragraph called "Environmental Matters" in the Texas contract. Read it.

Old 10-25-2011, 07:31 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,312,880 times
I don't think you're going to get the answer you're looking for. You- the buyer- are responsible for researching the area you're buying in (what businesses are around you, what the schools are like, etc). As long as the gas plant isn't on your property, the seller/bank/former owner are off the hook. Seller is only responsible for being truthful about the home's condition & history. Unless you can prove there's gas damage in your home AND that the damage was there while the former owner (the bank, in your case) owned it, it's going to be quite difficult to make a case against anyone.

Old 10-25-2011, 08:58 PM

2,348 posts, read 4,820,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcjmom View Post
About two years ago I bought a home (foreclosure). I have become aware over the last two years that my house is right by a gas plant. H2S plant. (Very Dangerous Gas) If I knew this I would not have bought the home. The smell sometimes is just fowl. I have issues with breathing and sometimes this just makes it even harder for me to breathe. During the days or nights you can't even open your window because you get such a strong smell of rotten eggs. My question to anyone who can answer this for me, should I have been told this before I bought the home? If so what can I do about it now?
Moderator cut: Off Topic But seriously, it's up to you to research current, and/or future land use in the general area of your home before you give them a penny..Just think, simply having downloaded Google earth on your computer or phone and turning on "places" might have told you that Gas Plant was there.

You have no recourse with the bank, maybe pursue it through your City, maybe Board of Health officials?? Might help to put it in writing, provide some proof it's a "nuisance" to you and your home. Think Health and Safety, infringing on your basic rights to "Light and Air" blah blah blah. Will be an uphill battle since it existed prior to you moving in. It's the equivalent to buying a home next to the Tollway and then asking to have the Tollway moved.

Sounds icky, best of luck.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 10-25-2011 at 10:58 PM.. Reason: Off Topic -this is a relocation forum, not a political forum.

Old 10-26-2011, 11:09 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,696,595 times
I buy foreclosures for investment. The banks do a pretty good job in the cya dept., and the property disclosures are typically very clear that the current owner has no knowledge of the property and it is a buyer beware situation.

I once owned a house adjacent to those electrical high poles that step thru neighborhoods like erector set construction. Years later my DH died of cancer. Living there, and having my home treated quarterly for insects, has always haunted me as potential contributing factors to his cancer. That was many years ago and public environmental sensitivity was not at today's high alert. Call your public health department and find out if the area has been consistently tested for air quality. If you find that the situation is not dangerout and if you are especially sensitive and others are not (ask your neighbors) perhaps you can lease your house to someone.

Old 10-26-2011, 02:43 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,175,792 times
Since the gas plant is not on the property I don't think the seller had to disclose it..You are required to do your own due diligence on the area, like in zoning matters for instance.*
* I'm not an attorney..

http://caselaw.findlaw.com/tx-court-...s/1090691.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas